Thread: really hard to find 4WD parts

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE 4WD

really hard to find 4WD parts

I have had a hell of a time trying to locate some parts for my 4WD that seem to be either discontinued by Toyota (or cost serious $$$), and/or are seemingly impossible to find in the aftermarket search. Wheels, spare wheel, and rear brake drums are just the tip of the iceberg. It would be extremely helpful to share this most confidential knowledge and save some 4WD owners from frustratingly endless search time. It would truly be appreciated.

My Van(s):
    Vanessa the 86 2wd cargo and Rusty the Troubled 89 4WD. Update: Rusty is dead. A trailer dragged him over a cliff. He is crumpled and in my front field and donating parts to keep Vanessa on the road.
    Canada's West Coast when working. Home in the West Chilcotin when not.

Re: really hard to find parts

Re: really hard to find parts
    I got lots of advice from lots of folk about 4wd rims.
    It seems that nothing out there is a perfect match. Only original 4wd van rims fit and are 14" but I used 15" suzuki sidekick rims with 'smaller' rubber to match up the ride height perfectly on my 89 4wd so I can use any of my eight tires as a spare now. I run on the sidekicks and keep a Toyota on the roof and in the carrier. The Suzuki rims have a one inch offset and stick out a little. I tell myself the van is more stable on corners now- but, really, I have no idea about that.
    As shipped by Toyota the van uses a 5 lug on a 5.5 inch center hole pattern and that is the same as a suzuki samurai, suzuki sidekick (what I found) and a geo tracker. There are some old ford and jeep wheels that fit too but I know nothing about them except that the offset is too much. If you want a decent chance to match tire height with these rims to stock then stick to the 15" diameter versions. The geo tracker rim is the only one of the bunch that actually has the same offset, the others stand the tire out wider - some so much your sliding door will bind.
    I wanted tracker rims but found sidekick ones so I have a slightly wider stance but no sliding door problems. My hub cap caps and rings don't fit back on but painting the drums orange turned out to be a better look than the rear caps were and the front rings were nothing to write home about anyways.
    On my sidekick 15" suzuki rims (which measure, without rubber, just over 16" across) I put:
    205/70 r15 and it made the ride height about 26.5" and a good match to the stockers.
    My toyota rims have 195/75r14 on them.
    My stock tire ride height is 26.1".
    I'm writing about the rubber sizes from memory. Don't go buy rubber based on this unless I go check the van or someone else confirms my numbers. I'm writing about the rims from notes.
    In my notes I wrote that the height cut off for me was 27.7". I think this is in the realm of 215/75s but in any case would require body trimming.
    There are places on the web where you can punch in numbers and get ride height. Ride height relates to circumference and tells us what we can mix and match so in my case I can use a tire from either group/set as a spare for the other 4.
    I think.
    I have been told that if a person abuses these rims, originally designed for lighter vehicles, that they will fail. Splitting in ten years seems to be what folk say. But I don't pound my van into the ground so I'm hopeful the Suzuki rims will last.
    Lots of folk just go 16 inch, buy more than 4, mind the offset thing and have fabulous looking vans. I wanted to keep the four rims I already had. I'm often off road and once got 4 flats in two hours. I had 3 spares. Fortunately I also had a tire plug kit and a pump.
    I like having many spares.
    Last edited by Harbilly; 10-04-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    Arghhh. Har Har Har. It's a pirate's life for me!

86 2wd cargo
    89 4wd (now a crumpled mound of parts in the front yard)
    96 (3rd Gen) 4Runner Limited

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Re: really hard to find 4WD parts

4WD Radiators. NLA from Toyota, NLA from everywhere else now, too, including 1-800-Radiator.

Solution — grab ANY 4WD radiator you find in a junkyard and stash it, even if you don't need it! (If you have an A/T van and can only find a M/T van radiator, there are people here and elsewhere who will swap with you. No sense in letting any more get crushed.) As long as the tanks are good, it can be recored.

Even better solution — send away your radiator, or a harvested one, for a high-efficiency four-row recore. This outfit has done several and is keeping the build specs (their ref #7403) on file:

Ability Radiator
    260 A Garden Hwy
    Yuba City, CA 95991-5500
    (530) 673-0813; ask for Greg

I paid $342 plus shipping for one in mid-2010.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    4WD Radiators. NLA from Toyota, NLA from everywhere else now, too, including 1-800-Radiator.

Solution — grab ANY 4WD radiator you find in a junkyard and stash it, even if you don't need it! (If you have an A/T van and can only find a M/T van radiator, there are people here and elsewhere who will swap with you. No sense in letting any more get crushed.) As long as the tanks are good, it can be recored.

Even better solution — send away your radiator, or a harvested one, for a high-efficiency four-row recore. This outfit has done several and is keeping the build specs (their ref #7403) on file:

Ability Radiator
    260 A Garden Hwy
    Yuba City, CA 95991-5500
    (530) 673-0813; ask for Greg

I paid $342 plus shipping for one in mid-2010.

Gwen

Another solution, as I did, was I installed a 2WD radiator in my 4WD. My radiator was shot to hell and the only one I could find was 2WD (of course I didn't know that they were different rads at the time). It took a few minor adjustments but I got it to work and it works great.

If I remember correctly, the 2WD rads are 1-1.5 inches taller. So I had to remove the lower radiator mounting brackets and wedge the thing in there. It certainly fits and isn't going anywhere. I did have to cut some trim off of the fan shroud in order for it to fit...but it's fully functional. I then dropped the AC unit out (who needs AC? especially at the potential cost of a functional radiator...especially if you live in Oregon) and mounted a 10" electrical fan with a toggle switch to the front of the radiator. I know it is not the preferred thing to do, however, it was my only option. If anyone is going to try this route, I highly recommend getting a spare fan shroud.

Like I said...I do not advocate this option...but if it is the only option..................

My Van(s):
    Vanessa the 86 2wd cargo and Rusty the Troubled 89 4WD. Update: Rusty is dead. A trailer dragged him over a cliff. He is crumpled and in my front field and donating parts to keep Vanessa on the road.

I get that. I've been thinking about how we are beginning to need to fab in 'the wrong' parts. We are all going to have frankenvans soon.
    I hung an electric pusher off the front of my new rad in the 2wd and thought about it for the 4wd but things looked kind of crowded in there.
    How did the hanging go? I'm interested in doing it. On the 2wd I know with a good water pump I can run w/o a fan by keeping the revs up but the front axle etc on the 4wd might restrict the airflow so much that an emergency electric fan might be a good add on.
    I have used it on the 2wd a couple of times in dire situations and often use it after stopping.

86 2wd cargo

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Harbilly View Post
    I get that. I've been thinking about how we are beginning to need to fab in 'the wrong' parts. We are all going to have frankenvans soon.
    I hung an electric pusher off the front of my new rad in the 2wd and thought about it for the 4wd but things looked kind of crowded in there.
    How did the hanging go? I'm interested in doing it. On the 2wd I know with a good water pump I can run w/o a fan by keeping the revs up but the front axle etc on the 4wd might restrict the airflow so much that an emergency electric fan might be a good add on.
    I have used it on the 2wd a couple of times in dire situations and often use it after stopping.
    You can definitely get a pusher fan in there. I just put 3-4 ties in the rad for a snug fit. If you do not use the AC and/or could do without, I highly recommend removing it and setting it aside. You will get better air flow to the radiator and a lot more space to work on the front end.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Harbilly View Post
    Another thing, I chose to use a toggle switch rather than rely on another sensor to kick my electric fan on. One less sensor to worry about.

My Van(s):

Ya. I run the pusher on the 2wd in a toggle too. I still think I'll put in a sensor but I never seem to get around to it.
    I've Been planning to see if I could save my ac but it's hard on the van and if it was gone the extra room and airflow might help things.
    Unless some sensor notices it's gone and causes some trouble somewhere else. I'll have to look into that sort of thing before I just yank it.
    I hung the fan on the 2wd off speed nuts threaded thru the new rad.
    Last edited by Harbilly; 10-05-2010 at 01:52 AM.

86 2wd cargo

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    Even better solution — send away your radiator, or a harvested one, for a high-efficiency four-row recore.
    Thanks for the info, Gwen! Guess what I'm going to do with my spare 4wd radiator as soon as I get home...
    That is, after fixing ItM's leaky FPD. And spending some quality time w/BJ. And...and...

EDIT: Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve for 4WD vans is NLA from Toyota, but the EGR modulating valve is...go figure.

EDIT: 4WD EGR valve is available from Rock Auto.
    Last edited by Flounder; 12-31-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Supplemental information

My Van(s):
    87 4wd automatic

Cool Re: really hard to find 4WD parts

http://toyotaoempartsworld-px.rtrk.c...?siteid=215233

Here ya go, Have fun spending!! I know i do.
    At the sirens of humanity we STOMP!

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

4WD rear brake drums, Beck Arnley, on ebay now. Pair for $60 free shipping.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-Beck-Ar...673?nav=SEARCH

Thought I'd would leave this here for anyone seerching drums on the site.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Rock Auto has many parts for the front brakes. Are there any specific brands recommended above others for calipers, hoses, pads and rotors?