Thread: wheel options ?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    95 Alltrak /SC

wheel options ?

What wheel/spacing fits on previas ? I ask this question for a few reasons. my van came with lexus 16inch wheels which look great, but im missing a spare and id like to have one. here in utah toyotas are scarce at the pick n pull....but i saw a previa the other day at it looked like it had ford 16inch wheels on it - maybe from a taurus?? ( plenty o them in the yard..)

Id like to get a 2nd set of rims for winter studs 15 or 16inch would be fine.

My Van(s):
    Blue 88 Van LE 4WD 5MT @240k - - Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @315k White 91 Previa LE AWD Auto@385k Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @224k (parts van)

Re: wheel options ?

The Previa wheels were either 14s (for rear drum models) or 15s (for rear disc). The bolt pattern is 5 x 114.3 and the hub center bore is 60.1.

I usually use this wheel type cross-reference search engine when looking for wheel options:
    http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...e-Database.asp

This is also good info if you need to get up to speed on wheel specs and sizing:
    https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Eric

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    95 Alltrak /SC

awesome info - thanks Eric!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Does the 4x4 van use the same bolt pattern and back space?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, All-Trac has the same spacing and pattern. You could be right about the 15's going with the 4 wheel discs, but I always thought it was ABS brakes that determined 14's vs 15's. You can take the the 15" rims and put them on all Previas (disc or drum brakes doesn't matter), but you cannot put 14" rims on the Previas with ABS. This is because ABS utilizes bigger front rotors & calipers. The inside dish of the 14" rims is not big enough to fit over the front ABS calipers. The 14" rims will still fit on the rear of a Previa with ABS/4 wheel disc, it's the front that creates the problem. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Previa LE S/C

Hi Tim,

not sure if my wheels were standard but I have 15" steelies with 215/65/15 rubber, front disc/rear drum on my 1995 Previa DX S/C.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

15" was definitely optional, but it wasn't determined by brake sizes strictly, but what options you got... it's so confusing because toyota made so many variations and options of these vans

I'm running 2004(?) Estima 16" wheels on mine..... anything that uses 5 lugs from Toyota should fit... that goes for Camry, Avalon, Sienna, etc
    just be aware of the load ratings for the wheels... for safety sakes, you need to have the same minimum load rating as your stock steelies or alloys

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, I'm currently running 15" Sienna alloy wheels on my 91 LE ABS 4 wheel disc All-Trac Previa. That Previa came from the factory with 15" alloy wheels. I had another Previa that came from the factory with 14" steelies (front standard discs and rear drums). I tried to swap wheels once and found the 15" alloys fit fine on the one that came with 14's. There was no way I could put the 14's on the front of my ABS Previa (calipers would hit the inside dish of the 14" rims).

You're totally right about confusing variations. There's like 4 different kind of front disc pads for these and it's hard to figure out which ones you need. Even the EPC gives different choices when the VIN is entered. One choice says it's for Previas with ABS & the other choice is for Previas with 4 wheel disc brakes. My Previa has ABS & 4 wheel disc brakes..........which one do I choose? Of course I always guess wrong and have to return/order again . Guess I should write it down somewhere . Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

Man, I just love having the power of resurrection.
    As mentioned above, Previas originally came with 14 and 15 inch rims. Both were 6" wide with a 50mm offset, a 60.1mm center bore and a 5 x 114.3mm bolt pattern.
    Check out this site for browsing other makes/models which have rims which work...
    https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/previa/
    And this one for fitting tires which don't become too big...
    https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    The main thing on the rims is to keep the offset (which determines how far in or out the wheels sit on the vehicle), center bore and of course the bolt pattern the same. Some Camrys and Siennas come with this in a 15 and 16 inch rim with a 6.5" width (do some searching on the wheel size link), and those models are common as muck.

If you choose to go with bigger rims and/or bigger tires, any combination totaling over 27" in diameter and 8.5" in width runs the risk of rubbing on things. Use the tire size link to check. This is assuming keeping a 50mm offset. If you change that too you will get more rubbing. People have damaged their Previa bodywork by using wheel/tire combos which are too big, offsets which are significantly different, then going over bumps when loaded, or turning tightly, and such. So, beware.

Some of this info is on another thread or two but it seemed appropriate to have it here as well.
    Last edited by Jonny; 12-18-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

Kinda by accident I came across this oem stock wheel/tire set up, which I really like for the previa... it's the standard wheel on the Lexus GS300, a 16 x 7.5 rim with the correct center bore (60.1), an offset of 45 instead of 50 (so close enough to not cause problems), and a stock tire size of 215/60r16 which is almost identical diameter to stock previa tires. The biggest thing I like about the GS300 wheels is that the tire is mounted on a rim which is close to the widest recommended limit, so handling is optimized - important when we're drifting the back end around corners at 85.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Why are we drifting the back end around corners at 85?