Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fan / fluid coupling (fan clutch)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Fan / fluid coupling (fan clutch)

I agree that aftermarket brands might not measure up, but come on, do you really think some guy bumbling around in his garage has learned more than the engineers who designed this clutch? I'm sure his "scientific" calculations as to the exact volume of silicone would far exceed theirs....... . Regarding silicone levels, if you end up with not enough silicone, the fan will slip (won't move enough air). If you end up with too much, it will not disengage. If I had to guess, I'd speculate he has hydraulically locked his clutch. Yes, this would be better than a clutch that doesn't engage, but it would unnecessarily rob power and decrease fuel mileage. IMO opening a working clutch in an attempt to improve is a silly waste of time. I understand these tactics become necessary when things break and parts are NLA, but when you can get a new OEM clutch for ~$90, it just doesn't make sense.

These OEM clutches last about 150k miles. Considering what they do and the extreme environment they operate in, I say replace with a new OEM unit (Aisin) every 150k miles (or when it malfunctions) and forget about it. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs

Not sure it's in this thread but the lower shroud is usually missing on these vans and that makes a huge difference with cooling and clutch fan operation. I didn't even know it existed until somewhat recently thanks to Tim. My van gets hot on the hills-doesn't overheat but still has me staring at the temp gauge-I will eventually add a piece of sheet metal to make up for the lost lower shroud, or go the electric fan way.

My Van(s):
    89 4WD,85 2WD, 87 le 4WD, 76 International Harvester school bus, 87 mitusuibishi mighty max

after replacing the head gasket on the 87 I put it back together and still ran hot. then I had the radiator cleaned at Parker repair Livingston Montana. put it all back together and drove about 20 miles @ 45mph no problem. then up to speed and heats up. turns out there is no fan shroud on the bottom. I should be able to fab one using the one from my 89 as a template. that is unless some one has an extra they want to sell. Thanks for all the knowledge

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Does anyone have a picture of this lower shroud? I can't see where there would be one on mine. Seems to be one self contained piece that comes out when i remove my fan shroud.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The lower section is just the part that would interfere with the fan if you were to slide it up and out. It snaps on/off the main part of the shroud. Sometimes lazy mechanics leave it off because it can be a hassle to snap it back on correctly. They may get away with it on conventional designs (radiator up front), but on the van it's much more important to have a complete shroud as the fan will suck air from the open section. A complete shroud is necessary to maximize air flow through the radiator.

Here's one for a 2wd:

And here's one for a 4wd:

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Yep mine is missing. Anyone fabricated something to fill the void and want to show it off? Not excited about waiting weeks/months/years to track down this important piece of plastic someone carelessly threw away.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4x4

Does anyone have any tips for how to actually remove an old clutch? Mine seems pretty helplessly stuck onto the shaft.

Been broken down in Wyoming for a couple days with overheating issues.

*update*
    ... nevermind, obvious answer is a big enough pry bar
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-21-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition, stored away for now. '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for how to actually remove an old clutch? Mine seems pretty helplessly stuck onto the shaft.

Been broken down in Wyoming for a couple days with overheating issues.

*update*
    ... nevermind, obvious answer is a big enough pry bar

ugh,, sorry to hear about the breakdown,,, hopefully you're sorted and rolling now.