Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need new front shocks '87 4wd

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Re: Need new front shocks '87 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrippler View Post
    I got the front bilstiens in over the weekend. What a difference. The van handles better and rides smoother than it ever has.

The front shocks weren't hard but did require a little grinding to narrow the bottom mounts. I had fun using the angle grinder in the bathroom of my apartment while my wife held the shock with an oven mit i also struggled a little gettingthe shock on the vehicle cause it was a little long. I ended up compressing the shock all the way and using some nylon strapping to hold it in the compressed state while i bolted it on.

The brakes suck after the lift. I really noticed a difference. I'm going to make that bracket for the proportioning valve tonight.

The rear springs were really hard to install in the back. I had to get some really good spring compressors and a friend to help. And it barely went on. We almost disconnected all the brakes etc to drop that rear end even father but managed to muscle them on in the end
    that is pretty much identical to my experience

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

Quote Originally Posted by mistershmi View Post
    that is pretty much identical to my experience
    Hopefully that included the bathroom angle grinder experience!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed

Does anyone know the actual specs for the front shocks? Iím wanting to upgrade to some higher quality off-road shocks and need the stock shock info to do so. My goal is to have them be plug and play so to speak. There are tons of off-road companies building shocks and I want something with better performance than whatís available over the counter. Thanks for any help 👍🏻👍🏻