Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need new front shocks '87 4wd

My Van(s):
    87 4wd automatic

Re: Need new front shocks '87 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by mistershmi View Post
    What exactly did you have to do to get the Durango shocks to fit? Maybe you could explain the mod? Do you have a part number? I have cranked torsions and the shocks on there now bounce me out of my seat over bumps. One of them appears to be leaking as well. If the Durango front shocks are as good as you say I'd love to do that to my van instead of the Gabriel ones
    if you crank the torsion bars up too high, you get more bounce and they will break.

Unfortunately the other Van site is dead and that is where i got the part number for the Durango shock replacement. All you have to do once you have the shock is cut off the lower mount. So i bought the 2wd model and cut the lower mount off. looks like the 4wd model has the correct mounting for the Van.

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...0&autoModClar=

Double check the spec for suspended weight for this shock before purchasing. It has been over 5 years since i did this mod. I dont even have a van anymore; someone stole it and set it on fire.
    At the sirens of humanity we STOMP!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by RawbSpear View Post
    if you crank the torsion bars up too high, you get more bounce and they will break.

Unfortunately the other Van site is dead and that is where i got the part number for the Durango shock replacement. All you have to do once you have the shock is cut off the lower mount. So i bought the 2wd model and cut the lower mount off. looks like the 4wd model has the correct mounting for the Van.

Double check the spec for suspended weight for this shock before purchasing. It has been over 5 years since i did this mod. I dont even have a van anymore; someone stole it and set it on fire.

what kind of monster steals a Van and sets it on fire? that sucks. sorry to hear about it.

looks like the part number from your tire rack link for the 4WD front shock is 24-185233. i did a quick google search but couldn't find the specs for suspended weight. Maybe i can call and ask bilstein directly....These are the specs i did find from another site:

Bilstein (24-185233) 4600 Series shock absorber
    Collapsed length (inches): 9.52
    Extended length (inches): 14.49
    Travel (inches): 4.97
    Upper mount: Stem
    Lower mount: Eye 12.1mm

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Previa

Any update? Did you install bilstein shocks on the front? I'm interested because I know that they are really good in reducing the bouncing caused by road imperfections.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

i bought them about a month ago but haven't put them in yet - I'm going to be doing the upper and lower ball joints at the same time and theres been a couple other projects i need to get done first. from what I've read they should be a direct fit though - ill post an update once i get them in! hopefully within the next couple weeks!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Previa

Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

im in the market for new shocks front and rear, but im a little confused about needing longer travel shocks if i decide i want to jack it up a little....isnt the a-arm still only traveling up or down as far as the bump stops will allow?

the rear i can understand maybe needing a longer shock. what are people using in the rear?
    Last edited by boogieman; 05-09-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    isnt the a-arm still only traveling up or down as far as the bump stops will allow?
    You are correct. When I asked this question it was late and I had been reading an article about lifting straight axle trucks. I meant to clarify that in my subsequent post regarding my installation experience but forgot. On that note, I am still pleased with my Gabriel's although they are on my newer van which is not lifted.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the front I don't think you need longer travel shocks if you are just cranking the torsion bars for a little lift.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

LightBlueToy, I think you're right.

I'm installing the Durango Bilstein shocks in the front right now. Had to use the angle grinder to narrow down the lower mount but that only took about 30 mins of grinding/testing fit till I got it narrow enough to slide into the lower mount.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the front lower shock mount bolt/washer/nut? mine were rusted and seized so I had to really hit it with the impact wrench. I tried re-using but they were stripped badly on reassembly.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Currently: 89 4wd Toyota Van auto 87 4wd Toyota Van 5spd 84 2wd Toyota Van Auto Country Homes Poptop Previous: 89 Mitsubishi Star Wagon (Delica) 87 Toyota Van Le (2wd) 82 VW Vanagon Diesel Camper

Thanks for this info, are you saying that the 4wd Bilstein 4600's have the correct mounting for the 4WD Vans and that they don't need any mods?

Can you recommend upgrades for the rear suspension too, or is there an existing thread you can steer me to?

I appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by RawbSpear View Post

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Earthlin View Post
    Thanks for this info, are you saying that the 4wd Bilstein 4600's have the correct mounting for the 4WD Vans and that they don't need any mods?

Can you recommend upgrades for the rear suspension too, or is there an existing thread you can steer me to?

I appreciate the help!
    In the front I used the 4wd Bilstein durango shocks. torsions are cranked as well. Finally installed the shocks about 2 weeks ago. Huge improvement. Rides more like my toyota pickup - a lot less bounce but definitely more stiff and harsh over bumps. Very happy with it overall however. Only thing i had to do was grind down the sleeve on the bottom mount of the shock itself with an angle grinder about half inch on each side. added about 30 mins to the job. very easy to do. hardest part was getting the shock compressed and sliding it in (since i was doing it all myself) but overall was a pretty easy job.

here is the thread on rear suspension.

I removed my mr gasket spacers and did the aerostar springs and tacoma Bilstein shocks in the rear thats discussed in that thread. its been awesome so far. much better than spacers. pretty easy job as well. you'll use an angle grinder to remove to top 2 coils. its too long by default. even with the cut coils it takes some work getting it slipped back in. that was the hardest part and i enlisted a neighbors help for that. again, not terribly difficult overall.

IMHO these are the best lift mods you can easily and cheaply do. Anything beyond this will require fabrication, cutting the front floor pan up, modifying front geometry, etc etc. Gets far more complicated quickly. VanCo is a member on here that did significant modification to fit 31's and its awesome, but way more work than i have the time and ability for

btw, if you use the search function there are several threads on this topic.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Some folks have not had success with the Aerostar springs. Do you know The year & Trim model you got your rear springs from.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by coronan View Post
    Some folks have not had success with the Aerostar springs. Do you know The year & Trim model you got your rear springs from.

I bought new aftermarket aerostar springs, Moog CC845

i know there are others in the forum that used that Moog spring without issue. Don't know if the van year or 2wd vs 4wd matters but i wouldn't think so. For reference mine is an 87 4x4

EDIT: a quick search reveals "Ford Aerostar 90-97 L6 4.0L" as the vehicle for this part number. trim level doesn't appear to matter from the compatibility list.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Currently: 89 4wd Toyota Van auto 87 4wd Toyota Van 5spd 84 2wd Toyota Van Auto Country Homes Poptop Previous: 89 Mitsubishi Star Wagon (Delica) 87 Toyota Van Le (2wd) 82 VW Vanagon Diesel Camper

In the front I used the 4wd Bilstein durango shocks. torsions are cranked as well. Finally installed the shocks about 2 weeks ago. Huge improvement. Rides more like my toyota pickup - a lot less bounce but definitely more stiff and harsh over bumps. Very happy with it overall however. Only thing i had to do was grind down the sleeve on the bottom mount of the shock itself with an angle grinder about half inch on each side. added about 30 mins to the job. very easy to do. hardest part was getting the shock compressed and sliding it in (since i was doing it all myself) but overall was a pretty easy job.

here is the thread on rear suspension.

I removed my mr gasket spacers and did the aerostar springs and tacoma Bilstein shocks in the rear thats discussed in that thread. its been awesome so far. much better than spacers. pretty easy job as well. you'll use an angle grinder to remove to top 2 coils. its too long by default. even with the cut coils it takes some work getting it slipped back in. that was the hardest part and i enlisted a neighbors help for that. again, not terribly difficult overall.

IMHO these are the best lift mods you can easily and cheaply do. Anything beyond this will require fabrication, cutting the front floor pan up, modifying front geometry, etc etc. Gets far more complicated quickly. VanCo is a member on here that did significant modification to fit 31's and its awesome, but way more work than i have the time and ability for

btw, if you use the search function there are several threads on this topic.
    Thanks for this! Hoping to do it in the next few weeks and will report back once it's installed.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

... Rides more like my toyota pickup - a lot less bounce but definitely more stiff and harsh over bumps. Very happy with it overall however...
    Besides the bounce, I feel every tiny little crack and bump in the road right now and the van rattles alot. Are you saying that your Bilsteins setup with the Aerostar springs only minimizes bounce and that it will still have a stiff and harsh feel on the little stuff?

Thanks again for all your input.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Yeah, its still pretty stiff and harsh over bumps, but i honestly dont notice or mind it too much. it feels just like the ride i had in my 1993 toyota pickup. i would have no qualms recommending this setup, especially if you own a 4WD. i love it so far.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

I just got done installing the aerostar springs, the tacoma bilstien shocks in the back. I cranked the tortion bars and my Durango bilstiens came in the mail today. I'll finish the front this weekend.

I had to cut about 2 coils from the top of the spring and a little from the pigtail on the bottom to get the right shape for it to seat well. I used the original rubber insulators on the top and bought some new generic insulators on the bottom.

I know my original shocks in the front are dead so I'm excited to see how the ride improves with the shocks in the front. I think it handles better with new shocks and springs in the back even though it's taller. The old stuff was so shot.

lifted_townace_001.jpglifted_townace_002.jpg

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I bought new aftermarket aerostar springs, Moog CC845

i know there are others in the forum that used that Moog spring without issue. Don't know if the van year or 2wd vs 4wd matters but i wouldn't think so. For reference mine is an 87 4x4

EDIT: a quick search reveals "Ford Aerostar 90-97 L6 4.0L" as the vehicle for this part number. trim level doesn't appear to matter from the compatibility list.
    I got the Bilsteins installed in the front today and I feel a major improvement. I'm about to do the Moog springs but I couldn't tell from your posts and the other rear suspension thread if I was going to get a lift from them and need to reposition the brake proportioning valve. I'm tempted to cut them to the same length as the stock springs but I'm not confident they will have the same resting sag position. Any thoughts or input on this?

Thanks,

Peter

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Earthlin View Post
    I got the Bilsteins installed in the front today and I feel a major improvement. I'm about to do the Moog springs but I couldn't tell from your posts and the other rear suspension thread if I was going to get a lift from them and need to reposition the brake proportioning valve. I'm tempted to cut them to the same length as the stock springs but I'm not confident they will have the same resting sag position. Any thoughts or input on this?

Thanks,

Peter
    I would assume cutting them to the same length would give about the same height as stock. I cut 2 coils from the top and it sits (with no load) about 2-2.5" higher than stock. It was a beast to get the springs in (make sure to have a helper and a good pry bar) but I am very happy with the new height and additional gained travel off road that you wouldn't get if using spacers.

I haven't adjusted my brake proportioning valve yet, but it still brakes fine. Ill get around to creating a little bracket to adjust it 2 inches higher to compensate for the lift eventually. There are a few threads mentioning this if you look around. Its very easy to do. See the last post on this thread for an example one that Coronan made

The post by TheCrippler showing his van with these mods gives a very good representation of what the lift will look like afterward.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

I got the front bilstiens in over the weekend. What a difference. The van handles better and rides smoother than it ever has.

The front shocks weren't hard but did require a little grinding to narrow the bottom mounts. I had fun using the angle grinder in the bathroom of my apartment while my wife held the shock with an oven mit i also struggled a little gettingthe shock on the vehicle cause it was a little long. I ended up compressing the shock all the way and using some nylon strapping to hold it in the compressed state while i bolted it on.

The brakes suck after the lift. I really noticed a difference. I'm going to make that bracket for the proportioning valve tonight.

The rear springs were really hard to install in the back. I had to get some really good spring compressors and a friend to help. And it barely went on. We almost disconnected all the brakes etc to drop that rear end even father but managed to muscle them on in the end