My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: A new transmission problem

replace all rubber check balls

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

I had to drop my valve body to work on kick-down cable. I wouldn't be too worried about diving in and replacing check balls and gaskets. Here's a link to my thread dealing with this. Read thread (and manual) regarding removal process and you'll keep the parts in place until they are on the bench. this is not a task that requires extensive skills, so if you are comfortable with basic mechanic work, it should be doable.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...months-sitting

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Thanks for the insight Skibum.

I checked my transmission cable, it retracts just fine. I am waiting for my mechanic to get back to me regarding taking the job on. I think he will do it but it may take him a few weeks since sunday is his only day off that he can do it. (Side Job)

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Hey Mahleek87,

So, I linked to my thread, more for the description of the "tool" that you have to make to keep the springs and balls in place, in case you wanted to tackle the job, yourself. The manual describes how to make it, and I embellished a little after using the "tool", by recommending beveling the leading edge so you get under the spring(s), rather than into one of the coils. By doing this, you will see where everything belongs, before you disassemble.

If you are just going to remove and replace the balls, along with cleaning out the valve body, you should be able to do that, even if you are only moderately mechanical. If I remember right, I ended up dumping the balls out of my valve body, when I was working on my cable issue. I was able to get them back in the proper locations by looking at the drawings in the manual. It is very obvious where the balls go, particularly if you follow the pictures that you posted (Pg. 2, item 22 and Pg. 4, item 11).

Like JPERL said, keep it clean!

Good luck!

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

I just got all the parts for the job in yesterday. Hopefully it will work out for me. I got a total of 6 rubber check balls. 4 smaller ones and 2 larger ones.

Apparently 2 Larger ones and 1 small one belong in the lower valve body while the other 3 smaller ones belong in the upper valve body.

Please let me know if I am missing something for the job as the diagram at the dealer was confusing to me.

Name:  vanreceipt.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  18.7 KB
    Name:  numbers.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  95.1 KBName:  balls1.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  92.3 KBName:  balls2.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  91.3 KBName:  gaskets.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  44.1 KB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

mahleek87,

Just refer back to the repair manual pages that you posted earlier. It looks like the same ones that I referred to when doing my repair. Those drawings indicated where the balls go and using that information I was able to get the balls back in place and the tranny working properly.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    I was able to get the balls back in place and the tranny working properly.
    This reminds me of a cop show that refers to cross-dressers as trannys. That being said, other parallels regarding your statement are very disturbing

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

As long as the tranny is working properly, who I am to say? And many of us know the importance of having our balls in the right place!

My Van(s):

I finally got my 86 Van up and running after about 5 months of not driving it. I purchased a remanufactured transmission from ebay and so far I have put over 300 miles on it. It is working just fine. The 2-3 shift is really soft but its quicker then the one I had before.

Originally I was going to try to fix my transmission with replacing the check balls etc. No one wanted to do it for cheap. Everyone I spoke with wanted to do a full rebuild or nothing at all. This was the cheaper route. I will keep you all updated on how it holds up.

Here is the video of me driving through the gears etc. Transmission came in clean, no leaks. All the seals/gaskets were installed properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxTSLpJFyyM

Post your thoughts

My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 Toyota Van

I'm having issues with my automatic transmission.
    I start out in (2) and when I get up to 30 mph I move the shifter to D.
    Starting out you can feel a jerk from first gear to second gear.
    Getting up to 30mph it won't shift up unless I move it to drive( D ).
    Now leaving it into drive (D) after stopping it will not shift but it will drive forward only 10mph
    I have to down shift it to (2) to get it back in gear

It drives fine this way but I would like to get this fixed.
    I've been quoted $1,999-$2,600 for full rebuild

As I'm saving money I'm reading all these posts about transmission problems

Did you have some one install the transmission for you after buying it off Ebay? If so how much? If not do you know where I can find a guide to install the transmission?

Any help would be great

I'm thinking I might buy one of those transmission off Ebay

Would changing out the balls and gasket on my transmission solve my issue?

Glad to see you are back on the road.

Oh...I have a 1987 4x4 Automatic Toyota Van... Would this transmission be the replacement ?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/321141497676...MakeTrack=true
    Last edited by Anthony; 09-04-2014 at 02:16 AM.

My Van(s):

I bought this A45DL for my 86 Toyota Van from ebay. I got it specifically from this seller transparts734.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-88-Toyota...865f4c&vxp=mtr

I think with shipping and everything it was in between $450-500 I dont remember. I gave him an offer and he accepted it.

I had my mechanic install it for $300.00

So all together I got a completely re manufactured transmission installed in my van for approx $800 total versus spending $1500+ to rebuild it.

I had a bad 1-2 gear jerk, if you look at the beginning of this thread you will see the video that I posted of my issue that I was having.

So far I have driven my van only 300 miles and everything is good. I currently have stopped driving it because I am having some type of overheating issue and I have coolant leaks and want to trace them all before I start driving hard again.

My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 Toyota Van

I saw your video.. Thanks for your info.
    I contacted that Ebay seller. He/she told me I need A/T #35000-28190 transmission for my 1987 automatic 4x4 toyota van.

So my question to others here is ..

Do you think if I changed out the balls and rubber that it would take care of my transmission issue?

I can't find that transmission anywhere. So, I think I might have to rebuild it but not totally sure.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by mahleek87 View Post
    Your really lucky you knew someone who could work on transmissions. Anyone I try to find is too expensive and most people dont know anything.

Trying to figure out what my 85 Toyota van with a 3Y engine has for an automatic transmission. Will this work? A44DL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221813283268...witem=&vxp=mtr

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I was able to quickly find references to this issue by simply searching term "A44DL". Here's a quote from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    A44DL is a 4 speed auto transmission used in the 2WD van from 84 - 86. A45DL is pretty much the exact transmission (except used in 87 - 89 2WD vans). There may be slight internal differences, but no change in bell housing, splines, or anything else that would affect interchange (even the gear ratios are the same). So as far as I'm concerned, other than age, they are the same transmission. The reason I said the seller might be a little confused is because he could be listing for 84-89 Toyota vans (along with some other makes & models). Of course his very limited application list is good for those of us that know about this (as other potential buyers may not be able to find his listings). He has another listing for "87-88 Toyota Van Automatic Transmission, A/T Model A44DL, 2.2L" (he's asking a little more $$$ for that one). If it wasn't for the cost of shipping (and me not wanting to store), I would have bought at least one of these a long time ago. I'm a little surprised nobody else has. Tim
    There's no way to say this without sounding roflroflroflroflrofly, so I'll just say it.......please search the forum before posting and please don't ask the same question in multiple posts . Nothing personal, it has to do with clutter & site organization. I'm going to delete those duplicate posts . Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

No problem sorry about the multiple posts.

I was able to quickly find references to this issue by simply searching term "A44DL". Here's a quote from another thread:

There's no way to say this without sounding roflroflroflroflrofly, so I'll just say it.......please search the forum before posting and please don't ask the same question in multiple posts . Nothing personal, it has to do with clutter & site organization. I'm going to delete those duplicate posts . Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No problem, just trying to reduce clutter (it adds up after a while). BTW, we appreciate you being part of TVT and encourage posting (when and where appropriate). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

No problem, just trying to reduce clutter (it adds up after a while). BTW, we appreciate you being part of TVT and encourage posting (when and where appropriate). Tim

Im going to pull the trigger on this eBay transmission and update the thread

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 Cargo Panel AT 85 Cargo AT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221813283268...torefresh=true

I had some initial concerns about using this transmission with my 85 Cargo.

When I inquired Transparts734 about compatibility with my 85 they requested my VIN# and replied with the following:

"Your vehicle needs A/T #35010-28071-84. Unfortunetly, we don't have this part number available as we discontinued producing several years ago.
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Regards,
    Transparts734"

The Ebay listing was for AT #35010-28230-84 ... bummer

I've since put an offer on one given timsrv's post on the interchange of these transmissions between van years. A very reputable local transmission shop wanted over 2K to just rebuild my transmission (I bring the removed transmission to them).

I think I'll give this Ebay tranny a try.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

Ebay automatic transmission update.

So I have purchased a rebuilt transmission from transparts734 off of eBay a couple weeks ago. Transmission is put in. They come with fluid in them. Once installed started up and shifted into gear... nothing. The transmission just slipped around a ton so I added som lucas additive and another couple quarts of transmission fluid. Now when I shift the transmission into gear I get a chirp and immediate stall . Almost as if I were to let a clutch out too fast on a manual transmission. Any idea of what I can do? I fell like the torque converter is locking up? Is the transmission bad?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    84 Toyota van wagon

Re: Ebay automatic transmission update.

Did you install the kickdown cable correctly? When I did my trans swap I had an issue where it didn't move after putting it in gear and felt like the T/C was slipping. I adjusted the cable and now works fine. Also after adding the extra fluid did you check to see if it was at the right level? I'm not an automatic transmission guru I just recently swapped out my auto trans myself, just giving you some things to check out. Good luck! I hope its something simple!!!