Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hose of death thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The hose of death thread

My "hose of death" or "hose from hell" wasn't leaking yet, but I decided to go ahead and replace it while I had the intake and exhaust manifold off my van. Since I had everything on the left side of the engine removed, I figured I could do the job without cutting an access hole, but even then it was a bit hard to access. It looked manageable if I were to take the valve cover off, but I decided to bite the bullet and just cut the hole already. I mapped it out to fit the bend in my brake vacuum line that hugs the firewall there (I didn't want to move it nor did I want to damage it). The hole came out nice and it gave me plenty of access. I actually ordered the replacement hose from Toyota (Toyota Part # 15261-73030) but compared to Gates #28408 5/16" ID heater hose, it looked wimpy . I decided to use the Gates hose. Surprisingly enough, the old hose wasn't leaking and actually was in pretty good shape. Taking into consideration it was 20 years old, I decided replacement was best. Here are some pics of the project.

1st step is getting the carpet and heater duct out of the way.

Next I laid out hole location and marked it with a sharpie. Ideally, I would have liked the hole to be another couple inches higher and to the left, but there's a steel vacuum line for the brake booster that is mounted there. Rather than mess with that, I compromised and decided here was the best.

Here is a Matco Air Saw. This thing is like a saws-all, but offers much better control for projects like this.

Here is the view through my newly cut access hole.

Here is how it looks from the engine side (note the steel vacuum line with the 90 deg bend).

Ample access for changing hose has now been granted. The upper end was a little more challenging, but still not bad. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 1/4" socket to tighten the upper clamp. It was very manageable.

I used some .050 painted aluminum plate I had laying around and some 3/16" aluminum pop rivets to make provisions for re-installing the piece I cut.

I used some double back tape to stick the piece of insulation back on.

I used some 1/2" #6 self tapping sheet metal screws to secure the new access panel into place.

Okay, so you think that's the end of the tough little hoses to change? well guess what? There's another hose of death

The next hardest hose to conquer is another 8mm (5/16") hose that goes from the 19mm (3/4") steel heater hose return pipe up to an 8mm (5/16") pipe that attaches to the intake manifold. Although this one can also be a pain, it is not nearly as tough as the one I cut the access hole for. It can be done from underneath without too much trouble (at least on a 2wd, not sure about the 4wd). Here are some pics of it's location for your viewing pleasure . Tim

Fully assembled view from under van:

Gates hose is available by the foot at most auto parts stores. My local Napa usually carries it, but was out, so I went to Carquest and got some there.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa Alltrac 5-speed ........ 1988 TV 4x4 5-speed ................ 1996 TownAce 4x4 SuperExtra TD

Re: The hose of death thread

Great thread! It sure helped me out...

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I did another one of these last weekend. Pics are pretty self explanatory. Enjoy

My Van(s):
    Picking up a 1987 Toyota Van 5-speed, dual range, 4x4

Ah the love hate issue on cutting the walls ...

I think I'll try to convince my woman to use her tiny hands to help me out, har har har.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It can be done without cutting. When the valve cover is off it opens it up enough, but it's hard to see and easier to make a mistake. With the access hole it can be done easily and the metal pipe/nipple can be inspected. I consider the cut wall a non-issue as it's covered with a heat duct and carpet (no one will ever see it except maybe a mechanic). Tim

My Van(s):
    Picking up a 1987 Toyota Van 5-speed, dual range, 4x4

Yeah I would probably probably fab out a nice latch and hinge so no screws necessary.

Is the valve cover just a rubber gasket, if so sometimes I wouldn't mind taking the cover off to get at a hoke easier. (As long as you over it from debris )

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE automatic

Hose of Death change (leak from ... transmission?)

I got a big surprise yesterday when I pulled away from my house and noticed a big oil stain on the ground (bigger than usual I guess). So I parked in the garage this morning so I could see if it was me. Another 2-5 oz's of oil leaked out on my cardboard oil catcher. As best as I can tell right now it is coming from a weep hole at the front of the housing. I went through my chiltons manual but its worthless. Any thoughts? Also, I have a slow leak at the back of the transmission pan. I changed the pan gasket but it continues.... Is there a seal just above the rear of the tranny pan? Thanks for any input. Cirrus
    In the photo its the small hole on the only clean area.
    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 3267
Size:  83.5 KB
    Last edited by Cirrus; 02-28-2013 at 09:33 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Hose of Death change

It could be coming from your rear main engine seal or from the transmission input shaft seal. If it's red and thin, then it's the transmission. If it's thicker and brown/dark brown, then it's probably the rear main engine seal. If you can't tell, take out your dipsticks and put a drop of oil on the cardboard next to the drip that's there. The one that matches the best will be the culprit. Either way, the transmission or engine has to come out in order to repair. The other option is to carry around extra oil/transmission fluid and top off regularly . Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE automatic

Thanks for the reply Tim. Spent some time looking when I got to work. It's engine oil, coming from up high, runs down the left side of the bell housing where the tranny meets the back of the engine. Kinda through me for a loop cause all my fluid levels are good and this is new leak. oil spot on the ground is 1 foot by 4. Crankcase has gas smell but oil may need a change. I am trying to get it into the shop to have them look at it. Hoping I didn't buy a basket case!
    one last thing, it seems to leak right after I shut the engine down for maybe 5 minutes
    Last edited by Cirrus; 02-26-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE automatic

I have another update...... I think it's coolant. Because it was golden in color I automatically thought it was oil. Radiator light came on so I smelled the drip and it smells like coolant. I thought it was supposed to be red. Anyway, it's coming from the top rear, maybe head gasket? Are there any coolant hoses back there? I can't see any. Thanks!
    Last edited by Cirrus; 02-26-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE automatic

Ok I think I have it located..... Small pipe (1/4- 3/8) coming from above left side and crossing the back. Where it goes through a bushing looks like its worn through and leaking. Hard to see in the pic ( in between the 2 bolts). I imagine its a bear to get to?
    Edit: Brake Line?

Name:  leak2.jpg
Views: 3162
Size:  93.5 KB
    Last edited by Cirrus; 02-27-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Fully assembled view from under van:

Gates hose is available by the foot at most auto parts stores. My local Napa usually carries it, but was out, so I went to Carquest and got some there.

Hello All,

This morning as I was parking my van at work I could smell evaporating coolant. I looked under the van and it was spraying coolant all over the parking lot..

A first I thought the head gasket blew, but on closer inspection it looked like it was spraying out of the side of a hose. (Please see the number marked 1 on image. Hope you don't mind me using that image). I think the metal pipe next to it melted through the coolant hose.

Name:  Coolant Hose.jpg
Views: 3473
Size:  15.6 KB

What size hose should I use to replace it? Also I notice that clamps are used, should I do this as well?

Also, while under there I notice the bolt that attaches to the intake manifold missing (2).

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Well this is not specifically the hose of death, but related i guess.

It was as I suspected. The hose was melted by the EGR metal tube. Melted right through it. I was able to pick up some 5/8 heater hose rated for +350' F / 60 PSI and two new clamps at NAPA. Removed and installed all during lunch hour.

Hopefully that solves the problem.
    Last edited by Ian R.; 06-15-2015 at 03:18 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That should solve it. These hoses get fragile when they get old. If the EGR is getting hotter than it should, that's a sign of a failing cat converter or the timing being off. It could also be a problem with your electronic advance............or could simply be a poorly routed hose. Just thought I'd throw some other possibilities out there as food for thought. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Thanks Tim!

-I have got to hand it to you. You are always one step ahead of things. Getting the timing checked is on the list. My initial thought was, it was to close to the EGR. But as I replacing the hose, I started thinking. Why? Is the EGR suppose to be running that hot?

Thank you again for your help and TV wisdom!

-Ian

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Must just be that time of year lol, im about to cut an access panel myself. I am going to lay some sheets of leather i have all around the hump, and use my air cutoff tool to cut the size hole i need. I was looking at nice hole saws but 80 bucks for the 8 inch is just not happening.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Van Wagon

Okay, so you think that's the end of the tough little hoses to change? well guess what? There's another hose of death

After a blown radiator hose on my 86 2wd auto Van, I decided to change all the hoses.
    The pic of the underside of the top half of the intake manifold where a coolant hose connects to the metal line. The toyota parts diagram shows another hose coming off the other end of that metal line (can not see it in your pic). See 16268A below.

I believe it attaches to the auxiliary air valve but I'm not sure. Shouldn't this hose be replaced as well? You didn't mention that hose at all. Toyota gives part number 99556-10110 for both hoses that go to that metal line (part number given for reference). They said the Van requires both. The parts guy asked the tech but he said only that he thinks the second line is under the manifold but couldn't be sure exactly. Did they tell me wrong, is the diagram they gave me wrong, or is there another hose under the intake manifold that you didn't show? If so how do I replace that one?
    Please help. Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, that would suck to replace that hose. I wouldn't replace it though unless it was leaking or the intake needed to be removed for another reason. I've been aware of this one and have replaced it on every van I've had the pleasure of splitting the manifold on. I haven't mentioned it before because strangely it seems to hold up very well. I've never had this one blow (knock on wood). Perhaps it's due to the shielding offered by the intake manifold? Regardless, unless you remove the upper manifold, there is no easy way to replace this hose.

Based on location I would consider this to be the toughest hose of all (although the other one gets all the fame). Until I have one break I'm not going to worry too much about it. Perhaps when the vans get 40 years old this will become an issue, but it's hard to imagine a van going that long without needing to pull the intake for something else. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Van Wagon

Thanks for the info, and really thanks for the super fast response. I will skip that one for now and not worry about it. If I do get a leak in the next 20 years that will be the place for me to look as I've replaced every other hose. All the other hoses were original 30 year old equipment.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Hey Tim, I just got done replacing the HOD and tragically my van is still leaking. I've been browsing the site for awhile trying to figure out what would cause coolant dripping off the bell housing other than the HOD and can't find anything. My access hole(s) (whoops) give me clear sightlines of the area around the HOD and I'm pretty sure there's no leak at the plate or pipes it connects to. What else could this be? Thanks!

Name:  PXL_20220308_020603611.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  98.5 KBName:  PXL_20220308_020603611.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  98.5 KB