Thread: Recommendation for reman Previa engine.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 Previa All Trac

Recommendation for reman Previa engine.

Hi all. My 95 Previa s/c with 320,288 miles finally gave up the ghost and blew the head gasket the other day.
    So I joined to get info on how to change the engine out. Got some good info. I was a mechanic for 24 years and I have never replaced an engine on one of these. What I'm looking for is advice on reman engines. Most of the ones I found are over $3,000. I checked Ebay and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outright-No-...f565a1&vxp=mtr

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

Re: Recommendation for reman Previa engine.

forget a reman.... they typically have poor clearances and just slapped together with crap parts to be "good enough"...

either rebuild it yourself, or buy a JDM engine and swap it in... far less headaches... don't forget these things were made till late 99 in Japan

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I agree with TheMan. In my experience these remans are junk. If you can't afford to take your core to a performance oriented machine shop/rebuilder, then I'd roll the dice with one of those used Japanese engine places. Either one of those options would be far better than a reman engine. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    all trac,

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I agree with TheMan. In my experience these remans are junk. If you can't afford to take your core to a performance oriented machine shop/rebuilder, then I'd roll the dice with one of those used Japanese engine places. Either one of those options would be far better than a reman engine. Tim
    Hey Tim, Dave here, on those jdm engines, what all do you have to change ? the intake ? exhaust ? I saw somewhere a post about it but cant find it now and am considering an engine swap for my blown head gasket 91.....Thanx !!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1994 sc alltrac

I bought a jdm from a company in California after I destroyed my engine by driving in too deep of water. I paid a lot to ship it to Alaska where I live. It really was not as hard to get out as I had heard and I could tell you more about how I did it if you want. The engine has given me no problems and I really did not swap anything except a few little things.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    all trac,

thanx chugach for the reply man ! I found a place in Modesto Ca. who has the engines fer 550. ...I would LOVE to hear what you have to say about the swap !! I absolutely LOVE this Previa and feel I dont want to just give up on it !! it has been such a great car...AND its paid for !! Thanx !!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1994 sc alltrac

There is a great thread on here I think by timsrv of how he did it that you should read it has great photos. I think it was called twist on engine removal.It may have been someone else, anyway all I did really was take a big floor jack and put it between the front seats. Front seats are removed and out of the way. Then I took a four by four and made a shallow hole that would fit on the lifting plate of the jack. Then I put a couple threaded eye bolts through the four by four. Then I ran a chain under the engine connected to the eye bolts. You could use lifting straps or strong ratchet straps too. You start with the jack very high so that you can lower the engine down. For the transmission I used another jack and some ratchet straps to control it. The sads shaft I just wired up so it would not hang.
    So with the van as high on jack stands as I could get it I slowly let it down and it has to slide a little rear ward. On the ground I just drug it out from under the van.
    Really my only twist on it was a floor jack and four by four.

My Van(s):
    '94 LE dual sunroofs "Whistler" -AND- '97 DX SC Alltrac shredder rescue "Elmer"

Here's that thread with the "twist"

The JDM engine I bought had to be stripped to a long block, pretty much. Intake and exhaust manifolds, oil filler, sump pan and even the oil pickup were different. IFRC the oil filter mount was different as well. So there were several gaskets I had to source.
    I sold that van to a friend for his son, a very active sporting type in Colorado. He had many adventures in it until he fell asleep at the wheel driving across Utah one night a few months ago and rolled it. He walked away with a few scratches, so it served him well up to the end!

My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa EX AWD and 1992 Toyota Previa DXL RWD

I bought my second Previa in Seattle and will be doing fly and drive in 2 weeks. since both of my Previa have over 250k miles on the clock. I am thinking of buying an JDM engine and transmission combo out West. There seems to be a bit more choices in the West. Wonder if I can custom order, a newer 2TZ-FE with a 5 speed?

https://elko.craigslist.org/ptd/d/jd...323015806.html
    If I can't take it with me, then I am not interested.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

On a side note, have you see; this ad-

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...284949027.html

The technician that built this Previa is a reputable Previa Tech from GarageTuner, maybe give him a call and schedule a visit. Last time I went to talk to him he must have had 10-12 Previas on his lot.

Good luck

JDM