Thread: Basic Van knowledge for new owners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Basic Van knowledge for new owners

See THIS Library Article for basic information about your van's brake fluid, oil, coolant, battery, fuses, and wiper fluid.

See THIS Library Article for basic access to your van's engine.

See THIS Library Article for advanced access to your van's engine (removing the passenger side engine access panel).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 cargo van

Re: Basic Van knowledge for new owners

Thank you for posting this information. I have owned a Toyota van for 18 years and I did not know about the oil filter access hole. If you know that, maybe you can tell me where I will find the group of fusible links surrounded by a green rectangle in the accompanying section of the schematic for an '88 van.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):

Using the search feature, enter "fusible link" and just like magic ...

The Fusible Link Thread

Gwen

My Van(s):
    87 4wd automatic

Question Re: Basic Van knowledge for new owners

where is the fuel filter?
    At the sirens of humanity we STOMP!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Rawb, sorry but until now I somehow missed your post. I'm sure you've already figured it out but I wanted to reply so the "next guy" could benefit.

The fuel filter is on the passenger side of the engine between the distributor and the oil filter (see arrow in picture below):

This is a big filter so unless you have a contaminated fuel system it should only need to be replaced at 60,000 mile intervals. To access and replace you must 1st remove the passenger side seat, center console and engine access panel. Before you remove any lines, loosen the fuel cap enough to release pressure from the system. When pressure is gone use a 6 point 17mm socket on the top banjo bolt and remove. After that's off use a 12mm socket with an extension to remove the 2 bolts holding the bracket to the block. The lower fuel line is flexible, so once the bracket bolts are removed the filter can be maneuvered to a position favorable to access the lower fitting. Again, a 6 point 17mm socket will fit the banjo bolt, but since the filter is loose you'll also need a 19mm open end wrench to back things up (counter torque). Tim

My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota LE auto 4WD Van 238000 '71 Westfalia Euro version (missed it for years)

This is great info! I haven't done any of this yet, but I also haven't driven the van since I drove it home months ago either. I plan on doing EVERYTHING that I can think, that needs to be replaced or checked. I want to eventually go thorough alot of stuff on the engine side of things too. Something like, if someone bought a van with no history on it, and it has over 100,000 miles on it, what should be replaced or inspected. I'm thinking sensors, valves, maybe even connections, but this is a great start for a new owner!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

I bought a fuel filter for my 1985 but it did not include any washers? I think I read somewhere that the washers should be replaced when changing filter. And advice?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Rawb, sorry but until now I somehow missed your post. I'm sure you've already figured it out but I wanted to reply so the "next guy" could benefit.

The fuel filter is on the passenger side of the engine between the distributor and the oil filter (see arrow in picture below):

This is a big filter so unless you have a contaminated fuel system it should only need to be replaced at 60,000 mile intervals. To access and replace you must 1st remove the passenger side seat, center console and engine access panel. Before you remove any lines, loosen the fuel cap enough to release pressure from the system. When pressure is gone use a 6 point 17mm socket on the top banjo bolt and remove. After that's off use a 12mm socket with an extension to remove the 2 bolts holding the bracket to the block. The lower fuel line is flexible, so once the bracket bolts are removed the filter can be maneuvered to a position favorable to access the lower fitting. Again, a 6 point 17mm socket will fit the banjo bolt, but since the filter is loose you'll also need a 19mm open end wrench to back things up (counter torque). Tim

8. 05-30-2021, 02:08 PM

Reason
    duplication

My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE 2WD A/T

Re: unknown button for me, help...

-is the fuse layout in the 86 owner's manual the same with the 88 model?

My Van(s):

Re: unknown button for me, help...

The fuse block itself (and fuse positions) are the same for all years. Wiring behind the block, on the other hand, ain't.

Gwen

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota VAN WAGON 2wd

Changing the oil filter

Apologies if this topic has been discussed but I haven't found a ton of posts about oil filters. I did find information on where to locate it behind the passenger seat.

First off, I am mechanically incompetent and know very little about cars in general. I have owned my van for a year and gotten two oil changes so far. A few months ago I took it to Oil Can Henry's to do a cheap oil change and they didn't change the oil filter, since they claimed they couldn't access it from beneath. At the time I didn't think much of it, but I've started to get the feeling that I should switch it out myself.

I have located it and now I'm thinking of taking it out. Do I need a special tool or can I twist it off easily?

Is it imperative to drain the old oil out first?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Changing the oil filter

Since this is basic Van information, I moved your post to the thread "Basic Van knowledge for new owners". If you slide the passenger seat forward and lift the carpet, you will see an access panel cover held on with one screw (reference pics 4,5,& 7 in the 1st post of this thread). The oil filter can be accessed from here, but I usually just reach up from underneath and replace it without removing this cover (I'm already down there taking the drain plug off). Whether or not you need a filter wrench will depend on how tight the old filter is. I'll usually take the wrench with me when I lay down to pull the plug, but I try to do it by hand 1st (as I don't always need the wrench). Some oil will usually come out, but it will usually be less than 1/4 cup. Whether or not there's oil still in the engine will not affect the volume that leaks out here. I try to have a wad of paper towels handy to catch any leaking oil before it drips down off the filter pedestal.

Word of warning: Before trying to install the new filter, make sure the O-ring or rubber seal from your old filter is accounted for. I'll usually reach up there and run my finger around the filter mount surface just to be sure there's no foreign material there. There have been cases where a filter installer neglected this step and the rubber seal part of the old filter was left behind. Usually this would cause a big leak and be noticed right away..........but it's possible to get a temporary seal that can blow-out at any time (probably while driving on the highway when temperatures and pressures are at their highest). If such an event occurs, the results can be catastrophic to your engine. Since OC Henry put new oil in without replacing the filter, deciding to replace oil again would be up to you. Putting new oil in without changing the filter is like putting dirty cloths back on after a shower (so it depends on just how dirty your cloths are). Since anti-drain back valves are meant to hold dirty oil inside the filter, if your old filter has one, the dirty oil left in there would have been mixed with the new oil on start-up. Probably no big deal, just not a good practice to change oil without replacing filter.

Since our filters are installed "upside down" you should be replacing with one that has an anti-drain back valve. Most quality oil filters will have that, but not all will. You can tell by looking in the open side of the filter. If you can see into the smaller holes around the big hole, then it doesn't have one. If the holes appear to be blocked by a rubber barrier, then it has it. If you have any doubts, get a factory filter from Toyota. For any van (other than an automatic 4wd) IMO the best choice of filter is Toyota #15601-33021. Not all dealerships carry this one, but they can still get it. There are several different externally sized filters that will fit on the van and many different types/sizes of filter wrenches. The wrench you choose will depend on the filter you use and how you are trying to replace (from the top or from the bottom). If you're using the 15601-33021 filter, and you're reaching up from underneath to replace, the wrench to use would be THIS ONE. If you're going down from the top, I'd probably try to use a "cap wrench" (some call it a "cup wrench") that's designed for the specific filter you're using. Using a ratchet and extension (of an appropriate length) would be advised with the cap wrench method. The size cap wrench that fits the 15601-33021 is 80 mm x 15 flute. When putting the new one on, the correct tightness is about as tight as you can go (comfortably) with hand pressure only. If you use a filter wrench to snug it down, be careful not to go too tight (or you'll regret it next time around). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota VAN WAGON 2wd

Thanks Tim!

My Van(s):
    1987 panel 4x4

a empty and well cleaned out dish soap bottle makes filling your brake fluid quicker and with no mess.

My Van(s):
    1989 JDM 4x4 Diesel HiAce

Hey Tim- I'm the new owner of an JDM van and have been reading as much as I can here to get more familiar with it. Enjoying all the tips and advice on the site. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I just purchased a 1989 4x4 Diesel HiAce with only 46,000 original miles. I have no documentation or history on it so I will be systematically replacing all the fluids and filters and starting fresh. In this thread you mention your goto oil filter for all vans (besides the automatic 4wd) is the Toyota #15601-33021. Well, I have an A/T 4wd diesel. The filter I have cross referenced is #90915-03006. Do you have experience with these engines and what filter would you recommend? Can I assume that many of the OEM parts on the RHD Japan Imports translate to the US vans?

Thanks-