Thread: Rear brakes

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Rear brakes

Even though my Van isn't a diesel I'm posting over here cause it is a import just like the diesels. So we talked about the rear brakes and today I went into O'reilly's to compare the rear shoes the importer sent me and the North American Van shoes and this is what I've come up with. There's a huge difference and I hope I got the right parts from the importer??? I gave him my full chassis code when I ordered them so I'm thinking he sent me the correct parts. What other Toyota vehicle of the 84-90 era used shoes cause I'm thinking it would cross with maybe a 80's pickup or something? Wheel cylinders are small too!!

S30V I know you were able to get an exact match but maybe cause it's a 4WD??

check it out and see what you think.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 04-21-2015 at 11:31 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    90 2ct townace 4wd

Re: Rear brakes

I can measure any part of my rears if that helps, i'll be pulling them off again this week to replace the cylinders at rear. 90 2ct 4wd
    I just brought some cylinders and they were 7/8 which is wrong. the ones that are on it are 13/16.
    Last edited by adamh; 05-23-2015 at 09:20 AM.

My Van(s):

That'll be awesome, my Van is in the shop now and I walked back there to have a look at the old shoes and wheel cylinders and yes the importer sent me the correct ones. They're gonna give me the old parts back so I can try and cross referance them with other Toyota parts.

Looks ms like my front pads are down to 20% so I'm gonna have those replaced too but they said the rotors should be replaced. I haven't looked to see if the front rotors cross with U.S. vans but I'm pretty sure the front brake pads do. I picked up 4 sets of Toyota front pads on Amazon for $10.92 for 89' 2wd van.

Starter is going too, looks like the 3YEC starter will cross referance with the 3YEU.

I'll post pictures of the old parts when I get home.

thank you

My Van(s):

Sorry I didn't get the old part pictures up yet but I've been able to cross-referance the front brakes with 1989 North America Van- 2wd

Front brakes- 04465-YZZB3 OEM
    Front rotors- 43512-28051 OEM
    Front wheel bearings inner- 90368-31067 OEM
    Front wheel bearing outer - 90368-19037 OEM
    Front caliper- 0790603 Beck/Arnley left
    Front caliper- 0790604 Beck/Arnley right

And the starter matches with the 1984-1985 North America van-

DENSO Part Number: W0133-1603889
    Notes: Remanufactured - Production: -07/1985, 1.4 Kw
    Condition: Remanufactured

I remember reading somewhere that the import vans were comprised of different parts from various Toyota vehicles that's why the rear shoes are so different

So,far that's what I've been able to come up with.

Oh and I looked up the OEM brakes on Amazon and they are asking $49 for them now.... I got lucky!!!! Wooohooo!!

I remember that the alternator is the same in all year vans, does that apply to the starter as well?? Is the bolt pattern the same regardless if it's a 3Y or 4Y motor?
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 04-22-2015 at 11:29 AM.

5. 04-22-2015, 07:30 PM

My Van(s):

Went and did some physical research and this is what I was able to come up with on the rear shoes, cylinders, and starter.

I had the clerk pull shoes for a Camry so I could match them up with my old shoes and they looked like a good fit. I really had a hard time believing that it would match with the RAV4 and Solara cause I thought they had front and rear disc brakes but those vehicles did come up on the comparability chart.

The wheel cylinders matched up with the 1982-1987 Celica, 1972-1982 Corona, and 1980-1982 Cressida. How strange???

And yes the starter is different in the way it bolts up-
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    90 2ct townace 4wd

excellent info. Mine is slightly sick, off to the main dealer for diagnosis. I will Add some about brakes when I get it back.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    90 2ct townace 4wd

i had my rears off today to rebuild the cylinders, i used a seal kit number 04906-30080.
    it consist of both cylinder seals and dust cap for both rears in one kit. About $25

a load of dirt and debris came from inside the bore of cylinder, the bore was o.k just full of crap, probably dirt just got under the seals

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

The crap coming out is rust and corrosion from within the brake system caused by moisture absorbed by the fluid over time. Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it readily absorbs moisture. This is why you are supposed to change brake fluid every two to three years and always use a new or tightly sealed container of fluid. Just make sure your wheel cylinder bores are clean and not pitted before you reassemble and lube the piston cups with brake fluid. It's a good idea to run a hone lubed with a little wd40 through them if you have one to insure they are smooth.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    2008 Chrysler T&C, 1987 Toyota Master Ace Surf, 1976 Dodge maxi-van camper

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    Sorry I didn't get the old part pictures up yet but I've been able to cross-referance the front brakes with 1989 North America Van- 2wd

Front brakes- 04465-YZZB3 OEM
    Front rotors- 43512-28051 OEM
    Front wheel bearings inner- 90368-31067 OEM
    Front wheel bearing outer - 90368-19037 OEM
    Front caliper- 0790603 Beck/Arnley left
    Front caliper- 0790604 Beck/Arnley right

And the starter matches with the 1984-1985 North America van-

DENSO Part Number: W0133-1603889
    Notes: Remanufactured - Production: -07/1985, 1.4 Kw
    Condition: Remanufactured

I remember reading somewhere that the import vans were comprised of different parts from various Toyota vehicles that's why the rear shoes are so different

So,far that's what I've been able to come up with.

Oh and I looked up the OEM brakes on Amazon and they are asking $49 for them now.... I got lucky!!!! Wooohooo!!

I remember that the alternator is the same in all year vans, does that apply to the starter as well?? Is the bolt pattern the same regardless if it's a 3Y or 4Y motor?
    I'm a bit confused. You used front pads for a US 2wd van for your 87 JDM 4WD van? Thanks.