Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tires, tires, tires!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Tires, tires, tires!

I don't know. I'm a bit leery of used tires. Ask for the date code and weight rating I guess. Who knows what they've been through........

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd LE auto x 2

Quote Originally Posted by User1 View Post
    What do you know about Kumho tires? I don't know too much about the tires in question, but someone fairly near to me has these on CL.
    I've been running on a set of Kumho Solus KR21 for the past 2 years on my 2WD. They had good reviews on tirerack and were one of the few I could find locally in the stock size. For such a cheap set of tires I didn't expect much but they have a really quiet, smooth ride on the highway and good rain traction and even ok snow traction (for an all season tire). They ride a lot like the Michelin X's I had on another vehicle. They're sure better than the ancient tires that came on the van when I bought it. They rode like bricks and literally started bursting apart through the treads! I'm lucky I caught it before a blowout. Like Tim pointed out in his earlier post, it's a good idea to look at the date stamp especially if you're looking at used tires.
    Last edited by toad; 04-30-2012 at 12:52 AM.

My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota LE auto 4WD Van 238000 '71 Westfalia Euro version (missed it for years)

Quote Originally Posted by User1 View Post

OK so the tires I saw that was available at CostCo were the Michelin X-Radial DT. Anyone used these before and what's the verdict? Oh and they have the 205/75R 14 size and the price was $98.99.

GOOD NEWS for those that are looking at these tires at CostCo. Looks like CostCo is going to have these tires on-sale in their next sales flyer that they put out each month. It will be reduced by $70 for a set of four tires. NOT BAD! $330 if you have a membership with CostCo. Looks like this is what I'll be getting. They will be advertised around May 6-10.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd LE auto x 2

I got a set of those Michelin's on a Mazda pickup during one of those Costco sales and I really liked them. They had decent wet traction for an all season tire and a comfortable, quiet ride. They even got me home through a freak snowstorm that left a lot of other vehicles stuck. I would have gotten them for my 2WD van too but they don't make the right size.
    Last edited by toad; 05-03-2012 at 08:36 PM.

My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota LE auto 4WD Van 238000 '71 Westfalia Euro version (missed it for years)

Hey toad,

Thanks for the feedback on the tires. Yeah that's somewhat how I thought of the tires after reading a few reviews on them from others. They seems like they would be marginal for any off-roading, but as long as they could handle some. That's about as often as I'm going to find myself off-road I'm thinking. Would nice to think I'll be a big cowboy heading out each weekend into the dessert, but the thing has 238,000 miles on it! Lets be a little realistic here. I'd rather have the advantages in a good highway tire and survive with a bit of dirt roading. I'm looking at building up a little camper mobile too.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd LE auto x 2

Yeah that’s my take on them too—well suited to a van you don’t want to abuse too badly, but want to get out on some dirt roads for camping and hiking. I logged a lot of miles on dirt roads in my old mazda pickup and they held up well. They also seemed to stand taller and gave a little extra clearance than the ones I had on it previously. Good luck camperizing it—I miss my old (72) Westfalia too... and my old 4x4 Toyota van...
    Last edited by toad; 05-04-2012 at 07:16 PM.

My Van(s):

Oh I'm never going to get over that Westfalia. It was taken from me by the city I live in! I got some parking tickets at this one place I was living. I always forgot the day they had their street sweeping day. I come out to place I moved to after this one with the tickets and they're towing it away! They said it was abandon! I did some investigation on what made that determination and it's where a car gets three parking tickets in a row. I never got three in a row. I think I had three, but not in a row. Anyways they dung up a few other parking tickets on that and the killer one was a parking ticket I got on it in a red zone in Sacramento. Ended up that the cost to pay to get it out far exceeded what it was worth. Back 20 years ago, not today's prices. Had alot of things done to that van too. It was mostly stock. What was nice was disc brakes and that engine would come out in about an hour or two. Oh and those engines were so easy and cheap to rebuild or replace. 71 was the last year with that style and first year with disc brakes. After that it was bigger engine, smog equipment, and more accessories.

Such is life.

Oh those Michelin will be on sale from 5/10/12 to 6/3/12. $330 for four 80,000 mile tires.

My Van(s):

Looks like CostCo is extending the offer on these Michelins. I told them there's alot of rad folks that driving Toyota Vans and they would love to get in on this deal! So we negotiated back and forth and looks like we managed to agree to get it extended for another month. I would call the CostCo you shop at cause I called three in the surrounding area and got three different dates of when it will expire.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

i'll be getting new tires at some point - i searched carefully but most info was about 4wd: current setup is 2wd stock 14" wheels with stock size 195/75/14 - i'm looking to change to either 205/70/14 and 215/70/14

i'm hoping slightly lower profile but wider helps with handling and not getting blown around so much

i see 205/70/14 are ok but has anyone used 215/70/14 no problem?

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

I'm considering two options for new tires. Gonna swap my low milage tires from the 89 onto the 86 so I'm in the tire shopping business again.

I've been running Hankook Optimo H727 All-Seasons. I like them well enough and they wear very well. Pair with the KYB's in the front they handle pretty good too.
    Looking for something with thicker side walls this time around. 2 options have come up.

Hankook Vantra RA18- 185R14 102R 8 Ply - Vanagon owners love them.

Also looking at these - 195 75 14 - 6 Ply all-terrain - I've almost gotten stuck pretty often when camping lately so thought they could be a good option.

Any input?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The best tires I've had so far were the Hankook RA08 (now discontinued). The RA18 is the direct replacement for them & that's what I'm running now. They are not quite as stiff as the RA08's but are acceptable (and better than anything else I'm aware of that's currently in production). I've only been running them since December, but no problems so far.

Regarding stiffness, I'm running my van extremely overloaded (I'm grossing @ ~ 6,000 lbs). If you put these on a "reasonably" loaded van I'm sure they'd seem plenty stiff. I'm running the biggest ones that will fit on the van 195R14C 106/104R. They throw my speedo off a little, but I do a lot of freeway driving and I like keeping the engine at slightly lower RPMs. Tim

12. 03-14-2018, 08:53 AM

13. 03-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 LE

Hello can I drive with a Toyota 1984 2wd van 185/55/14 winter tires? Thanks!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 VanWagon LE --Mikimoto

Just bought a set of Thunderer Ranger 195 R14C and they would not fit on my 1984 2wd , Do the 84 85 2wd have less clearance than the 86-89? The tire guy ended up selling me a set of travelstar UN106 185 r14 and even those seem to have only a finger or two of clearance at the front wheel well by the lower edge door frame. Any 1st gen van owners chime in with their experience trying to run some beefier tires?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Pearlvan,

did you look in the driverside door jamb and see the recommended tire size?

Here’s a link to the SpecSheets that’ll give you all kinds of great info

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ns-and-Options

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 VanWagon LE --Mikimoto

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    Pearlvan,

did you look in the driverside door jamb and see the recommended tire size?

Here’s a link to the SpecSheets that’ll give you all kinds of great info

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ns-and-Options

JDM
    That's a neat reference. Thanks, JDM

But I was not asking about the recommended tire size. I was asking about fitting a larger than spec'd size tire in a first generation van. The reason I bring it up is Tim endorsed the 195R14C size and even showed a picture of the clearance on his laden 2wd van. Tim's endorsement of this larger tire size for 2wd vans may be only applicable to later model years and not the 3Y vans of 84-85, as I was unable to fit this tire size in my wheel wells (at least according to the guy at the tire shop). The shop guy said it rubbed significantly and would require massive trimming. I was under the impression that the body and wheel wells of all 2wd vans were identical regardless of model year, or at least I had not heard of any significant difference in body style between model years. Does anyone know what the deal is? perhaps someone who has owned an 84 or 85 and gotten bigger tires to fit. Perhaps the tire store guy was lying to me? Perhaps the Thunderer Rangers were much larger than the 195r14C Hankooks Tim uses? Or maybe 1st gen Vans really do have smaller wheel wells?

Thanks for your help in solving this mystery.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

I'll go out and check some tire sizes for you later today.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Might be worth checking ride height?

2WD torsion bars are adjustable.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

As I thought, my '85 wears 195/75R14. The speedo is dead on with these, and no rubbing or damage issues. The 84/85 owners manuals specifies 185/75s, but that size doesn't result in an accurate speed.

I've used 205/70/R14 for studded snow tires, but winter tires are softer rubber and that's why I got away with that.

The 1985 not-my-Van (spouse's) sitting in my carport for repair is wearing 205/70/R14 and has some spooky damage to the inside sidewalls (near the tread) of both front tires. The tread still has some wear left (not a lot), but with the sidewall damage, they're toast. Of course that Van also has dead shocks (one of the pending repairs), and that doesn't help any.

I'd agree with Burntboot (check and adjust torsion bars) after verifying that your Van's front shocks are OK.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Have a look in this thread page 2 posting 32-

Tim provides detailed information on tire sizes and thier OD size. That’ll give you an idea of what your supposed to be running and how much space the larger tire will take up in the wheel well.

Then you’ll have a better idea like BB and Gwen have mentioned about torsion bars, shocks, and how much hammering your gonna need to do to make the clearance.

JDM

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

So Bigger is Better?

When I bought the '87 4x4 last year it needed tires badly. I should have never driven it south from the Corvallis OR area with the tires on it but I did not know how bad those Michelin tires were aged - about 13 years old. Started looking with local dealers like LS and others. Found a highway tire with a little aggression - Chinese 'Go Form' which is a 6 ply on both top and side wall. The folks on a Toyota Pick-up Camper site like these for the Dolphins and other 3/4 ton camper pickups. Only about 1200 miles so far but I am happy with the ride. The other set of stock rims are out for bead blast and powder coat. I will look into to a more aggressive tire when I get these stock rims back. With the 195 SR 14 70 tires my speedo is dead on. With the -205 tires I originally had the speedo is about 6mph high.