Thread: Fuel injector insulators

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

Fuel injector insulators

Although I’m not often a gambler, I’d wager large sums of money that every Previa in existence which has never had the fuel injectors serviced has lower insulators which have turned to rubble.
    How important is it to deal with this? Not very. The insulators stop the injectors from bouncing around in the bore and making noise (which you probably can't hear anyway). However, if you have a reason to take the injectors out, do yourself a favor and order four 23291-75020 parts ahead of time.
    There is a pic near the end of this thread... https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...=fuel+injector ...with part numbers for the other rubber parts if you just got a large christmas bonus and want to order all of them, but most likely you don't need them.

Below are some photos and notes from doing this today on 32 year old, 297K miles injectors...

If, like me, you're a first timer taking injectors out, take the gas cap off to release any pressure. I didn't crack a fuel line joint forward of the fuel pump to release more pressure, but it's perhaps a good idea. To access the injectors this is a passenger seat out, engine cover off job.
    After you've got the electrical connectors unclipped, which, unusually, is fairly easy, and the injector holders off, it's time to pull out the injectors. They're just held in by the friction of the o-rings around the injectors. With your fingers pulling gently on the electrical connector boss, and some narrow profile pliers pulling gently on the stem, rotate back and forth and it should come out with only cave-man force. If you have to use gorilla force, gawd help you not break anything. Try to get them out reeealllll slowly so you don't get a spurt of gas in your face, especially if you didn't crack a joint.

#1 cylinder. I thought this was bad.

DABA1C5E-3F72-457E-A0FC-19A02A0CD96A.jpg

I stuck a piece of emission control hose in the hole to stop the pieces falling into the cylinder.

28FF5102-750A-486C-8AF6-3B62EEF271C1.jpg

An unwound paper clip with grease on the end worked well to fish out the detritus.

95BECFE6-623B-4AB2-B999-76B4FA9B0120.jpg

#2 cylinder. Yeah, this one's bad

1C230DFD-D6BA-4A60-A65E-2848AAB06592.jpg

#3 cylinder. Hahahaha.
    The paperclip and grease even worked well on this rubber-fuel sludge.

C29A6E51-2ADE-49C9-BADD-525AD430C273.jpg

#4 cylinder

2F3F6AF8-F0DE-4DE9-9DF7-424B9906443A.jpg

When pushing the injectors back in, put a very thin smear of grease on the bores in the fuel rail, and on the injector o-rings - it really helps them go in without damage.
    Last edited by Jonny; 12-17-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Re: Fuel injector insulators

Jonny, you just did the (Previa) world a great service.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    67 Chevy 69 Chevy 70 Chevy 96 Previa 04 Sprinter

So, how many miles/years on those insulators? 30 year old originals, or have they been previously replaced?

Just wondering because I replaced mine during a head gasket job a while back. 179K miles at the time, but I don't recall their being crumbly.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 Previa LE alltrac N/A

Wow what a mess! Are you sending them in to be cleaned and flow tested? I was just thinking about doing this to mine. I'm on the path of trying to get maximum fuel efficiency. Right now im only getting around 350km per fill up.
    My #2 injector seems to be making more noise then the other 3 injectors. They were all a little noisy when I was running it with the passenger access door taken off the other day.