Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A/C, power steering, and fan (water pump/alternator) belts

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs

Re: replacing belts

Maybe this will help?
    The first pic is left(engine side washer) to right(the nut holding it on) in order going away from the engine.
    The second is all the washers and bearings' backside or what you would see if you were the engine facing out but from right to left.
    The pictures do not show the depth or shape of the cupped washers-maybe I'll amend this post later for clarity.
    Is that confusing?

Name:  IMG_20180111_150616566.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  94.5 KBName:  IMG_20180111_150640101.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  93.1 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

Need help on installing power steering belt

Hi all,
    I have a 1989 Toyota Van LE 2.2 L and recently the power steering belt snapped (scared me to death on the freeway). Does anyone have any technical advice or photos of the installation/how the belt should normally look? I have the original manual, but it does not show any useful diagrams on installing the belt. Any help is appreciated! Love the site, thanks for everything.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Need help on installing power steering belt

Cedar - While replacing the belt will certainly correct that aspect of the failure, you need to determine why the belt failed.
    99% of the time it will be a seized idler pulley (the pulley that moves to adjust tension on the Pwr Str belt)

As a side note, you will need to drop the belts that are in front first, alternator for sure, not sure about A/C (if so equipped), been awhile since I was in there.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

Thanks Burntboot. I looked at that thread earlier, for some reason the videos/pictures were not loading. I will try looking again. Also, thank you for the advice on the idler pulley. How do I know if that seized/if it did seize how do I fix it? Thanks a ton!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

Does anyone know if it's okay to drive without the belt? It is obviously harder to turn but from what I could tell the belt was not attached to anything else except for the power steering.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Quote Originally Posted by cedarsvan View Post
    Does anyone know if it's okay to drive without the belt? It is obviously harder to turn but from what I could tell the belt was not attached to anything else except for the power steering.
    Perfectly OK as long as you're physically able to drive without P/S. On your '89, that should not require much extra muscle. On the '84-'85 vans, it's definitely tougher (recirculating ball instead of rack and pinion).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

there was a little debate about extra stress on the bevel gear(part of the linkage toward the front, makes a 90 coupling), but my 87 4x4 came with all the power steering components removed and i dont miss it...it really cleans up the engine compartment as well, making it way easier to access the alternator and thermostat among other things...it helps to have the van moving and your tires properly inflated...

8. 01-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE Cargo van

Re: replacing belts

super helpful, thank you!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

Re: Power steering belt

Wanted to let everyone know this thread was very helpful to me! I just ordered the bearing from Ebay...looking forward to tuning up my old tensioner.

-Hugh