Thread: Custom Kitchen / Storage insert for Toyota van

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

Kitchen for Toyota van

Last edited by kenneth; 01-19-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 Town Ace TD 5-speed 4WD

Re: Custom Kitchen / Storage insert for Toyota van

Duuuude that's a bargain and a half! It is really well engineered it appears, but why would you want to remove it from your van!? It looks like the whole interior is custom matching. Years ago I bought a Cadillac Fleetwood "Limo" (not a full limo, but a factory long wheelbase) with a rear power glass partition, a phone system from rear to driver, full bar, TV and console stereo. I ripped it all out because I planned to re-do the interior, but I never got around to it and I ALWAYS regretted ruining that awesome, unique custom interior.

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

I wondered who bought that van? Spoke with the previous owner a couple times, but always wanted more than I was willing to part with.
    What are your plans with the van?
    Josh
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 cargo

Woooo thats awesome i wonder how much it would be to ship that to the midwest hah

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

I did not buy the van off of the previous owner John but my buddy in Colorado who had bought it ..... No specific plans for the van other than driving!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    I wondered who bought that van? Spoke with the previous owner a couple times, but always wanted more than I was willing to part with.
    What are your plans with the van?
    Josh

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 toyota van le 4x4

still for sale in southern california

My Van(s):
    89 4WD, 87 le 4WD, 85 2wd , 87 2wd cargo , 88 2wd cargo. 76 International Harvester school bus,

That thing is really cool. The only problem I see is engine access. how hard is it to move this thing to open the hatch? I am in the process of designing a modular camper unit, and I am thinking kitchen in back. The reason being is that, when on a trip, the last thing I want to do is have to take the kitchen out only to add some oil ( Yes, I need valve guides, but thats beside the point). I also like the idea of not getting cooking grease on the ceiling of the cab.
    Does any one have any pictures of their camper units? I am always looking for ideas. I was thinking of building a small fleet of camper vans to rent to tourists @ Yellowstone. Also, does any one know if there is a source for the hinges they use in the westfalia units?

Happy vanning everyone

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

PinballMolly on Instagram has the unit in her van now. It's so sweet.

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by 89TownAce View Post
    PinballMolly on Instagram has the unit in her van now. It's so sweet.
    I went to check her out on Instagram because I was super intrigued by that kitchen insert, and it looks like her van got stolen.

Recovered, but in the pictures and videos it looks like the storage unit is gone. Probably in a dumpster, that sucks!
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4WD
    1988 Toyota Truck 4WD
    1988 BMW M5

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

She has more than one van.... I installed it in the one that did NOT get stolen!

Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    I went to check her out on Instagram because I was super intrigued by that kitchen insert, and it looks like her van got stolen.

Recovered, but in the pictures and videos it looks like the storage unit is gone. Probably in a dumpster, that sucks!

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    She has more than one van.... I installed it in the one that did NOT get stolen!
    Still sucks another one got stolen, but glad to hear mostly good news!
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4WD
    1988 Toyota Truck 4WD
    1988 BMW M5

My Van(s):
    86 LE

Cool Re: Custom Kitchen / Storage insert for Toyota van

The one that was stolen was my van (well, we're married so half of it is mine). We did get it back but they stole the wheels, battery, radio, weird random little parts and broke the passenger side mirror. Cut the steering wheel to get the club off. Kill switch time.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

That's very good to hear. Still I'm bummed for you guys, but happy you got her back.

On my last van I installed a remote operated kill switch on the battery. I don't remember where I bought it from, but it came with a key fob like an alarm and you could remotely kill the battery. It was really cool!

My Van(s):
    89 4WD, 87 le 4WD, 85 2wd , 87 2wd cargo , 88 2wd cargo. 76 International Harvester school bus,

I had one of my vans stolen last summer. We were downtown checking out some music. Went out for a smoke break to discover our van was gone. The police thought I was drunk or something. It took a fair amount of convincing to get them to take me seriously. At that point they told me that since the tank was full, I could count on not getting it back. Montana is a big state. We decided to check out the other bars in town, and sure enough found it with the engine still running at the liquor store a mile away. I wasn't able to determine who stole it, but I guess I don't care in the end. I'm just glad to have gotten it back. When the weather gets better I will be installing killswitches in all my cars.

Getting back on topic. Does any one have any cool pictures of their home built or other camper units for toyota vans? I am still in the design process for a camper unit that can be easily installed/ removed by one person. Even though I have multiple vans, I want to make it removable so it could be transferred if need be. I like the kitchen in the back because the back hatch keeps you dry when its raining and you can stand up when cooking.( The only drawback is, if there is a ban on open fires in the natl. forest. I was hassled by a park ranger using a similar system. After showing him the fire extinguisher he let me continue cooking my dinner). I need to scrap some hinges from an RV couch or a westfallia camper unit to make the bed work. Once built and tested, I plan to make templates available, so others can build one for themselves.

I saw an outfit in Australia that rents out these campers on a weekly basis. I would like to do something similar here in Montana.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Chardog1971 View Post
    they told me that since the tank was full, I could count on not getting it back. Montana is a big state.
    Sorry,but that is funny.
    Now that's an urgent beer run. Congrats getting it back.

I'm building mine in the same fashion. Still planning as well.
    Need to seat 3 (strapped in for offroad) regardless of design.
    Double Bed will split to allow for bikes,motorcycle and kitchen sink \ stove will slide & swing out under the hatch.
    Using speed rails for all of it. PO started it that way, likely only need a few new piece$$ once I stop changing my mind.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Currently: 89 4wd Toyota Van auto 87 4wd Toyota Van 5spd 84 2wd Toyota Van Auto Country Homes Poptop Previous: 89 Mitsubishi Star Wagon (Delica) 87 Toyota Van Le (2wd) 82 VW Vanagon Diesel Camper

I have a country homes Westfalia style kitchen and heater insert that I'm selling for $400 in Connecticut if anyone is still looking.