Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random 92 Awd stalling issue ..

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Re: Random 92 Awd stalling issue ..

Quote Originally Posted by ArashB View Post
    "Once stalled she won't start for 5-30 min"
    I was having the same symptoms... but I think I just fixed mine tonight...
    GREAT JOB....
    Carbon deposits cause EGR valve to stick
    Stuck open The engine will idle rough and possibly have repeated problems yet run good at part throttle and under load.
    Stuck closed may not have any drivability complaints other than check engine light on. Maybe some pinging at part throttle.
    Most common cause of EGR flow trouble codes is a plugged up intake passage. Deposits form in intake passage when HOT exhaust gases rapidly cool when entering the low pressure intake manifold.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

[QUOTE=Tjsprevia;32850]Easier said then done for sure .. for me ..

took it it to the Toyota dealer and they said my van was too old to work on because it had and obi 1 and not a OBI2

This right here is reason to never go there again except as an absolute last resort. Who knows what they might do to your poor van if they get their tools on it.

Regarding some of the DIY testing stuff suggested here, I may have missed this in the thread, but do you own an actual Toyota repair manual for your 91? If not, it is a worthy investment - they are very well written and informative, and the troubleshooting sections for codes, though sometimes dauntingly lengthy, are pretty good. A lot of the diagnostics and testing is quite doable with the manual to follow, and using the mechanics like the ones at your dealership as examples of what lurks out there, doing whatever you can yourself is a worthwhile endeavor.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    92 awd previa 96 awd s/c previa

that knock sensor looks like a real pia to get at ..cut off wheel nessary ..

The car ran good today and almost ran out of gas coming home , after filling it up . It now refuses to start .. it will run on ether., but won’t stay running ..

also , I never had any codes until I put a fuel pressure guage on and drove it to the store

.. mind you the van has never liked the gas station , even when going on a beer run .

I’ve always felt it was a fuel issue , but the pressure guage says other wise

is it possible the fuel cut off switches in the tank are bad or ..

indeed exes I need to order the manual, no body will work on this thing .. not even the mechanic that owned 6 of these things ..

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Quote Originally Posted by Tjsprevia View Post
    almost ran out of gas coming home , after filling it up . It now refuses to start .. it will run on ether., but won’t stay running .. .
    never good to run tank low especially older vehicles...really wears fuel pump hard. Could be failing...have you tried the old banging on tank trick? See if pump starts pumping gas again at no start issue?
    You Listen for pump prime sound at key on when no start occurs?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by tbkilb01 View Post
    never good to run tank low especially older vehicles...really wears fuel pump hard. Could be failing...have you tried the old banging on tank trick? See if pump starts pumping gas again at no start issue?
    You Listen for pump prime sound at key on when no start occurs?

I reckon the fuel pump does not turn on until the motor is being started , I’ve jumpered the fuel pump
    On the diagnostic port and it sounds ok .. haha yeah oh roflroflroflrofl !! I forgot , a few years ago the drive shaft snapped off the transpher case while driving and the shaft dented the roflroflroflrofl out of the tank .. hmmmm whonder if that’s when this issue started .. I think it is .. hmmm Apifiny ..

all the years of clues tell me it’s fuel , ( starts with ether, )( frantically pumping the gas on the freeway to get it going again sometimes works ).. systems have slowly be getting worst .. fuel Econ it down ( knock sensor coding up Likly because of ether..

then i think spark , well is fires up with ether , can’t be spark .. or it wouldn’t fire with ether

air , hmm air .. I replaced the MAF f

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2WD Toyota Van LE Cargo

My van has been daily driving for weeks without issue, after I took the throttle body out and cleaned the vacuum lines to the egr.
    But most common spot for buildup is just behind the throttle body, in the intake. Theres a small port leading to the egr that gets gummed up and rendering the egr useless. After a couple bent screw drivers, I was able to dig out the carbon, and soak the port in carb cleaner.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by 85CargoSpace View Post
    My van has been daily driving for weeks without issue, after I took the throttle body out and cleaned the vacuum lines to the egr.
    But most common spot for buildup is just behind the throttle body, in the intake. Theres a small port leading to the egr that gets gummed up and rendering the egr useless. After a couple bent screw drivers, I was able to dig out the carbon, and soak the port in carb cleaner.
    Yesterday I removed the throttle body and socked the whole unit in carb cleaner for about 3 hours and reinstalled , it had a sticky throttle valve cable , which I fixed with some wd40

i disnt have a feeler guage to re position the TBs to .033 ( headed to get one now . But on my way to the auto store she died .. seems to stall on command around 40 if I’m at a steady low speed for more than a couple miles ..

now to tackle that check engine light , knock sensor .. how do I test that ? And it looks really hard to get at ..

thanks .. really cussing the van today

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

Quote Originally Posted by tbkilb01 View Post
    GREAT JOB....
    Carbon deposits cause EGR valve to stick
    Stuck open The engine will idle rough and possibly have repeated problems yet run good at part throttle and under load.
    Stuck closed may not have any drivability complaints other than check engine light on. Maybe some pinging at part throttle.
    Most common cause of EGR flow trouble codes is a plugged up intake passage. Deposits form in intake passage when HOT exhaust gases rapidly cool when entering the low pressure intake manifold.
    Thanks... but I think I spoke too soon... the car characteristics have changed, but it stalled today. Will be looking for more solutions and will start another thread in the future.

I think Im going to try to jump the ecu settings as pointed out in the following remedies next.

Almost Stalls at Stop, Stutters when Accelerating when Warm
    http://zenseeker.net/Previa/PreviaMa...nce-Engine.htm

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Jjjjjjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjsprevia View Post
    Yesterday I removed the throttle body and socked the whole unit in carb cleaner for about 3 hours and reinstalled , it had a sticky throttle valve cable , which I fixed with some wd40

i disnt have a feeler guage to re position the TBs to .033 ( headed to get one now . But on my way to the auto store she died .. seems to stall on command around 40 if I’m at a steady low speed for more than a couple miles ..

now to tackle that check engine light , knock sensor .. how do I test that ? And it looks really hard to get at ..

thanks .. really cussing the van today
    that dang van friggin thing stalled so many times today

Brought her home and used the feeler gauge .035 to set the throttle position sensor, it was a real PIA to do this with the throttle body in .. tape and alligator clips , ohm tester.. There is a good video on you tube , search tps previa .. Aussie guy, well done ..

i put in my old MAF sensor ( don’t know why ) and my van stalled a couple more times on a short drive but started up without ether ... hmmm , as soon as I would let off the gas, the engine would instantly feel like a Engin brake switch had been turned on ..

Sunday .. 4/21/2018 made a trip the to laundromat, the van always stalls there .. had a quick no start , but then it fired up .. my van is running much better better idle, smoother running .. and has yet to die after many trips to places where she would normally not start ..

ill keep you all posted ,
    I have not messed with he knock sensor yet

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

Test drove the van twice since and I think this time renewing the TSB wires fixed the stalling!
    Moving the cable around can change the dynamics... may not just be the sensor calibration.

Ive been having stalling and no start problems, off and on, for a long time. Thanks for starting this post and everyone's help.

More detail into my fix.
    A couple of nights ago I not only found one TPS wire modified from the previous owner, but pulling on the 4 set of wires, one just cut in half! First pic here, the wire towards the bottom, Blue with a black stripe (VC,12v source) .

I tested the wire lengths for other cuts and plug connections using the multimeter continuity beep and it was good so I kept the stock.
    Its hard to crimp given the situation, and the wire can pop out if not done perfect.

I then re-tested the ECU plug and end connection for cut off of continuity by moving the whole TPS harness and the beep kept on.

I finished it off with a glue gun to hopefully seal it from moister. One can see how the plug tab also looks like in this picture.
    Last edited by ArashB; 04-28-2018 at 02:48 AM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2WD Toyota Van LE Cargo

That's awesome you found the problem..
    Electrical gremlins are the hardest to find.
    It's frustrating because when these vans are well taken care of they are reliable as hell.
    I've got 3 vans.. an 84 with 212k and injector issues
    An 87 with 175k and cooling issues
    And a previa with 287k that has never been tooken care of.
    Oh and an 03 echo with 275k. I will always love my toyotas.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

it was the distributor !!! the sensor inside was shot . code 12-13

love you guys

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

Just 2 weeks ago I fixed the other stalling and not starting issue I was having on top of the previous problem... the coolant temperature sensor! Only cost me less then $10.

Quote Originally Posted by 85CargoSpace View Post
    That's awesome you found the problem..
    Electrical gremlins are the hardest to find.
    It's frustrating because when these vans are well taken care of they are reliable as hell.
    I've got 3 vans.. an 84 with 212k and injector issues
    An 87 with 175k and cooling issues
    And a previa with 287k that has never been tooken care of.
    Oh and an 03 echo with 275k. I will always love my toyotas.
    It feels so good to have a nice working Previa again... mid engine is still so superior to anything thats out there.