Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random 92 Awd stalling issue ..

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    92 awd previa 96 awd s/c previa

Random 92 Awd stalling issue ..

I have a 92 previa , she has 260k on her and runs like a top ..sometimes it will stall on the freeway
    sometimes it stalls in town , or when parked on a hill .. Or rolling into a turn .. Once stalled she won't start for 5-30 min .. Sometimes it will start back by pumping the gas will rolling in gear .. (Have to be going fast)

Ive replaced the MAF with a salvaged one .. Not it !

It it starts right up if I use starting fluid but sounds like a diesel for a second ..

Oldly ky it seems to do it more often with a full tank !!

Could it be either fuel cut off valves ? Starts easy with starting fluid and if the air box is off it won't start .. ( MAF )

thanks for any help ..

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    95 previa

Re: Random 92 Awd stalling issue ..

distributor, cap, rotor? distributor o ring? plugs? wires?
    Tali-Van 95 SC AWD DX with 188k work van/family road trip mobile,LT215/70/16 General Grabber AT2, SmittyBilt Black Steel Front Bumper,FullSize SUV Cargo Caddy, Compustar T11/Drone/EZ-Go/Touch RPS
    Train horns, Rigid LED lights, trailer hitch, projector retrofit
    Join the facebook group!
    03 4Runner v8 Zombie Response Unit - "Umbrella Corp. Where our business is life itself...."
    01 Volvo C70 Convertible Manual with A LOT of mods!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by gshadow32 View Post
    distributor, cap, rotor? distributor o ring? plugs? wires?

living on the Oregon coast I thought the same thing ..

I just pulled the throttle body off (pain in ass with those hard to get at violent lines !) the big hole on the right side of the carb was totally plugged with a growth of debris black and rocky jetting into passway.. There was a bit (couple table spoons ) of motor oil in the intake manifold ?

i also changed the fuel filter ...

seems to to be running much better 10 min of driving .. See how it holds up

rotor cap wire replaced 15k ago .. Not by me

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Tjsprevia View Post
    living on the Oregon coast I thought the same thing ..

I just pulled the throttle body off (pain in ass with those hard to get at violent lines !) the big hole on the right side of the carb was totally plugged with a growth of debris black and rocky jetting into passway.. There was a bit (couple table spoons ) of motor oil in the intake manifold ?

i also changed the fuel filter ...

seems to to be running much better 10 min of driving .. See how it holds up

rotor cap wire replaced 15k ago .. Not by me

well not it , parked it for 10 min wouldn't start , starting fluid work but it sounds like a diesel when it first fires ! Normal?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Still no luck , I took it to 2 mechanics locally, asked one to do an injector clean (he didn’t ) the other said blown motor , but soon realized he never looked at it either .

off to the dealer for an injector clean 175.00:( the van is finally throwing codes , it did this shortly after installing a fuel pressure gauge and driving around..

cyclinders are at 100. 108. 104. 110 which is amazing for a rig with 2900000 miles ..

its not fuel pressure 38 psi-44-psi

starts up with starting fluid ,
    seems to die when cruising st lower speeds after coming off high speeds
    only does it when warm or hot
    will start back up when slightly cooler or after 25 min

Seems like 3 codes popping , I can’t tell maybe I should send a vid ? For help with reading them ?

Thanks for any advise

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2WD Toyota Van LE Cargo

I was having a simular issue.
    My previa has got 290,000kms and was neglected for the past 2 years..
    It was having an issue where it would take a few extra cranks to start, and once warm it would idle up and stall, sometimes without idling up. And wouldn't turn on for 5-10 min's.
    I did a tuneup
    Spark plugs
    Cap and rotor ( which was full of oil)
    Air filter
    OIL change
    And this did not fix it
    So I took the throttle body out and cleaned it, along with the vacuum lines around the throttle body. I noticed a port on the right side of the intake manifold leads to the egr valve, it was completely gummed up with carbon.
    I used multiple picks, carb cleaner and slammed it back together and the idle and die issue has vanished.
    Theres also a screw you can take out between the port and the egr valve, that can help you dig out some of that carbon.
    There's a good chance your egr vacuum system is clogged and causing vacuum problems

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Yeah I was thinking it was the EGR.. I did the same thing you did , removed the TB and cleaned all the ports .. but the EGR valve tube was stuffed with black crystals..

i couldnt get the thing off .. even after buying a crows foot tool

my rig just stalled again this morning , it was on my way to work and stalled in the exact same spot as it did yesterday..

it seems to do this(stall) when I’m off the throttle comming down “the hill” ..

funny thing I did notice on this tank, is that it didn’t stall until the take was half full ..

fired back up without starting fluid this time after 10 min ..

Judt stalled again while driving ..pulled into the Spanish grocery.. won’t start , shot with fluid . Won’t start , started for a second sounded like a diesel .. died .. re roflroflroflrofl started fluid , cranked for a while .. started drove 200 feet died again .. just roflroflroflrofl roflroflroflrofl roflroflroflrofl roflroflroflrofl ..

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

Im having stalling issues too, this owner recently had his fixed because of the EGR valve not functioning.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/topics/60707

I have a bunch of EGR info in the following zipped file... part manual and translated info/pictures from an Asian forum
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/kvq002...%20EGR%20+.rar

Im trying to figure out how the EGR works through YouTube and see which manuals instruction will test the EGR valve function only before trying to clean it and run it for a difference.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 5spd

It does indeed sound like an EGR problem. EGR is supposed to suck up exhaust fumes from the exhaust and redirect it to the intake. Of course this also sucks in carbon, and once mixed with oil from the PCv, you get clogging. EGR primarily does its job once the vehicle is warmed up, because EGR function is to keep combustion temperatures down, lowering toxic emissions. If the thing is getting stuck after coming from a long, hot drive, you could have some air fuel mixture problems, making it sound bad after first starting.

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Seems like 3 codes popping , I can’t tell maybe I should send a vid ? For help with reading them ?
    Thanks for any advise
    Ever pull codes?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

Edit - wondering why constant coolant was pouring out one of the ports after I unplugged one of the EGR valve hoses?

i couldnt get the thing off .. even after buying a crows foot tool

How I got mine opened today... turning clockwise. 1 inch crowfoot.
    https://i.imgur.com/BDxFFkH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zxSiu5q.jpg

I added WD40 a few times as i was turning it and just used the single crowfoot piece alone by moving it with my hand and wedging a flat head screw driver in at times.

I'll probably shove the valve into a small container full of lamp oil (Kerosene) overnight and use a mini vac to hose adapter to test the EGR for movement.
    Last edited by ArashB; 04-16-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by tbkilb01 View Post
    Ever pull codes?

https://youtu.be/AcAAT5AwQ_A here are he codes I have to make a video because the vid wouldn’t load on this site

the ol girl has been stalling a ton , and refuses to start without starting fluid when she’s running the slightest temp after driving and sitting ..

She’s going on Wednesday to the dealer for a injector flush ( 175bones ) might be a waste of good hard earned money ....

My Van(s):
    92 previa

I'm seeing 12,13,43,52..
    12&13 relate to RPM signal from dizzy
    43 is starter signal wire to ECM
    52 relate to knock sensor signal
    im thinking loose ground wire?
    Last edited by tbkilb01; 04-17-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Revisited codes

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I'm seeing 12,13,52,53....
    12&13 relate to RPM signal
    52&53 relate to knock sensor signal & knock sensor control signal
    im thinking loose ground wire?

Hahah, not even close to what I was seeing. Seems really hard to read . Ground wire sounds uggg ruff

thanks for looking

do you think that either of those things would cause a stalling no start issues ?

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Looking at wiring diagrams, it may be your pickup coil or igniter.. Ned to test em..easy stuff...

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Hahah, not even close to what I was seeing. Seems really hard to read . Ground wire sounds uggg ruff

thanks for looking

do you think that either of those things would cause a stalling no start issues ?
    Igniter may get hot under stress...overheat..till cool off, but.....? So have you tried/used the SEARCH feature of this forum? It's absolutely filled with information on these Toyota vans. They all use the same basic systems. It may not be injectors although share some of the same wiring....?
    This topic has come up on several occasions...research a bit and get to know your enemy!
    is yours a 91 as posted on YouTube or 92 as posted on here? Not much difference but is diff wiring diagram @ ECU
    Last edited by tbkilb01; 04-17-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

"Once stalled she won't start for 5-30 min"
    I was having the same symptoms... but I think I just fixed mine tonight... one of the EGR steel lines (modulator to valve) was completely plugged... bent one side to drill it but ended up creating a hole around the other bend with the drill bit... I substituted a metal pipe from a fancy pen.

My EGR valve and modulator filter looked bad [my Previa is at 240 kilometers (150 miles)], so instead of trying to refurbish it... I used newer parts from a Previa I had recently imported from Japan.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Igniter may get hot under stress...overheat..till cool off, but.....? So have you tried/used the SEARCH feature of this forum? It's absolutely filled with information on these Toyota vans. They all use the same basic systems. It may not be injectors although share some of the same wiring....?
    This topic has come up on several occasions...research a bit and get to know your enemy!
    is yours a 91 as posted on YouTube or 92 as posted on here? Not much difference but is diff wiring diagram @ ECU
    Oh my , what an idiot I am .. my vans a 1991 awd

what I find that is weird, is that it will start up fine with starting fluid .. she didn’t stall today and the engine light does not come on in the morning when I warm her up .. after about 50 feet of driving the engine light comes back on ..

im headed to the dealership in an hour , and have decided against the injector cleaner.. and am going for 2 hours of diognostics .. the previa guy in Seattle told me he has a feeling of it either being a TPS or efi timer (aka cold start injector..

ill keep every one posted

thanks so much .. meanwhile I will keeps searching this forum for ideas

loving he community here

tj

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Looking at wiring diagrams, it may be your pickup coil or igniter.. Ned to test em..easy stuff...
    Easier said then done for sure .. for me ..

took it it to the Toyota dealer and they said my van was too old to work on because it had and obi 1 and not a OBI2

fuxning confuser mechanics .. glad I took work off for that

My Van(s):
    92 previa

I'm headed to the dealership in an hour , and have decided against the injector cleaner.. and am going for 2 hours of diognostics .. the previa guy in Seattle told me he has a feeling of it either being a TPS or efi timer (aka cold start injector..
    tj

The cold start injector is easy nuff to test... don't think it injects once an has warmed up...ECU knows it's at operating temp...by then. Have em look at codes.
    Good luck... let us know answer!
    Last edited by tbkilb01; 04-19-2018 at 08:52 AM.