Thread: lift + shocks + tires on 4WD, and how to install Mr. Gasket spacers

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 TV 2wd M/T 87 4x4 LE A/T

lift + shocks + tires on 4WD, and how to install Mr. Gasket spacers

Hello

I'm preparing to lift my van (87 4x4) with mr gasket spacers x4 and torsion bat adjustment.
    Can someone link me to info on how to install the spacers to the coil springs? I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.

Thank you!!

i also just ordered the General Grabbers 27 28.5 r14's to have mounted next week

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Re: How to install Mr Gasket?

i actually would advise against the spacers - they PO of my van had them and they mushed outward and slipped pretty much out of the seating and dropped the van back down. they're useless IMHO. i installed tacoma bilstein shocks and aerostar springs (cut slightly shorter) and got a nice lift in the back plus the added travel of a longer shock and spring. i copied this method from a user here (coronan). here is the thread where he talks about this mod.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks!

Ill consider that option. I definitely would prefer to do this 'right' the first time. If I go with the MR Gasket I will make a fastener to keep the spacer in place. (I'm thinking a hose clamp around the gasket screwed in place). But really the Aerostar springs method doesn't sound much more difficult.

I have the Blistein shocks on order, arriving in a few days

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Yeah the only thing about the aerostar springs was making sure you don't cut them too short. I borrowed a neighbor and his angle grinder for that part. It wasn't too bad. Hardest part was just wrestling the old springs off and new ones on, which you'll have to do either way. Really happy with the results so far

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

How did you decide how short to cut them?
    was it very difficult to remove off the Aerostar?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

I bought them new (MOOG CC845 springs) and cut off 1 maybe 2 coils? Can't remember for sure but you can check out the second page on that thread the posts by djshimon, I used his posts for reference when I did mine

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

lift + shocks + tires on 4WD

Recently got the van lifted with mr gasket spacers. 4 total one on top and one on bottom of each coil (rear). Also kept the original spacer that is on top of each coil.

upgraded to the Tacoma shocks recommended in the 'krusty' post.
    And went with General Grabber AT2 27x8.5 ($450 + $50 for balancing etc)

unfortunately i I did the work last week so my recap will be as limited as my memory.

Before:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    old 'bushing' beneath the coil. I discarded this

image.jpg
    original upper spacer

image.jpg

the Mr gasket spacers are too short in diameter for the top and too long for the bottom. So I used the piece I trimmed from the bottom to fill in the gap up top and then made a 'bracket' to hold it all in place. My bracket was a section of hose clamp screwed into the rubber mr gasket. I went with mr gasket on top and the original spacer beneath it.

image.jpg
    new shoes!!

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Spring compressor

image.jpg
    install complete

image.jpg
    adjusted torsion bars (tightened nut) to bring each side of the van (front) up. Torsion bolt is located near the front of the gas tank and opposite on the other side. These have a lock nut that needs to be broken free before you can adjust for height. It's a 22mm.

image.jpg

all done for now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

Re: lift + shocks + tires 87 4x4

Nice pics. Thanks for posting. Do you have any pics of exactly how you used the hose clamp to mend the Mr.Gasket?

I have a set of Bilsteins that I have been meaning to install for a long time, and intend to do so in the next couple of weeks. Just ordered the Mr.Gaskets.

Did you have any trouble turning the nuts to adjust the torsion bars? Mine look fine (not corroded or anything) but I can't turn them. Tried two regular wrenches (one on each nut), then a breaker bar with a crows foot wrench but it's hard to get leverage with the way the crows foot comes off the breaker at 90 deg. Is there another tool I should know about? Should the nuts turn while the van is on the ground, or do you need to jack it up first?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I used PB blaster penetrating oil on the torsion bar nuts. They were tough to break free. I just used two wrenches. You'll want to push the nuts in opposite directions.

I don't have a pic of the hose clamp. If you had one long enough, could just run it all the way around and screw it in place (into the rubber Mr gasket.

for mine I cut off a section of hose clamp and screwed it into the MR gasket

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

looks great! no rubbing/clearance issues with the tires?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I trimmed the wheel well / door up front. And I've noticed a bit of rubbing if I hit a bump with the wheels cranked to one side. So far very happy with the tires / lift

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD 5 Speed #1 - 1988 4WD 5 Speed #2

Mr. Gasket Lift Tip

Mr. Gasket spacers are split. I assume so they can be fit universally on many different vehicles. As others have mentioned here on TVT, you need to cut a piece off the bottom spacer so its the right size, then you can add the chunk you cut off to the top spacer to fill in the gap it leaves.

Once the van is safely up on jack-stands and the axle is supported by the jack, remove the two bolts for the sway bar, and the one bolt for the panhard bar on the axle, then lower the axle with the jack until the coils are just loose enough to get both gaskets on. Once at that point, I found it made it much easier to use zip ties to keep the new spacers in place while you reset the suspension back in place. Very simple. The zipties also keeps your fingers out of the way when raising the axle, so safety bonus! I have lifted a Cherokee, a Samurai, a Tracker, and a TJ. The rear end his van is by far the easiest thing I have ever lifted.

Now if I can just break loose the jam nuts on the front t-bars.....

My Van(s):

Before and After Lift Pictures

I did the double Mr. Gasket spacer lift (top and bottom of coils) and torsion bar tweak. Without changing the tires, I get 1.8" of lift (measured at the xfer case skid plate).

The lifted pic looks like it's taller in front but that is an optical illusion. The bottoms of the rocker panels are equal height off the ground at front and rear, so the body is level.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Re: Before and After Lift Pictures

Looks Great!

My Van(s):

Re: Before and After Lift Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    Looks Great!
    Thanks. Im going to install 215/75R15 tires on Samurai rims. That should lift it another inch or so.

My Van(s):

Re: Mr. Gasket Lift Tip

Ive noticed some people are using coil spring compressors to get the coils off. Those things are dangerous, hard to work with, and completely unnecessary to lift the rear end of a TV. The factory manual shows removing the two bolts that hold the sway bar rubber bushings, one on each side. Remove those and the axle can drop low enough that the coils just pull right out with no need to compress them. Very simple.
    Last edited by ShapeShifter; 10-12-2018 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Sway bar, not Track bar

My Van(s):

Pictures of 28" Mud Tires

I installed Hankook Dynapro MT 225/75/15 tires on 15" Samurai wheels. The lift is the same as I mention above. Just a little rubbing on the front corners as others have reported. I like the looks.