Thread: 96 Previa ECM rebuild recommendations???

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    looking for a Previa

96 Previa ECM rebuild recommendations???

HI ..

Just picked up a 96 Previa SC with all-track ... and it needs an ECM rebuild because it wont read the Bank 1, Sensor 1 O2 Sensor.

Any recommendations for a company or person rebuilding ECM's??

Let me know.

Thanks

Frank
    Richmond, KY

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Previa 1992 AWD ABS LE Lifted. Toyota previa 1991 rear wheel DX sold Toyota previa 1994 rear wheel non/SC LE sold Toyota previa 1991 rear wheel LE sold

Re: 96 Previa ECM rebuild recommendations???

Hey,

I haven't heard of rebuilding the ECM. The ECU rarely is a part that goes bad on these vehicles. However I recently Checked out an 1993 AWD vehicle that low and behold may have had a bad ECU, I couldn't pull up the engine light with the paper clip method e1 to te1. Your previa being a 96 (year of the nationally mandated OBD2) should have the OBD 2, probably not readable with paperclip method.. I had thought it was a possibility of a wiring issue.

On the subject of ECM I have however talked with an recently certified mechanic buddy extensively about putting an aftermarket ECU (engine control unite) also commonly referred to as an ECM (electronic control modular). He recommended finding a shop that is knowledgeable and has a dyno machine, establish a relationship with them and they may take on the project of putting in an after market ECM with different fuel maps or reprogramming one... I have not tried this (yet). My bud believes in claiming that it'll get better gas millage by as much as one to ten miles per gallon! Though i believe it'll be in the lesser realm of several miles per gallon better. Wont know till I try it ^ _ ^.

~ ; ~
    Last edited by previa tank; 12-17-2017 at 01:53 AM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa LE 92 Previa LE 95 Previa LE S/C 95 Previa LE S/C 96 Previa DX S/C

Re: 96 Previa ECM rebuild recommendations???

Just saw this on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-Toyota-...oAAOSw2IVbZJ~P

It is a $99 postage paid (out and back) ECU repair service. 100% positive feedback with 800 to 1000 reviews.
    Anxious to see if anyone has tried this.

I have had two ECU's go bad on me. One on a 2007 Corolla. We know it was not user induced as we were original owners. Toyota dealer replaced free under warranty saying he had a stack of them but the car was otherwise very reliable. It was generally the only part going bad on them. We still have the car at 140k miles and find that to be a true statement. So Toyota does occasionally make design/manufacturing errors.
    The other, a 89661-28352 in a 95 LESC RWD. I think it may have been damaged by me allowing the ECU to try to add oil from an empty oil reservoir for a couple years.

I substituted a -28351 (the previous version) successfully. Just started a thread on upcoming mods to allow me to use the next version, -28600 as an experiment. Our 96 DXSC rwd (-28600 ECU) has always had better response and more pep compared to the 95 LESC rwd (-28352 and now -28351). Having maintained both for about 350k combined miles led me to the belief that perhaps the -28600 ECU is better optimized for performance.
    Will report in that thread if it makes a difference.