Thread: Rear motor mount is the transfer case mount

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Rear motor mount is the transfer case mount

In case anyone ever wants to find the transfer case mount and bushing it is called the rear motor mount. My van (5spd) has been shuttering when starting off in first gear. I did not understand why. It was not until I recently changed the O2 sensors that I noticed that the rear motor mount bushing was completely deteriorated.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: Rear motor mount is the transfer case mount

Thank you for this. I figured it was my clutch but will take a looksy.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Re: Rear motor mount is the transfer case mount

Cool! Glad it helped. I saw one on rock auto for 40. But, I bought mine from Toyota. It comes as a whole unit, bracket and bushing.
    It took 45 minutes to replace. Just need a jack to lift up the transfer case about an inch. Then unbolt the single bolt (19mm socket and wrench) from the body. Lower the tcase a few inches for extra clearance and unbolt the 4x12mm bolts from the top of the bracket attached to the tcase. Then slide the bracket out from the back. Swap it out and rebolt.

It got rid of most of the shuttering. But my rear end has a Aussie locker. This prolly accounts for the slight residual shutter.