Thread: How does the cabin heat control work in Previa? Hot air even when lever on blue end

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Previa -96 Mercedes Benz 209D -90

How does the cabin heat control work in Previa? Hot air even when lever on blue end

Heya! Bought my first mid-engined sportscar last autumn and fell in love with it Meaning -96 Toyota Previa

Buut now that the Harsh Finnish winter is over, I do have one slight problem. Never mind that the aircon does not work, but for some reason the heater blows warm air to cabin even when I have the temperature selection lever all the way at cold end. Admittedly not as hot as when the lever is on the red end, but still.

Now there seems to be old-school adjustable valve under the bonnet aka hood, at the left side of the air intake box, but it does not move at all when heater lever is adjusted, which does not make sense, as there is difference in the temperature on the different ends of the lever adjustment.

Is there some clever system that adjusts the valve independent of the lever position, like thermostat controlled servo?

Any idea where I could find some sort of diagram of the heater unit structure? Explosion picture?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

Re: How does the cabin heat control work in Previa? Hot air even when lever on blue e

Just checked mine. When the cabin lever is at the Cold position the lever under the hood is at about the 10 o'clock position. When the cabin lever is Hot the lever under the hood is at about 8 o'clock. Maybe your cable is disconnected somewhere?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Previa -96 Mercedes Benz 209D -90

Re: How does the cabin heat control work in Previa? Hot air even when lever on blue e

Thank you Jonny for checking, much appreciated. These are so rare here that I don't even know where to find another Previa for reference :p

In my van there is no movement at the valve when lever is moved around. Gotta open up the dashboard and see where there is the disconnect.