Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windshield removal / replacement

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE

Re: Windshields and cracks

Thanks for all the input! I called multiple glass shops and everyone told me they couldn't find one. Safelite DID eventually locate one in AZ (I'm in Oregon) and with shipping it would've run around 550 installed. I had called Cascade glass in VAncouver, WA and they couldn't locate one, but I was still traveling in my van and on a lark i stopped into another Cascade shop in Boise, ID and the gal diligently searched, finding one both in Eugene, OR and Medford, OR. I believe the brand is Coach glass. Still, cost was $325 installed...(I was watching her search and the wholesale price was like $77.00)

Rockauto listed only ONE available and at a reasonable price ($112 or so) but another hundred to ship and another $125-$150 to get someone to install it and I was worried about it arriving cracked, after reading some horror stories.

I went with the Cascade one - guy came to my house and certainly seemed to do a great job. Had been doing auto glass for 24 years, he said...

When I had the first one replaced about 2-3 years ago it was $220 and no problem to find. I'm more worried about ever finding another one, much less paying for it which is why I'd love to avoid this problem again if possible. Last summer I had another rock chip and went in just a few hours to find a glass repair place, which saved it from cracking. Is it because the windshield is so upright so that the rocks hit with more force and that they crack so doggone easily? I've been driving for a heck of a lot of years and never had a windshield crack before this van...

I really, really love my van, but it's getting pretty expensive for someone like me who isn't capable of doing my own repairs. I dread the day when there's something I need that I just can't find...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE

Quote Originally Posted by luvJDMs View Post
    We replaced our full-height cracked windshield last weekend (8/4/2017). We live in the Washington D.C. area. During the previous two weeks the Safelite shop in Arlington, VA could not locate a windshield. During that time we found another auto glass shop in Lanham, MD (Auto Glass Now...apparently a national chain auto glass shop), who found an after-market windshield. The Auto Glass Now price was 50% less than what Safelite estimated, and with the same warranty - Auto Glass Now ($192) and Safelite ($390). The Safelite shop did call and said they found an after-market windshield, but we told them we no longer need one.

That said, if you still need a windshield try calling this shop directly at 703.236.4205 (instead of the national toll-free number) and ask for Steve, the shop manager.

Good luck with your windshield project.
    Wow - much less than I spent. I'm always so impatient to get stuff fixed. I should've asked here first. I was so worried about finding one too. I'll have to keep this info!!

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

If Safelite ask for more than that, ask why?
    Name:  Windshield receit.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  97.2 KB
    Not A bad brand either . I had some glass from Mexico once installed on my Mini, 6 months latter it was so pitted it was abrading the wiper blades. That glass was very soft. Beware of cheap aftermarket stuff.
    Name:  IMG_5325.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  58.9 KB
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE

interesting. I spoke to three different folks at safelite and was quoted three different prices. The first was about $325 but then he couldn't actually locate the glass! The third one who finally found it said that it would be an extra two hundred because it had to be shipped all the way from Az. I hated the way they were like car salesmen too.

Cascade said coach glass glass is still "approved" by the govt standards but they did call it oee instead of oem I believe. Hope I'm not screwed...

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Quote Originally Posted by jaders View Post
    I really, really love my van, but it's getting pretty expensive for someone like me who isn't capable of doing my own repairs. I dread the day when there's something I need that I just can't find...
    Glass is my biggest fear with my JDM van.
    Found em for $500, none in the Americas.

I've had bad luck with aftermarket China glass.
    Soft, chips, cracks...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4

Considering the quickly diminishing inventory of TV windshields (OEM, OEE, AM, etc.), has anyone ever tried a windshield protectant application, i.e. Opti-Glass, Diamond Fusion, or Bulletproof protectants?

Was thinking about trying Opti-glass; however, all seem to cost approximately $50-75 per bottle of needed protectant and have to be regularly applied to maintain a sufficient level of protection from elements and road wear.

Could be worthwhile if one of these products actually works, otherwise more flushing sounds.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE

Interesting. I'd certainly be willing to try anything to keep this windshield!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE

Was just reading about Opti-Glass. Sounds like it'd be worth trying. Might stop some of the rock chipping. I only use my van for camping/travel trips, so it would be easy to apply just before leaving and it should last the duration of a trip for me. It says you get lots of applications per bottle. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I'm willing to try anything...

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Re: Windshield removal / replacement

This thread seemed to come up the most when searching google so figured i’d post here.
    Anyone ever replace their own clips and install trim on the windshield? My windshield doesn’t need to be replaced, but prior to painting my van I pulled off the trim and discovered most of the clips were paritially broken/ trim looked to be held on with a mixture of road grime etc.
    Bought a new set of clips, and restored/painted the trim; just not sure how to go about removing the partially broken clips and install the trim.
    thanks Josh
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4wd

Re: Windshield removal / replacement

So i had asked some questions in this thread a long time ago but never posted my results. I ended uo having a windshield guy take my windshield off, left me to buff it clean and touch up some rust spots then came back and put the glass on w just some kind of caulk/black rubber paste. He said its used on Ferraris which have hand molded rubber trims. Apply and wet your thumb and smooth it out. I didn't need clips or trim and was left w a very nice black rubber trim. I would call around and ask if they know how to do a Ferrari trim as he said that is what it was called and used to do them in Beverly Hills. I don't have the van anymore else i would post pics. Looked a lot better than the roflroflroflroflty trim and never leaked.