Thread: Emissions failing...1986 LE Cargo Van

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE Cargo van

Emissions failing...1986 LE Cargo Van

1986 Automatic LE Cargo Van
    248,000 miles

*runs great, no noticeable oil leaks or coolant leaks, good power, etc. Overall zippy little van.

Test 1-
    Did not pass the Oregon DEQ Emissions test a few weeks ago. Hydrocarbons good, CO2 ok, CO BAD not by much though

Test 2-
    Changed oil, oil filter, plugs, cap, rotor.

Hydrocarbons get worse this time, 200 PPM to pass. i test at 240 PPM after plugs changed. CO reads too high still to pass...

I used autolite platinum AP64 (was this a mistake?) pulled out some double platinum autolite that were caked in white and tan residue. Wires looked to be in in good shape.

Test 3-
    FINALLY get the dang air filter changed, seated well, perfect fit...old one was pretty much dark black. go to testing site (had to idle for about 30 min in line) and my hydrocarbon PPM jumps to 538! CO is about twice as bad now!

Im not sure where to go from here and I'd really prefer to figure this out myself if possible.

Any help out there? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual dlx 1987 4x4 manual cargo 1987 2wd 5 speed 1986 2wd auto LE 1985 2wd 5 Speed LE

Re: Emissions failing...1986 LE Cargo Van

O2 sensor, timing, and throttle position sensor....any codes?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE Cargo van

no codes on this model and year...at least that I can tell. is there an input jack I'm missing?

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1984 A/T LE (PJvan) . . . . . . . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

HERE is where to find the service connector.

And HERE is what they mean.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1984 A/T LE; barely broken in with only 125K! ("PJvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 395K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE Cargo van

that is the craziest ECU I've ever seen wondering what those dead end plugs were for.

So I jumped the connecting as described and I get no check engine light at all... no off/on or codes popped up. tried a few different connectors to be sure paperclip, steel wire, copper. don't have spare test connector on hand, but can grab one if it really makes a difference

Also does the check engine need to be on in the first place in order to check these codes?

maybe a problem with the ECU itself?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual dlx 1987 4x4 manual cargo 1987 2wd 5 speed 1986 2wd auto LE 1985 2wd 5 Speed LE

if the engine light doesnt come on with key on not running, then the bulb could be out. if the O2 sensor is original, replace it with a denso brand.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE Cargo van

replaced o2 sensor and currently sitting in line at the deq...will let you guys know the results.

check engine bulb must be out, or a cut wire perhaps? no fuses are out and I get nothing when I put key to on mode... hopefully this'll do it.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE Cargo van

and we passed!

o2 must be been the big difference, thanks guys!

I did a quick search on here about changing the o2 out on an 86 automatic cargo. didn't find anything comprehensive, so I'll just list what I learned working on it here.

located on the drivers side right under the seat. get under van, find the exhaust pipe, catalytic converter, follow that line up to the block. o2 sensor is held on with 2 bolts, vertically aligned. mine as original and rusty so it to a but of penetrating spray and some serious wiggling to free up. also the wiring was hanging on by a thread so had to redo that as well. it wasn't too tough for a beginner and no jack required for me. 12mm ratchet for lower nut and 12mm combo wrench for top bolt, that one is a tight squeeze.
    Get The replacement in front of you and it'll be easy to find and replace. new one went on without a problem!