Thread: 1988 Space cruiser 2.0L 3Y post Head gasket issues Please Help :)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Space cruiser GL 1991 TownAce Royal Lounge

1988 Space cruiser 2.0L 3Y post Head gasket issues Please Help :)

Hello To you all here,
    This is my first thread (and post) on this forum so i'd just like to introduce myself and my vans;
    2 years ago i bought my first 1991 Townace import after somehow almost never knowing these beautiful vehicles even existed!
    Since then you could say they have one my affection and i now found myself the owner of not only a townace but also a space cruiser i couldn't resist purchasing 5 months ago ( while the townace was of the road for brake repairs i wasnt sure id be able to fix)
    2 months ago the Head gasket went on the Cruiser after me not understanding the nature of these vehicles which i now am begining to understand..
    Luckily i managed to prevent too much severe damage and have had the head skimmed and replaced and at the same time a new waterpump and thermostat on recommendation of the garage.

Now, heres the part i'm hoping you can help me with (the first of many questions i'll have i'm sure!) ;

When the head went and the van overheated severely ( it was very hot under there!) a little plastic part that was attatched to a metal threaded body which screwd into the top casing on the engine (around the 2nd cyclinder) melted and is no longer attatched to the part that screws into the rocker casing?
    It seems this is some sort of vacuum sensor or something? Whilst its un-attatched you can see the internals there are some small holes and you can hear it sort of 'breathing out'. The plastic thats melted off has a few rubber pipes leading to the airbox and something else? ( i dont have the van in my posession at the momemt as it is back at the garage because i didnt feel it was running correctly so i took it back to them and asked them to investigate)
    I can only assume this is some sort of vacuum that helps to regulate something with the carb because when i got it back it was idling badly, spluttering and not sweet. the revs would seem too low and it seemd to struggle to be happy until warm. But the car drove fine at speed and doesnt misfire or anything it just seemed to be an idling problem.

The garage returned the van to me and said they didnt feel this part was essential after they were not able to source a replacement. They had done compression tests to check the head and they were happy with all of that.

However the car was not how it was pre-head; it ran lovely before and idled well and drove smoothly hence why i was willing to spend the 1000 to repair it!

So basically my question to you is; what is this part? What is it called and what does it do? Does anybody know where i might be able to get one? Ive spent hours researching into this and i cant seem to find a single picture of one of these engines with this particular part on it ( it seems some dont have this at all?!) I'm not a particularly learned in these machines but im starting to understand more and more as i own them but this is proving very difficult for me to locate and find info on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    And nice to be here..
    Sharn in Nottingham, England

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: 1988 Space cruiser 2.0L 3Y post Head gasket issues Please Help :)

Can anybody help me here?
    Even if only to inform me that my questioned was not posed very well or that some other information may be needed?

Ive tried very hard to search in every way i could imagine the internet to find out even what to call this sensor/regulator/valve??
    I would be pushed to tried to describe it as a engine outlet breather sensor/regulator valve?! But searching that doesnt get me anywhere..

Unfortunatly i cant take any pictures as the cvar is in the garage in my home town and i work away.

Any sort of response would be appreciated

Regards,
    Sharn

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual dlx 1987 4x4 manual cargo 1987 2wd 5 speed 1986 2wd auto LE 1985 2wd 5 Speed LE

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  92.2 KB

not sure if your van is the same as ours but here is a really helpful diagram pulled from this site, a thread called 'whats this vsv do?' vacuum switching valve...
    Last edited by boogieman; 11-29-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Hi,
    Thankyou for your response.. I had found this diagram but was not sure exactly which part i was looking at because i was not sure of the orientastion of this part - the 'Bi-Metal VSV'.. is this part located screwed into the top of the engine around the 2nd cylinder?

I do not have access to the vehicle as it is in the garage back home having the inlet manifold and gasket replaced as it has been realised that this was corroded and blowing whilst the head gasket was being done.

I have searched high and low but i cannot find a single real-life picture of this part on the engine. Can anybody provide a real picture so i can confirm that this is indeed the part i am refering to?

Also could you please explain exactly what this vacuum actually does? And the effects that may occurr if it was dettatched? Would it cause lumpy inconsistant idling? Is it essential and could it cause actual problems rather than just un-stable idling?

All help is gratefully accepted

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual dlx 1987 4x4 manual cargo 1987 2wd 5 speed 1986 2wd auto LE 1985 2wd 5 Speed LE

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...tached-diagram

try searching the site with google it works better..heres the thread, i believe everything you want to know is contained in it..cylinders are counted from front to back. you mention carb in your 1st post, youre van is fuel injected right?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

EDIT:

Somehow i re-posted the previous response??
    Not sure what i did there..
    Last edited by Sharn; 12-08-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE

Hi

I show here under a picture of my 3Y engine, which upper half of air-intake removed.

You may show the part that wrong, may others can tell you what it is and may it causes your problem.

The Bimetal VSV is in the red circle - is that the one you mentioned?

Name:  Bimetal VSV.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  99.0 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE

Sharn

It seem you have a broken breath hose. It lead the blow air from the engine crank case into the air intake manifold. If this hole is open, you may feel it breath out every stroke of the engine.

As I understand, it has no any sensor or vaccumm there, then all you have to do is re-connect it for lead the air blow into the air intake, no more.

Hope it can help.

ND San

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Here are two images of the part in question that the garage has taken for me and sent via e-mail
    They are not the best photos i dont think - but maybe somebody can identify this part from them??
    Thank you again for your help
    Regards,
    Sharn

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE

Dear Sharn

It does look like the bimetal VSV, just it's location is a little bit difference with normal position on other engine. You can see it on my picture: it located below the water neck, and it submerge into cooling water tank.

From my understanding, this is not very important to you engine, as long as you keep the 2 hoses closed and not to leak vaccunm into the intake system. Because it just work as a triger valve to open or close the EGR system, which take some exhaust gas into air intake to cool down the temp inside combustion chamber and lower the NOx in exhaust gas.

In our form, Tan Van has some information on where to get a new one and and how to get. You can read it for more info.
    http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...EM-90925-05047

Regards,

NDS
    Last edited by Toyvan85; 12-10-2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: more info about Tan Van post