Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Aftermarket Gauges — Tachometer, Engine Temp, Tranny Temp, Oil Pressure

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Re: aftermarket temperature sensor

I recently installed an Engine Guardian gauge/sensor in my van. It came with a traditional coolant temp sensor, and two sensor leads that bolt to the block. I just used one of the bolt-on sensors attached to the coolant inlet, and the setup seems to work great. Gives me a very accurate view of engine temperature, and once I figured out what the average running temp range was, I set alarms to warn me if it goes above that range. It also has a purchase option that comes with relays, for activating fans at set temperatures. Really easy to install. Might cost a bit more than the other options you were looking at though.

http://www.carsensors.com/Engine_Guardian.html

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

wow that is a bit more pricey than i was looking at.....when you say its bolt on does that mean it senses the temperature of the outside of the block, or is it a probe that goes into the coolant?

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Correct. It senses the block temperature, although it does come with a coolant sensor probe (not sure how that would adapt to the Toyota engine's ports though). As far as I can tell, a block sensor gives you an accurate picture of what is going on with your motor. Maybe more so than a coolant sensor (for instance, not sure how accurate a probe is if you are low on coolant or have lost it all for some reason). But for whatever reason, they come with a high price tag. There could be cheaper versions I'm unaware of. The first I saw was the Engine Watchdog, popular with 4WD enthusiasts and truckers, made in Australia. http://enginewatchdog.com/ But it isn't cheap either.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 van wagon

Oil pressure

My oil light was intermittently coming on so I installed a oil pressure gauge. my oil pressure is around 60 while driving and goes down to 12 when warm and idling. Just wondering what pressure other people have on their vans especially at idle It's a 4ye. thinking about going with a little thicker oil I think my main bearings might be a little tired. Right now I'm running 10w30 thanks for any input.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Oil pressure

Benji - the oil gauge on your dash is merely a guide, it was never meant to be as precise as people expect.
    Senders are notorious for displaying lower pressure at idle and its not uncommon, as they age, for them to start displaying zero at idle.

If you have 12lbs at idle with a mechanical gauge, all is good.
    Thicker oil can bridge a wear gap but it can also cause starvation in other parts that aren't as worn.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 van wagon

Thanks for the reply. My van has no factory oil gauge just a light. I ran a new wire from light to sender that took care of the light coming on and off. Since I was already running that wire I ran a oil gauge sender wire and installed a electronic gauge. I don't like mechanical gauges oil going into my van one more place for oil to leak. When I was young I had a mechanical gauge blow out on me oil all over the dash and floor. Anyone out there run a little thicker oil to help take care of a little bit of a tired engine. I would pull the motor and rebuild it but my Datsun 510 is getting that treatment right now. My van is my daily to work. Thanks again for reply good to know oil pressure at idle is ok.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

I hear ya on the oil explosion thing, btdt, what a mess.

On DX vans (those without a Tach) the "oil" light actually serves 2 purposes, the "pressure" sender AND the level sender activate the same light.
    If you physically ran a new wire from the PS switch to the instrument pack you may have inadvertently disconnected the level sensor.
    If it was the level sensor portion of the circuit that was activating the light, that could explain why it doesn't any more.
    Those level sensors can fail, causing a false warning, but might be a good idea to check the level, just the same.

The search function can provide all the answers you seek regarding discussion on oil types and ratings.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 van wagon

Interesting I didn't know about any vehicles from the 80's or before had a oil level sensor. I tied into the oil light at the consol and the other end to the oil pressure senser. Comes on prestart and goes off ounce started. Before I reworded the light it would come on sometimes even if the oil was topped off. Just out of curiosity where would the oil level senser be located. I do like having a gauge I feel like it is a much more solid way of knowing if there is a problem especially since this old van is a little tired.thanks for the info

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Oil level sensor is mounted through the left(driver)side of the oil pan and they are frequently unreliable. It's wiring is incorporated into the alternator harness. One of my vans has a jumper wire in the chassis connector that was there when I got the van the other goes on and off when it feels like it. My Mitsubishi van does the same thing. There's a few threads where this is discussed in some detail. I'm of the same opinion as Burntboot on the oil pressure. 12# is at warm idle is plenty. The oil only needs to be flowing through the engine at idle Most idiot light switches open and close around 4psi.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Installing Oil Pressure Gauge - Which fuse to tap into for light?

Hi All -
    I'm installing a new mechanical oil pressure gauge this weekend and want to tap into the correct fuse so it lights up when I turn on the headlights / dash lights - would love some insight on which would be best to use. I was going to do the headlights, but was thinking this may have continuous power and is actually not good choice? Any help would be appreciated! EDIT - it's a 12V gauge light.

Name:  fusebox.4_ed.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  69.4 KB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Installing Oil Pressure Gauge - Which fuse to tap into for light?

If you want the gauge to illuminate when you turn on the lights and you want to access that power from the fuse box, then tying into the tail lamp circuit might be the easiest solution.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    If you want the gauge to illuminate when you turn on the lights and you want to access that power from the fuse box, then tying into the tail lamp circuit might be the easiest solution.
    Great - thank you. I'll give it a shot, otherwise I was just going to go into the cig and have it lit all the time.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Just found this photo - for anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future - this should help... Name:  Fuse_Description.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  79.5 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 van wagon

I just did an electronic op gauge I used add a circuit basically gives you a wire off an existing fuse then you get another wire coming off it with a dedicated fuse fast and easy and if you ever want it gone or it dies on you pull the fuse and it will be just how it was.cost $5

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by Benjie View Post
    I just did an electronic op gauge I used add a circuit basically gives you a wire off an existing fuse then you get another wire coming off it with a dedicated fuse fast and easy and if you ever want it gone or it dies on you pull the fuse and it will be just how it was.cost $5
    Yep - that's the plan. Which fuse did you use?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 van wagon

I used the ignition fuse but I wanted mine lit up all the time I. The ignition fuse slot was better with the add a fuse because the fuse slot below it is empty more room for it. Don't know what kind of gauge you got but mine came with an extra wire on it to tie into the dash lights so if you want it will dim with the dash dimmer wheel.Name:  IMG_3254.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  88.6 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 van wagon

Here's a pic lit upName:  IMG_1376.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  92.2 KB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Benjie View Post
    I had a mechanical gauge blow out on me oil all over the dash and floor. Anyone out there run a little thicker oil to help take care of a little bit of a tired engine. I would pull the motor and rebuild it but my Datsun 510 is getting that treatment right now
    Plastic line? I've seen that many times.
    I have steel braided lines to the gauge in my 510 .
    I use higher viscosity oil on old motors.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 van wagon

Yeh it was a plastic line the gauge was in it when I bought it. I prefer the electronic.
    Last edited by llamavan; 11-02-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: off-topic / hijacking

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Hey can anyone tell me where the sender for the oil pressure is on the engine so I can put a mechanical gauge on it?

Thanks

21. 02-24-2018, 11:23 PM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

22. 02-25-2018, 04:59 AM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking