Thread: Van not starting, no check engine light or codes.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4

Van not starting, no check engine light or codes.

Thank you all for all the valuable information on this forum. It has helped me to get my 1989 4x4 van running. I've tried to track down answers to my problem and for the first time, haven't been able to come up with anything for my current issue so here goes...

A few weeks ago, we took the van out and it seemed to be running well. After parking, it would not start. It cranks but won't start. We had it towed home and I got a chance this weekend to try to figure out what was going on.

I started by checking codes and it seems the check engine light isn't functional so the codes won't show. I've tried searching to forum for this issue and have tried the following based on other posts:

I took the dash apart and swapped the CEL bulb with the fuel light (which was functional). The fuel light still works and the CEL still doesn't when I turn the key to the on position. I tried a new bulb in for the CEL and it still won't turn on when the ignition is turned to the on position. I had replaced all the dash lights with LEDs and they were all functional after that. I also reversed the bulb to see if the CEL may have been in backward and that didn't change anything.

I pulled the connector for the ecu and checked continuity with the engine code connector to see if the wiring was the issue. (Reference Post #3 from http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...gnition+timing) It showed continuity when the code connector was jumped and not when the jumper wire was removed so the wiring to the check engine connector seems fine.

I pulled the EFI fuse and it looks good and shows continuity.

Does anyone know what might cause the check engine light to not function? Could a bad ECU make it non-functional even when the ignition is turned to the on position? This is the only thing that seems to make sense from my research.

Here are all of the things I've done on the van since owning it if this helps to diagnose the problem(s).

new alternatornew battery
    new fuel pump
    new radiator cap
    new fuel cap
    cleaned throttle body

new TPS
    new vacuum and water hoses to throttle body

New Spark Plugs

New Spark Plug Wires
    New Water Pump and Gasket
    New Lower Radiator Hose
    New Fan Clutch
    Cooling System Flush and new coolant
    New Power Steering Pump O-Ring
    New Belts
    New Front O2 Sensor
    new LED Dash lights

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me on tracking down my problem(s).

2. 01-28-2018, 07:56 PM

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

Re: Van not starting, no check engine light or codes.

suddenly "cranking-but-not-starting" was an issue I tracked down to a fusible link once, years ago. Might be worth looking there. see The-fusible-link-thread ??

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Van View Post
    suddenly "cranking-but-not-starting" was an issue I tracked down to a fusible link once, years ago. Might be worth looking there. see The-fusible-link-thread ??
    Thanks Tan Van. I've replaced the 1.25B fusible link about a year ago but I'll check all of them this weekend. Fingers Crossed.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE

You should check the fuel pump working: is it work whenever you start the engine?

1. You can check by short the jumper in compartment under driver seat like under picture. If you can hear the pump sound while working after connect the wire, it goods. If you can not hear the sound (in silent area), even you did replace the pump, you should check the voltage on the wire connector next to the fuel tank (you have to get under the Van and use a Voltmeter) - and so on... until you make sure the fuel pump work well when you start the engine or when you connect the wire into connector.
    2. If the pump work well, you should check the spark plugs by get out the spark No 1 (or any one), put it into the socket at the end of the plug wire, ground the outer metal part of the spark plug with a wire, then start the engine and look at the tip of the spark plug. If you see a blue, fat fire, it work. If not, you have to check the ignition system until there is the strong fire (spark) on the tip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 7PSI

Quote Originally Posted by greerkj View Post
    Does anyone know what might cause the check engine light to not function?

Key on engine off (KOEO), the check engine light (CEL) should light up. If it doesn't it is either a power to the ECU issue, or the ECU is bad.

Using the factory service manual (FSM) find all power and grounds going directly to the ECU (under the seat belt panel driver's side). Make sure all have power and ground during KOEO. If they don't, figure out why. If the ECU does have power and the CEL is still off in KOEO then use the FSM to find the CEL wire directly at the ECU connector. With the KOEO test to see if there is power on this wire. If there is power then the light is "on" and the circuit is broken between there and the dash bulb. If there is no power on the CEL wire the likely issue is a bad ECU.

In some situations, when an ECU goes bad, it will cause a no start condition. In other cases, it just causes runability problems.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4

I checked power and it seems the ECU is getting power. I bought a new ECU and screwed up the part number. My van is a 1989 4wd LE and the old ECU was 89661-28081. I accidentally ordered the 89661-28091. From my research it seams that the 28091 is for the California vans. I tried the new ECU and it didn't work. Does anyone know if these 2 should be interchangeable. If not, anyone need an ECU part no. 89661-28091?

I'll keep looking and post if I figure out what's wrong. Thanks to everyone for your help so far.