Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LED Headlights ... and troubleshooting problems after install

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: LED Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Jbbishop2 View Post
    (the line across is a crack in the windshield, and the silhouette is the Scooby Doo on the dash)............
    Okay, glad you said that. At 1st I was like "This has got to be photoshop because there's no way a cat would be patient enough to sit in the same exact spot while replacing headlights" LOL. But now I can totally see it's a Scooby head . How long have you been driving with these? I'm interested in knowing if oncoming drivers flash their brights. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

I really want to upgrade the headlights on my townace but it has a different lens then the US model. Do you think its possible to just replace the bulb in the original lens? I've seen plenty of LED bulb kits on amazon, (the little corncob LED array that is supposed to fit where the regular bulb went.

I hate having weak headlights, I want the crew of the ISS to see my driving on the 405 from space!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    How long have you been driving with these? I'm interested in knowing if oncoming drivers flash their brights. Tim
    Just last night, so far, a 30-mile commute on a busy two-lane rural highway. No oncoming flashes yet, not any high/low signaling from cars in front of me in my lane, either. When I pull up behind other cars at a light, even little low ones, I can see the top of the cutoff of my low beams below their rear window. That seems to make sense from the description of the ECE headlights (the Hella conversions are ECE-compliant) vs the US standard (from Wikipedia):
    The international ECE Regulations for filament headlamps[19] and for high-intensity discharge headlamps[20] specify a beam with a sharp, asymmetric cutoff preventing significant amounts of light from being cast into the eyes of drivers of preceding or oncoming cars. Control of glare is less strict in the North American SAE beam standard contained in FMVSS / CMVSS 108.[21]

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrippler View Post
    Do you think its possible to just replace the bulb in the original lens?
    Unfortunately, no, unless you have a way to cut a hole in the glass, and then you'd have to epoxy the receptacle to the glass (a trick that's possible with some old motorcycle round headlights). The back of the sealed-beam unit only has the individual leads for the bulb terminals coming out (photo below)

You might want to replace the old ones with the Sylvania units that are brighter tan the standard ones, The H4651 for the inner (high beam only) units and the H4656 for the outer (low.high) (https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Silv...000C1A1V0?th=1) . I used some like these on my ’85 Toyoa pickup, and they were definitely an improvement over the old ones. As I said above, the reflectors in my old units aren’t reflecting very much (see second picture below), so even if you could get a new bulb in there it wouldn't be like new.
    Name:  SealedBeamRear.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  99.2 KB
    Name:  sealedbeaminside.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  83.0 KB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Looks like it could be modified carefully but I'd be a little worried about the pattern/focus.

Maybe worth a try?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrippler View Post
    Maybe worth a try?
    I wouldn’t want to discourage anybody from a cool DIY project, but with the degradation of the reflective surface (and like you say, the pattern/focus being set up for a completely different bulb), I’d think the chances of success would be kind of low. With the cost of four standard sealed beam replacements that would at least have new reflectors being about $30 (and four upgraded sealed beams being about $90) maybe it’s not worth your time.

Unless it’s just fun, of course. Maybe try cutting out on an old sealed beam unit and then buy a cheap standard new sealed beam to make the finished product sine the reflective surface would be new?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Jbbishop2 View Post
    Unfortunately, no, unless you have a way to cut a hole in the glass, and then you'd have to epoxy the receptacle to the glass (a trick that's possible with some old motorcycle round headlights). The back of the sealed-beam unit only has the individual leads for the bulb terminals coming out (photo below)

You might want to replace the old ones with the Sylvania units that are brighter tan the standard ones, The H4651 for the inner (high beam only) units and the H4656 for the outer (low.high) (https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Silv...000C1A1V0?th=1) . I used some like these on my ’85 Toyoa pickup, and they were definitely an improvement over the old ones. As I said above, the reflectors in my old units aren’t reflecting very much (see second picture below), so even if you could get a new bulb in there it wouldn't be like new.
    So it looks like the townace has pretty different headlights. I still haven't pulled mine apart but I found some pictures of the same part. Looks like its just a bulb on the townace? Is the big rubber gasket where the hi and low go? 2 bulbs one lens? I've never taken anything like this apart so not very familiar. I'd be pretty happy if I could just plug a fat LED corncob in there though.

Name:  townace_headlight.JPG
Views: 878
Size:  30.1 KBName:  townace_headlight_back.JPG
Views: 866
Size:  29.9 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

>So it looks like the townace has pretty different headlights.

Sorry, I wasn't smart enough to catch that we weren't talking about the same vans!

> Is the big rubber gasket where the hi and low go?

The rubber gasket in the photo pulls off the back to reveal the clip that holds the hi/lo bulb. You can certainly try replacing that bulb with an LED version, or with a brighter version of the halogen bulb like the Philips X-treme Vision.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

There's only 1 bulb in there behind the rubber gasket, here's a close up of a spare that I have check it out-

1) remove rubber gasket
    2) push down and slide metal paper clip looking holder
    3) pull bulb out

good luck

JDM
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Just ordered some LEDS. I'll post some pictures when i get them installed.

How do you remove the light from the townace? Is it the bolts on the inside then pull the assembly off the front?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

You can replace the bulbs by going in from the inside by the passenger feet and right about the accelerator pedal, you don't need to take the whole assembly out to change the bulb.

Check it out-

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Quick question, anyone had trouble and/or solution to headlight trim rings (things that hold the headlight in from falling out)when they are just a little too small to fit over a 4"x6" light? Working on installing some LEDs from Octain Lighting and it seems like I need to grow the rings 1/16-1/8" in height and depth? Wouldn't trust my self trying to tack weld a piece in since the gauge is so thin, maybe pop rivot in an extension? Already tried stretching it, but no luck.
    For some reason file uploads from phone keep failing, I update w/pic once I'm at work.
    thanks

edit:Name:  trimring.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  57.3 KB
    Last edited by bikerjosh; 02-09-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: pic add
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 TV 2wd M/T 87 4x4 LE A/T

Headlight trouble shooting

When I purchased my van the headlight relay connection was burnt out. A mechanic 'fixed' it for me. But when I drove home I realized only the brights worked. Then they 'fixed' it again and only the low beams worked.

Now I'm attempting to upgrade my low beams to the LED mentioned by some members here in the forum. But no matter the wiring configuration on the male end of the new LED lamp, the lamp only comes on on Hi beam mode. All 15 lights vs 5 lights (low beam mode).

I don't understand enough how the hi and low beam works in order to trouble shoot this. I'm fairly sure it has to do with what the mechanic did previously.

my low beam currently has a 3 prong adapter and hi beam 2.

when I put the ground in the left port and the red in the lower port I get all 15 lights. Any other configuration I get none.

how can I trouble shoot this?

Id like to be able to drive with the low beam setting on.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Headlight trouble shooting

The problem with non-original equipment is it can induce unexpected variables and behaviours.

The quickest repair would involve reinstalling known good OEM lamps, then correct the wiring.
    The wiring could be the hard part as you don't know what they did,hopefully their hacks will be obvious and the first thing to correct.
    Then you can move onto correcting whatever the original fault was caused by.

Once everything is back to what it should be, then go ahead and upgrade the lamps.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 TV 2wd M/T 87 4x4 LE A/T

Re: Headlight trouble shooting

That's good advice. Thanks

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

Fog light/headlight wiring issues

So I put new LED headlights in and now my fog lights aren't getting any volts to them, but the switch is fine. I suspect it has something to do with the headlight circuit and how the new headlights function. It took some figuring out to get the LEDs to function in the same way the stock headlights work as in the low beams staying on when you switch to high beams. I have that part figured out the best I can. I haven't altered the stock headlight harness at all, just re-pinning the LED headlights. When just the low beams are on, the high beams are receiving very minimal voltage, so they are lit but not enough to really tell. I think without the LEDs being dual filament as in the stock sealed beams is throwing something off in the circuitry and causing the fog lights not to receive voltage since the car is seeing slight voltage to the high beams. Any thoughts?

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Re: Fog light/headlight wiring issues

I just installed some LEDs too. I'm not satisfied with the electrical portion of it though. I read the schematic and LEDs really aren't compatible out of the box. The van headlights have a single power wire and negative switched high and low beam. This is backward from how the LEDs are wired. In addition the high beam indicator and fog light relay require a positive signal backtracking from the headlight filament for power. LEDs do not provide the resistance necessary to light the incandescent dash bulb, or trigger the fog light relay. I'm planning to install 4 relays, one for each bulb (behind the dash) to swap the negative to positive and provide the proper positive power to the high and low beam, dash bulb and fog light wire.

I'm pretty sure this is why your fog lights don't work.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by VanCo View Post
    I just installed some LEDs too. I'm not satisfied with the electrical portion of it though. I read the schematic and LEDs really aren't compatible out of the box. The van headlights have a single power wire and negative switched high and low beam. This is backward from how the LEDs are wired. In addition the high beam indicator and fog light relay require a positive signal backtracking from the headlight filament for power. LEDs do not provide the resistance necessary to light the incandescent dash bulb, or trigger the fog light relay. I'm planning to install 4 relays, one for each bulb (behind the dash) to swap the negative to positive and provide the proper positive power to the high and low beam, dash bulb and fog light wire.

I'm pretty sure this is why your fog lights don't work.
    The best I made it work with the stock wiring is:
    1: Fog lights on all the time, the fog light switch also controls the low beams on or off, everything works as normal if you leave the fog lights on. If you turn the fog light switch off you lose low beams and fogs.
    2: No fog lights at all, and high + low beam function as normal.

I think #2 is the best option and I’ll simply create a dedicated, related circuit for the fog lights. I don’t want to alter the stock wiring at all because I’m not great with wiring and these vans are already plagued with wiring issues.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

To avoid electrical issues either the incandescent headlights should be put back in, or the wiring should be modified to send the proper voltage and signals to the LED headlights. The way the headlights are hooked up now is the definition of a "wiring issue."

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd