Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Won't idle when cold

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Re: Won't idle when cold

The one on eBay was an auction and was at around $30-40 when i bid on it with 30 seconds left. I bid it all the way up to $120-130 and still couldn't secure the max bid before the auction ended. I think someone had already set a really high max bid or had a bidding bot.... anyway it ended up going for almost $160. Not too bad I suppose for being probably the last brand new part in existence, but still more than I was wiling to pay, lol.

the hose won't fit those bends - I'm battling that issue right now. it kinks up badly. let me know how you end up figuring it out!

my aux valve MIGHT be okay, since i don't have to play the e-brake/gas game at stops like you do. it only happens on the initial warm up in winter. Even then it usually manages to stay just high enough to idle without dying, but it takes it a while to warm up as a result (unless i give it a little help, lol)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, I had a snipe bid of $150.01 on it. The snipe site I use is supposed to go max bid within the last 7 or 8 seconds of the auction. When I set my max price there was 7 hrs left with 2 bids and price was at ~$26. When I got home that night I was actually surprised to learn I wasn't the winner . I guess I screwed up earlier by telling somebody to go search eBay for one. Lol. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Yeah that was me, but i didn't get it either

Maybe someone here did! Whoever it was.... i will find you

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, it was Hammervan. He mentioned it post #20 this thread. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

LOL, yup it was me that won that eBay auction. I figured anyone else that wanted it was probably on this forum but I didn't realize the competition was so fierce! I actually placed my bid before I saw this thread, so you can't blame me for whipping up the frenzy! My max bid was Toyota's original retail price since I figured that's what I would have had to pay if it was still available, and if I didn't get it I wasn't sure what I would do. I actually thought about bidding way more just to make sure! Obviously I need to get more high tech to ward off the snipers! It gets cold here in SLC so I'm excited to have a van that idles in the winter.
    I got a few shaped hoses from the local auto parts store that should work. One is a 1/2" hose which is a bit snug but should get the job done.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

This guy on eBay still has 2 left http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Injecti...JZJcHF&vxp=mtr, but I just can't bring myself to pay $285 for one. I would go $150, but any more, I'd rather take my chances with a good used one (I still have a few of those laying around). Glad I got all the molded rubber hoses when I did (now that they're like hen's teeth). It's a bummer when these type parts become NLA. I really wish I would have purchased a few more sets back when you could still get them. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

If that part was easier to get to I might have tried a junk yard one. The Dayco 80393 hose cut to fit will work to replace the NLA hoses (22233-73010, 22236-73011, 22237-73010), it's a bit snug (1/2" vs the 14 mm nipples). It's about a third of the price at Rockauto than my LPS, wish I'd found it there first:
    http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....960801&jsn=259

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Awesome! This is exactly the kind of information that makes forums worth while. FWIW, i thought these were 14mm, but didn't have one handy to measure. For vacuum, being a bit snug is better than being loose (no hose clamps needed). I just purchased a few of those for future projects. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    FWIW, i thought these were 14mm, but didn't have one handy to measure. Tim
    Oops! I mentioned the standard to metric difference in a different thread where this topic was recently discussed but incorrectly said they were 12mm. My only issue with the stretch fit was out of concern that they may split as they dry out and shrink from the heat. Of course I had alternate options at the dealer several years ago when I did my HG. I suppose it's a moo point now.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Oh man, thanks Hammervan! I was about to just put the OEM's back on and try my luck. They were in decent shape but definitely older. I just ordered 3 sections of the Dayco 80393 hose that you linked to replace the 3 sections with the sharp bends.

BTW im in SLC too, so I'm going to hunt you down for taking my aux air valve

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

Oh man, when my aux air valve suddenly disappears from my van, I'll know who took it, mistershmi! I'll keep my eyes peeled for your van, I see a few still running around Salt Lake but they all seem to be 2WD. Glad the hose info was helpful.
    Of course, now that I've replaced the hoses on the aux. air valve, including the 8 mm coolant hose, I've now noticed Tim's mention in another thread that it's best to use the original Toyota spring clamps and genuine Toyota hose for the coolant line. I used the same 5/16 fuel line hose and regular hose clamps like I did on my Hose of Death. Not sure if it's worth putting the original hose back on before I put it all together...
    Last edited by Hammervan; 06-21-2017 at 02:27 PM.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    This guy on eBay still has 2 left http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Injecti...JZJcHF&vxp=mtr, but I just can't bring myself to pay $285 for one. Tim
    Just a heads up. I just tried to buy one of these with some expendable cash I had, to save myself tracking one down later if the part ever fails on my van, and they had to refund my money. They don't actually have them in stock and had to go to the dealer where they learned they were NLA. Said he would be removing the auction listing.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Back when I used to sell there eBay required sellers to have physical possession of items before listing them. I guess that must have changed. I've purchased things from eBay before only to receive things drop-shipped from other locations. Next time I needed them I went right to the company who drop shipped and saved some money. I guess there's nothing wrong with sellers doing that as long as item arrives in a timely manner........just seems a bit fishy though. Glad you got your money back. Tim

PS: Funny how van parts just disappear from existence without warning. With the prices Toyota was asking I figured they'd be around for a long time. Tim