Thread: Squeaking suspension - where to start?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Squeaking suspension - where to start?

I picked up an 89 RWD 5-speed van a few months ago and have been working through all the minor problems. The shocks were on their way out and it was making a noise that I thought was the right front shock binding as the car went over bounces. I didn't have a garage at the time so I had a mechanic put in KYB shocks all the way around and told him I was going on a long trip and wanted him to inspect everything down there. He said the ball joints were a little worn but not in danger of going out and everything looked ok. He didn't seem to like working on the van, though, so he may not have looked very hard. It was fine for a few days then started squeaking worse than before! It comes and goes now - it will either make no noise, or it will make it with every bump no matter how small. It seems to do it less when it's wet out, but that's hard to say.

Should I start replacing bushings or is there something else I should be looking at? Where would I even get a bushing set? The van has 210k miles and everything feels like it's working properly. I don't think much if anything has been done to the suspension other than the shocks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Squeaking suspension - where to start?

There are several places it could be squeaking from, but the most common spot is the upper A-arm bushings. The rubber up here gets dry and makes noise. Unfortunately the RWD vans don't have grease zerks here (or even a place to put them) so lubing them up is not easy. All I could suggest is to get a can or 2 of silicone spray lube and spray a ton of it up, in, and around these bushings. Use the little red tube to get it in as far as possible. You should also get your sway bar bushings while you're at it. This might not work at 1st, but give it a day or 2 to penetrate in. Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4wd

Does anybody have a recommendation for front sway bar bushing replacement? Are there any better options out than original? Part number 48815 in the diagram at the link is what im looking for. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...ssembly=506260

Also looks like rock auto has some. But im confused because when i search for my 89 4wd it brings up several options. One is marked 4wd specific and looks a bit different. Is that what I need?

Thanks mike

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

The 4WD specific listing on RockAuto under '89 van is for the sway bar end to lower control arm. It's #48811A in you're linked diagram. The ACDelco #45G0582 has an application chart if you click the info button showing '84-'89 fitment with no notes for 2 or 4WD and the Moog #K90531 shows an alternate part # matching the one from your linked diagram.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4wd

Okay that makes sense. Do you know by chance if these should fit very snug around the bar. Because mine currently have quite a bit of play. And i suspect this to be the source of the loud knocking i hear over bumps.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

My understanding is they should be snug around the bar.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Hey Tim:

I am having the same issue with squeaks with my rubber bushings. They are tight just dried out.
    I had a local guy tell me to saturate the rubber with AT 205 rubber sealant. He said it is used to penetrate the rubber and swell the rubber. He said it would last a long time and will not collect dirt and rejects water.
    You hear anything about that?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I know there are things that will make rubber swell-up. They do that by chemically attacking the rubber. It is actually making it weaker, but if it's contained (as it is inside the bushings) it might be okay. If the rubber is already worn out, then I guess you don't have much to lose. I'm sure there's varying degrees you can affect the rubber and some products that offer this might be more acceptable then others. I'm not a chemist, so I don't know what you can expect from that particular product. If you use it, please let us know your results. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

regarding stabilizer bar bushings---you can get great Rock Auto deals on bushings and end links......pay attention to 2WD vs. 4WD ...additionally, use cooking oil in the bushings not motor oil ... the fit should be nice and snug, and, when the frame bushings are worn out, ... it can be a source of "clunking".Name:  IMG_6445.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  80.7 KB