Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaky suspension

My Van(s):
    1992 Previa Alltrac "Ginger" (265K)

Squeaky suspension

My 86 CRG Van has a super squeaky suspension and I'm going nuts. It has leaf springs in the rear, they don't make that much noise. But the front is LOUD. Cornering, bumps, getting in and out. Any change and it makes noise. And it's bouncy as hell. I'm gonna lift the torsion bars today to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

My Van(s):
    '89 DLX 5spd 4wd

Re: Squeaky suspension

how old are your shocks?
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

~Chris

'89 Toyota 4wd Van 5spd: rusty, leaks, and makes odd noises but is the best work vehicle I've had so far
    '89 F250 4wd utility bed: my other work truck
    '93 4runner Auto 4wd: Geared and Locked and my play toy
    '07 Tacoma Dcab Trd Offroad: Wife's car and all around family car

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The bouncy part is almost certainly your shocks. The squeaky part is most likely your upper A-arm bushings and maybe your torsion bar mount areas. Just replacing your shocks should help a lot though because controlling the bounce will also minimize the squeaks. As for stopping the squeaks completely, unfortunately Toyota didn't see fit to provide grease zerks in these locations for the 2wd vans. About all you can do is get under there with a can of penetrating oil and try to work it in there. I prefer silicone spray as it doesn't leave as much residue but wd-40 or similar products will have more staying power. There's also white lithium grease in the spray can. In most instances this works awesome because it comes out thin like water but gels up when exposed to air. I have my doubts that you could work it into the spots where it really needs to be though, so for this I'd probably stick with the silicone spray or wd-40. Here are your target areas:

The 4wd people have an advantage here because Toyota saw fit to put grease zerks on the 4wd:

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD 5-Speed Cargo (uncut) 1987 4wd Auto Cargo Conversion

How old are the shock cushions?

My Van(s):
    1992 Previa Alltrac "Ginger" (265K)

No idea how old the shocks are. They're blue...that's all I know. And the front is sagging pretty bad. Hard to change? I do all the work myself.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD 5-Speed Cargo (uncut) 1987 4wd Auto Cargo Conversion

You may need an pneumatic impact wrench to break the bolts. If your van is already sagging both shocks and cushions (upper and lower) should probably be replaced before cranking your torsion bars to correct the height. You will need alignment as well after adjusting the torsion bars. Put your regular passenger weight in the drivers seat before adjusting for best results.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4WD 5spd

well at least my 4WD does have grease zirks at the upper A arms but unfortunately they are oriented in such a direction that I have never been able to get a gun on them - at least not on the drivers side

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4WD 5spd

I'm referring to the one in Tim's diagram with the arrow pointing down, on the driver's side in my van is is actually on the engine "side" of the arm

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Squeaking suspension - where to start?

I picked up an 89 RWD 5-speed van a few months ago and have been working through all the minor problems. The shocks were on their way out and it was making a noise that I thought was the right front shock binding as the car went over bounces. I didn't have a garage at the time so I had a mechanic put in KYB shocks all the way around and told him I was going on a long trip and wanted him to inspect everything down there. He said the ball joints were a little worn but not in danger of going out and everything looked ok. He didn't seem to like working on the van, though, so he may not have looked very hard. It was fine for a few days then started squeaking worse than before! It comes and goes now - it will either make no noise, or it will make it with every bump no matter how small. It seems to do it less when it's wet out, but that's hard to say.

Should I start replacing bushings or is there something else I should be looking at? Where would I even get a bushing set? The van has 210k miles and everything feels like it's working properly. I don't think much if anything has been done to the suspension other than the shocks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Squeaking suspension - where to start?

There are several places it could be squeaking from, but the most common spot is the upper A-arm bushings. The rubber up here gets dry and makes noise. Unfortunately the RWD vans don't have grease zerks here (or even a place to put them) so lubing them up is not easy. All I could suggest is to get a can or 2 of silicone spray lube and spray a ton of it up, in, and around these bushings. Use the little red tube to get it in as far as possible. You should also get your sway bar bushings while you're at it. This might not work at 1st, but give it a day or 2 to penetrate in. Good luck. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Squeaky Van. Shocks? Springs?

My 1984 van is getting pretty squeaky, especially once she warms up. This gets annoying on long car trips. Could this be my shocks? Springs? Struts? The van seems to pass the "bounce test" ( when you jump on the bumper and see if it keeps bouncing after you stop jumping) so I think the shocks are ok. Any advice? Spray some WD40?
    Tom - 1984 Toyota Van, Customized Camper

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Squeaky Van. Shocks? Springs?

The upper control arm bushings are usually the culprit. They get worn & dry & the result is the squeaking. 4wd vans have grease zerks for lubing these, but the 2wd vans have nothing. If you drench this area in silicone spray it might get it into the right spot, but you'll probably need to disassemble to lube. If you disassemble, I'd recommend replacing the bushings. Sometimes it's not worth addressing as it's typically not a safety issue (just annoying). The red circles are the upper bushings. There is also a lower bushing that could be squeaking (not circled). The green circles are where the torsion bars connect (there should be lube in here too). If you disassemble, make sure you relax tension on the torsions 1st.......or injury could result. The other precaution is to avoid getting lube on the pads & rotors. Brakes rely on friction and lube is the last thing you want on these surfaces. Tim

PS: Here's another similar thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...=1983#post1983

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Conversion 4x4 manual 4Y 1987 Toyota VAN LE 4x4 AUTO 4Y and another identical one for parts

I have done this to both of my vans and highly recommend it tmiron. It's one of the cheapest, easiest things you can do for your van that will make it more of a joy to drive. I hate squeaks and rattles! Once I did this, a lot of that undercarriage squeak just vanished. If I remember correctly, I think I paid $18 for the bushings.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota van

thanks for posting this I really want my van to ride real nice so far I have changed the 4 shocks andsway bar bushings nowthe r next

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4wd

Does anybody have a recommendation for front sway bar bushing replacement? Are there any better options out than original? Part number 48815 in the diagram at the link is what im looking for. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...ssembly=506260

Also looks like rock auto has some. But im confused because when i search for my 89 4wd it brings up several options. One is marked 4wd specific and looks a bit different. Is that what I need?

Thanks mike

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

The 4WD specific listing on RockAuto under '89 van is for the sway bar end to lower control arm. It's #48811A in you're linked diagram. The ACDelco #45G0582 has an application chart if you click the info button showing '84-'89 fitment with no notes for 2 or 4WD and the Moog #K90531 shows an alternate part # matching the one from your linked diagram.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4wd

Okay that makes sense. Do you know by chance if these should fit very snug around the bar. Because mine currently have quite a bit of play. And i suspect this to be the source of the loud knocking i hear over bumps.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

My understanding is they should be snug around the bar.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    White 89 LE, 2WD.

OMG the sqeaking....It's driving me fvxking CRAZY!!

So I tried the silicone spray a few times and i feel like it worked... for a second. The day after I sprayed everything the second time, it was pretty hot out and the squeaks were at a minimum. So I'm wondering if that was something to factor in to it going away as well. Today however it's cold and raining and they're back.

What i can't seem to pinpoint is where they're coming from exactly. One thing for sure is it's multiple squeaks. If I turn the wheel in either direction, even just a slight lean on it, I hear a squeak. Also though, there's a healthy squeak coming from upward/downward motion like even when I just sit down in the drivers seat.

So - I'm wondering if all of my bushings need replacing? I ordered new shocks which should be hear soon but if I'm going to get in there, I might as well replace everything??

-t
    Last edited by fastcanoe; 04-27-2016 at 12:56 PM.

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

I've found ATP reseal works really well for stopping control arm bushing noise. Put it in a small spray bottle and get in there as best you can. It helps to thoroughly clean all dirt and debris that you can and let it dry first. I'm not sure if it degrades the bushing quicker or anything, but I know it works to stop the squeaks.

I've redone my entire front end and still trying to track down some random intermittent squeaks and rattles.... totally understand where your coming from.