Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4runner upper ball joint conversion?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

4runner upper ball joint conversion?

So as far as I've read the oem replacement for an upper ball joint on a 4wd van is the upper control arm and it's around 326$, each, at 1sttoyotaparts. This guy(Rickyvw) selling a 1987 4wd automatic has machined a part so he can use the upper ball joint from a 4runner-which only cost around 50$, each, at 1sttoyotaparts. Pretty awesome if it works properly-I just emailed him asking if he had trouble with alignment after the conversion, and awaiting a response. Here's the link to his van for sale at toyotavanpeople: http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...hp?f=25&t=9578

Tim, anyone: What do you think? sounds good? I'll not be doing my ball joints for a while but I'm pretty sure they are getting tired and a 100$ option is much better than 700$! Or am I just confused and this is different than I'm hoping it is?
    Here's a picture of the conversion-looks like he maybe added a length of brake hose too:

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: 4runner upper ball joint conversion?

Wow! Looks pretty awesome to me. The spacer he used will also give more lift than just cranking up the bars. That looks like a pretty good deal on his van (considering all he's done). Somebody from around my area please buy it.........then bring it to me so I can reverse engineer his work . Short of that it would sure be nice if he could post more details about the work he did (a dimensional sketch would be awesome . I see he made some pretty awesome looking spring spacers for the rear as well. I have an extra set of upper a-arms sitting here.......perhaps I'll look at modding mine like this too. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Yeah, he might save us some serious $-too bad he's getting out of the van scene with a busted motor. He answered my pm already: Said he's a machinist by trade(figures) and he could look up his receipt(I'd have lost that long ago) for which year 4runner it works with. I asked if he'd fabricate me a couple for a price-waiting on a answer. I'll ask about the dimensional sketch too.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I sent him a PM too. The poor guy just wants to sell his van and only gets bombarded with questions (unrelated to a possible sale). It all looks pretty straight forward, but it's always nice to learn from somebody else's experiences (as I'm sure there were some issues to figure out). I'm pretty sure he needed longer brake hoses (the one in his pic looks pretty new), so a part number for those (along with the ball joints) would save some research. The camber would be a consideration. The increased articulation of the lower arm would likely throw this off a bit. This could be compensated for when locating/machining the holes for the joint spacer/adapter. If you "miss" the 1st time you could probably "re-make" with a different off-set, but there's nothing like hitting it dead-on 1st time around. Fabbing the rear spacers would be pretty straight forward, but without a dimensional drawing you'd almost need to take things apart for measurements (prior to purchasing raw materials & building). Having plans would certainly speed up the process and save some downtime for the van. Another option might be searching for longer springs, but there's so many different diameters, gauges, and lengths, finding the correct combination can be pretty hit & miss. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I felt bad about asking him too many questions too, I agree with you-he just wants to sell his van. But, he knows something really good so I couldn't not ask. He said the alignment shop didn't even blink or ask if there was any aftermarket anything and that the alignment went smooth. I'm eagerly awaiting the next step. Hopefully he'll fab me a couple and I can pay him something for his time. Otherwise I hope we(you, actually) get the dimensions and fab some so we(I) can use them in the not too far future.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've been in contact with Rick and he has agreed to do this job for me. I shipped him a set of 4wd A-Arms today. He is going to do pretty much the same thing he did for his but plans on making some minor changes (things that hindsight has taught him). In addition to the A-Arm/ball-joint mod he will also be making me a set of steel spacers for my rear springs (see picture below). I'll take some pics and post a dimensional sketch of the mod once I get the parts back. He said to expect a couple of weeks. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Oh yeah I forgot he responded to me. He said 200 each arm plus cost of ball joints. I don't have extra a-arms to spare or the couple weeks to get it back, or the money required at this time, but I'm sure glad you do Tim! It does seem like a much better deal than OEM considering the ball joints are replaceable after the upgrade. I am curious to see the dimensions-although I'm no machinist. I also told him some others on this site may be interested in the conversion, if he's interested in more work, but I haven't heard back yet. Spacers look pretty cool too. Can't wait to hear about your new a-arms/ball joints.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

After making my sketch & installing the modified ones, assuming I'm happy with them, I'll probably do the same mod on my old A-arms (so I have a spare set). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87' 4WD 5 Speed 89' 2WD Auto 87' 2WD Auto (parts van) 86' 2WD Auto (parts van)

I'm very interested in this conversion/lift. I would gladly pay for some shop drawings if anyone has some. Tim?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I received all the machined/modified parts just as we were beginning our move. They were promptly deposited in a box and buried by other boxes. The parts are here somewhere, but due to the chaos of moving it will be some time before I can get back to this project. Sorry. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

any updates Tim? im eagerly awaiting your writeup,

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

With the move and my cargo van being wrecked it will take months to get into this......maybe longer. On top of everything else I'm forced outside with car projects until I get some construction work done here (also doing myself). Sorry, but I've got priorities and this project is not one of them..................yet . Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

I'm getting ready to embark on this my self.
    Here's the dimension for a 90 4 Runner.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...2013.52.50.jpg

If you cant read the measurements. Please let me know.

My ball joint came with pressed in studs. They tap out easy but the holes are slightly oversized.

There is not one square thing on the ball joint. I plan on cutting some plate and transfer punching the holes. 5/16 or 8mm bolts will fit in the holes with a little play. If there is still slop after I make my plate the bolts may get upgraded to 3/8.

Then comes making it greasable. It would be easy to make a gaket. But would a full face gasket flex and affect alignment?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Oh good Coronan! Looks like a good start. I don't know about the greasing aspect but shouldn't it last at least ten years without needing a to be greased?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Being that this is going to be applied to a 4x4. The thicker my adapter plate is; the more lift I get; the softer i can run my tortion bars. .... Correct?

I have access to 3/4", 1" and 1.5" plate.

Is there such thing as making the adapter plate too thick????

Affects on allignment?
    Can I compensate for any problems in alignment while doing this mod?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by coronan View Post
    Being that this is going to be applied to a 4x4. The thicker my adapter plate is; the more lift I get; the softer i can run my tortion bars. .... Correct?

I have access to 3/4", 1" and 1.5" plate.

Is there such thing as making the adapter plate too thick????

Affects on allignment?
    Can I compensate for any problems in alignment while doing this mod?
    All good questions & I have concerns with these issues as well. The big potential problem here is the lower control arm. The thicker the plate, the more rotation on the lower control arm. The big question is "how much is too much?". At some point of the rotation the camber (among other things) will become an issue. When I do the installation I plan on carefully checking geometry. If there is a problem I may end up modifying or perhaps even completely re-manufacturing the lower control arm.

So little time, so many projects.........sigh

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I ran across this thread the other day while researching shocks and doing a lift on my 88. I was considering something similar and was wondering if there were any updates? Have you dug them out of their box yet?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Nope, still in their box. Moving sucks. Still lots of other work to be done & fires to put out before I can "play" with my toys. Sorry. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87' 4WD 5 Speed 89' 2WD Auto 87' 2WD Auto (parts van) 86' 2WD Auto (parts van)

I invited blazeland to check out our forum. Maybe he will be willing to help us out in some way. I'd really like to take my van to the next level.

pun intended