Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disabling AWD on 95 AllTrac

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Re: Disabling AWD on 95 AllTrac

Good point but you may have missed my point, which is that PARK will NOT hold when the rear shaft is out in a 91 alltrac.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    wouldn't have happened if you used the parking brake
    the "P" selection in the shifter is no substitute for the parking brake! You're depending on a piece of metal that's the size of a pinky finger that can break.... it has happened before and deaths had resulted!
    even if it doesn't break, it'll eventually break the engine or transmission mounts on any car because you're constantly putting a load on them

frankly, not using the parking brake is a bad habit I've seen most people do

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

PARK will NOT hold when the rear shaft is out in a 91 alltrac

What was the problem you were solving by removing the rear shaft?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    PARK will NOT hold when the rear shaft is out in a 91 alltrac
    What was the problem you were solving by removing the rear shaft?
    I dunno. It was 10 years ago. I might have been having the shaft worked on.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Just an update for the record...I've done about 10000 miles on the locked transfer now and no issues. Since the front diff made noise just passively turning unless it was slightly overfilled with oil I installed 2wd hubs and removed all the front 4wd stuff.I'm happy with the changes since it solved my chronic 4wd issues, but I can report that a 2wd Previa certainly ain't no killer snow vehicle here in SLC.jw

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 2wd 1992 alltrac

I know this is an old thread, hoping that the posters are still alive. I had the viscous coupling on my 92 start acting up, so was very interested in removing the front shaft and just using it as 2wd. I have no use for the w wd, and the tc is ridiculously expensive. So having seen conflicting things about removing the shaft, I figured id give it a try. Pulled it out, and it seems just fine. no slipping all is great - except, Park, no longer locks the wheels. It kinda slows the van from rolling quickly, but not safe. So I tried locking it as described above, but for the life of me, I cant seem to find a spot where that pin will go in after I push the fork shaft in . Does anyone have any experience with that? and will that fix my "Park" situation. Also, someone said that they only got a mile or so without the front shaft, then it stopped. Why? I havent gone a mile yet, but sure feels right. What changes?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

It was the absence of the rear shaft on my 95 that apparently caused the computer to panic and prevented me from driving it until I put it back in. The 91's arent as "smart" and mine had no problem operating as a FWD temporarily. In fact I drove it cross country.

Thanks for thinking I might be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    I know this is an old thread, hoping that the posters are still alive. I had the viscous coupling on my 92 start acting up, so was very interested in removing the front shaft and just using it as 2wd. I have no use for the w wd, and the tc is ridiculously expensive. So having seen conflicting things about removing the shaft, I figured id give it a try. Pulled it out, and it seems just fine. no slipping all is great - except, Park, no longer locks the wheels. It kinda slows the van from rolling quickly, but not safe. So I tried locking it as described above, but for the life of me, I cant seem to find a spot where that pin will go in after I push the fork shaft in . Does anyone have any experience with that? and will that fix my "Park" situation. Also, someone said that they only got a mile or so without the front shaft, then it stopped. Why? I havent gone a mile yet, but sure feels right. What changes?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 2wd 1992 alltrac

Quote Originally Posted by Previologist View Post
    It was the absence of the rear shaft on my 95 that apparently caused the computer to panic and prevented me from driving it until I put it back in. The 91's arent as "smart" and mine had no problem operating as a FWD temporarily. In fact I drove it cross country.

Thanks for thinking I might be dead.
    Did you do anything with locking the transfer case? OR just took off the driveshaft and drove to California (or New York?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I did nothing with the transfer case, but I just want to make clear again that on mine it was the rear shaft that got removed. I have never tried driving without the front shaft on either of my Previas.

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    Did you do anything with locking the transfer case? OR just took off the driveshaft and drove to California (or New York?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 2wd 1992 alltrac

Quote Originally Posted by Previologist View Post
    I did nothing with the transfer case, but I just want to make clear again that on mine it was the rear shaft that got removed. I have never tried driving without the front shaft on either of my Previas.
    Gotcha, thanks. I thought it was rear on the 95 and front on 91 . Seems like the same issue would be in play though - If you would have to lock it when missing the front , I'd think for the same reasons you'd have to lock it if missing the back . Dunno

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

If you want a real solution this is what you have to do. You have to do BOTH the following, otherwise your vehicle will get effed.

1. Lock the transfer per the manual. This bypasses the viscous coupling and makes both the front and rear drive shafts turn together, like permanent AWD I suppose.

2. Remove the forward part of the front drive shaft (not the hinged bit which goes into the transfer case) When combined with 1. above this turns the vehicle into RWD. The Previa wants to be RWD NOT FWD. Do not remove the front drive shaft without locking the transfer - you will bugfger up the transfer in an unpredictable way. Do not remove the rear shaft to turn it into FWD. Same thing.

Mine is a manual and has done over 30,000 miles now with no issues. Also, with the manual trans I always use the parking brake. If you have to use it in your automatic after modding the transfer, you decide which is worse.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Do not remove the rear shaft to turn it into FWD. Same thing.
    And yet, I did it with no apparent harm done.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Update: 50,000+ miles on the *locked transfer/no front shaft* mod with zero problems.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

That's pretty cool. You are pioneering new ground for Previas!