Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Rack inquiry, maybe with a little twist

My Van(s):
    1988 panel truck stick shift\ 1993 previa

Another Rack inquiry, maybe with a little twist

So my new to me 88 cargo van has a pretty hefty leak from one end of the steering rack.
    Obviously it's in need of new seals.
    question 1) has anyone here found a source for just the end seals?
    Of course they aren't listed separately from Toyota.
    question 2) I noticed in my factory repair manual that there was a standard (non power) steering rack also.
    Was that just an option in other countries, or has any one here seen and driven with that set-up? Impressions?
    Currently I don't have much in the way of power steering due to the massive leak, I am not finding it impossible to drive or anything like that.
    I can only imagine that non-power rack would be geared a little different. Also more room in the engine compartment, and more available power from the engine.
    Also thinking of tearing out the AC if it can't be fixed easily and cheaply.
    That's next on the list after the steering issue is resolved.
    Thanks in advance!
    Robert

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Another Rack inquiry, maybe with a little twist

I looked this up on the EPC for you. I don't know if these are still available but here is a break-down with part numbers for the individual parts. There are more diagrams for the rack, but these are the ones that deal with seals & gaskets.

• 44015A= Toyota Part #44015-20010 NUT SUB-ASSY, BEARING GUIDE
    • 44015B= Toyota Part #90301-43002 RING, O (FOR BEARING GUIDE NUT)
    • 44015C= Toyota Part #90310-25004 SEAL, OIL (FOR BEARING GUIDE NUT)
    • 44201= Toyota Part #44201-28040 VALVE SUB-ASSY, POWER STEERING CONTROL
    • 44201C= Toyota Part #90562-32002 RING (FOR POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE)
    • 44203= Toyota Part #44203-28040 HOUSING SUB-ASSY, POWER STEERING RACK
    • 44204= Toyota Part #44204-28020 RACK SUB-ASSY, POWER STEERING
    • 44204A= Toyota Part #90301-39003 RING, INNER (FOR RACK STEERING PISTON)
    • 44204A= Toyota Part #90562-43001 RING, OUTER (FOR RACK STEERING PISTON)
    • 44210B= Toyota Part #90410-06005 SEAT, UNION (FOR POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE)
    • 44210C= Toyota Part #90301-51001 RING, O (FOR POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE)
    • 44210E= Toyota Part #90311-19002 SEAL, OIL (FOR POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE)
    • 44210F= Toyota Part #90363-19003 BEARING (FOR POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE)
    • 44211= Toyota Part #44211-22020 HOUSING, CONTROL VALVE
    • 44222A= Toyota Part #45222-32010 COVER, DUST (FOR POWER STEERING GEAR)
    • 44253A= Toyota Part #90999-99132 SEAL, OIL (FOR POWER STEERING RACK HOUSING)
    • 44267= Toyota Part #44267-28010 GUIDE, RACK END
    • 44275= Toyota Part #44275-28010 STOPPER, CYLINDER END
    • 44275B= Toyota Part #90310-30004 SEAL, OIL (FOR CYLINDER END STOPPER)
    • 44277= Toyota Part #44277-28010 SEAT, RACK GUIDE
    • 44418A= Toyota Part #44419-28020 TUBE, STEERING RIGHT TURN PRESSURE
    • 44418B= Toyota Part #90410-04001 SEAT, UNION, CONTROL VALVE SIDE (2) (FOR STEERING TURN PRESSURE TUBE)
    • 44418B= Toyota Part #90410-04002 SEAT, UNION, RACK HOUSING SIDE (2) (FOR STEERING TURN PRESSURE TUBE)
    • 44419A= Toyota Part #44418-28020 TUBE, STEERING LEFT TURN PRESSURE
    • 44503E= Toyota Part #45503-29125 END SUB-ASSY, STEERING RACK (FOR POWER STEERING)
    • 44503F= Toyota Part #90214-14005 WASHER, CLAW (FOR POWER STEERING RACK END)
    • 44523G= Toyota Part #45523-28010 GUIDE, RACK (FOR POWER STEERING)
    • 44523H= Toyota Part #90501-23024 SPRING (FOR POWER STEERING RACK GUIDE)
    • 44524A= Toyota Part #45524-16010 CAP, RACK GUIDE SPRING (FOR POWER STEERING)
    • 44524B= Toyota Part #90179-36002 NUT (FOR POWER STEERING RACK GUIDE CAP)
    • 44535B= Toyota Part #45535-28010 BOOT, STEERING RACK NO.1 (FOR POWER STEERING)
    • 44535C= Toyota Part #90461-12298 CLAMP (FOR POWER STEERING RACK BOOT)
    • 44535D= Toyota Part #90467-18003 CLIP (FOR POWER STEERING RACK BOOT)
    • 44536B= Toyota Part #45535-28010 BOOT, STEERING RACK NO.2 (FOR POWER STEERING)
    • 90149-30004 *** STD. PART
    • 91511-60825 *** STD. PART

& here are the seal kits:

I could be wrong but I don't think they ever sold non-power steering vans in the US market. Tim

My Van(s):

Thanks Tim. Have you ever been into one of these for seals?
    I don't know which EPC source you have, but the one I found online doesn't do this breakdown, and the part numbers they list are not complete and not recognizable at Toyota.
    Is your EPC source a closely guarded secret? I'm going shopping next week at the pick a part yards in SO CAL and among other things, will be looking for a set of nice carpets. MAinly the engine cover section in mine had to be removed due to EXTREME filth which when attempted to clean destroyed the carpet. In other words the filth and dog hair were the only thing holding it together. Got any nice ones that are shippable?
    Robert

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

So far I've been lucky enough to not have any problems with racks (knock on wood). I've had several high mileage vans over the years, so I guess you could say I've been very lucky. On the subject of EPC I just sent you an email with information to help you obtain that resource. I did have a van with nice carpets, but I forgot to close the battery compartment after removing a battery and it sat that way for about 6 months. Anyhow some #$%&^* cats got in there and destroyed the interior. Some parts still look okay but the smell will never come out .

My Van(s):

Thanks Tim, I appreciate it.
    You are truly a big help.
    This is what I do, maybe you've seen this, I don't remember if I posted a link before.
    www.wirewerkes.com
    Robert

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Very cool. My teenage years were centered around motorcycles as well......lots of great memories. Nice clean website......awesome! I'm glad you found us. I'm happy to help with any van related stuff (assuming I know the answer). Lots of other knowledge here too & great members to help where I fall short. Tim

My Van(s):

Well, the new used $20.00 wrecking yard rack is in and bled. New brake pads while I was there.
    While I had the old rack out, I went ahead and removed all the pesky A/C stuff and in the process found out why it had no charge.
    Maybe with the condensor moved out, it will run a little cooler. Also one less belt to turn. ALL the stuff is out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Well that sure beats rebuilding your leaky one! Parts alone would likely cost over $100 (and that's if you could even find them). I wouldn't hesitate to install a used rack (assuming it didn't show evidence of leaking). In my experience these seem to be pretty reliable.

I'm sure your van will love dropping those extra pounds of heat producing equipment. Makes tons of sense.......but what about you? I work out of my van and I really look forward to that A/C while driving from one job to another. I put a heater core behind my front bumper to help my van dump the extra heat. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

I figured this thread would be the best to inquire this. I've got a bad leak somewhere on my 88 4wd steering rack. Both boots are ballooned up and full of fluid! Is dropping rack necessary to repair? I came out to van this morning to a river of ATF running down drive way.

Name:  IMG_1884.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  82.3 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

This may not be the best option regarding longevity, but considering your situation I'd recommend replacing the entire rack with one of the cheap eBay reman units. Here's the one that's supposed to fit your van: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Steer...ZaA0x2&vxp=mtr

Personally I like to take apart and rebuild everything, but the rack has some special hard to find bearings and seals (ask Burntboot as he's gone through one HERE). There are also some challenges with specialized tools. Usually these type problems can be resolved with a little brain power and custom fab work, but it's time consuming and depending on your resources may not even be possible.

There are also places you can send your old one in for rebuild (would likely run ~$300), but that would required removal, packing-up, sending, and waiting. Much better to have one there to put on when you take your old one off. You could then send in your old for a quality rebuild. As I'm sure you're aware, it can be a bit risky purchasing things like this off eBay, but IMO for a price like that it's worth the risk. Regardless of which way you go please post the outcome as I'm sure others will eventually be in the spot you are now. Tim

PS: Here's a cheaper one, but unless you send your old one back they'll hit you with a $75 core charge. Not sure about shipping charges: http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart.../80-00553.html

PPS: Be sure to use quality tubing wrenches when attempting to remove the metal steering lines from the rack. You'll get one shot, don't waste it with open end wrenches.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Thanks Tim- I know you do a lot of heavy van loads. I recently have had to use the van for a lot of heavy transporting and wondered if it contributed to rack failure sooner than later. Hmm.

I ordered the rack from the ebay site on Saturday and noticed withdrawl of funds from accnt. But no confirmation email , so called in today and I was told they don't have this in stock and they are looking around to source it and could be a week or two. Not into that so I got my refund and back looking for a new source or find one in a yard to inspect.

There is a acdelco on rockauto but says RWD. Are the rack and pinion specific for 4wd and 2wd? Looking at manual it doesn't have a page for each, I'm assuming they are the same?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Did that 2nd link I posted not pan out either? If I needed a rack and I had a good 2wd one laying around, I might try it, but I don't think I would gamble with ordering one for a 2wd. Keep in mind the sub-frames on the 2wd vans are different. Not sure what the difference is on the racks, but there are distinctly different part numbers in the breakdown. I'm guessing it would almost work, or possibly could be made to work, but I wouldn't go down that road unless the correct one was NLA. FYI, I've put over 500k miles on my vans with about double their rated load capacities and I haven't had a rack failure yet (knock on wood). Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Good to know about the difference. Yeah the ebay listing is the same company looks like as their main site. But I found they are under an umbrella of a larger auto parts brand it seems. Kind of a hassle getting ahold of somebody who knew what was going on. Somehow I ended up getting additional invoices sent out today as well. Geez. Ah well im sure i'll get that sorted tomorrow afternoon. Now to find that rack...will report back if I find. Thanks.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Getting a few conflicting part numbers for this complete unit for 4wd. What's the updated part number for complete rack and pinion set for 88 4wd mnl ?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

According to the EPC, all 4wd vans built through July of 1988 take Toyota part #44250-28060 which crosses over to part #80-00553-R from Car Steering Wholesale (link above). If you get me your VIN, I could do a more comprehensive check, but pretty sure that number will work on all 88 4wd vans. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Ok thanks for the confirmation. I was gettting a different number from a guy on phone with that website mentioned above. And from some of the other parts websites I was getting dif numbers. I'm learning these parts a production date is needed to specify correct part? Or so I'm told. Found an axle shop in town that said they had available racks on shelf for this van... so I went in and they didnt have it. So the search continues....I'm in the middle of a move so this may take me a week or so to get too but I'll be sure to post my results.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I wouldn't be too surprised if another rack would fit, but wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be that exact one. You'd almost need to compare side by side to make that determination. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Sourced a rack finally buut I think its the wrong one however, now that I have it next to the one in my van. grrr.. I have begun to tear the bad one out but have hit a wall. I'm stuck wondering what to do next. The rack removal in the 4wd isn't exactly what the repair manual shows. Anyone have experince ripping a rack out of an 88 4wd le? Everything is unbolted and loose but no clear path to slide rack out... any suggestions? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Good question. I've never removed a rack, but I know it's been done. I don't always follow the service manual, but the 1st step there is to remove the front diff. Probably not what you want to hear, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Tim

PS: You will probably have better luck posting that question on the thread I linked to above. In that thread Burnboot removed his (on a 4wd), but doesn't mention removal of anything else. If you post there, the site will send him a notification and he's likely to respond. He may also respond here, but it may take him a while to stumble upon your post.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Thanks Tim I'll follow your suggestion. I'll be digging back in tomorrow eve. Thinking maybe going up through radiator may be an easier route... 🤔haven't given it too much thought though... haven't wanted too ha. Will report how it goes , thanks.