Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i have the all time sliding door cure for you

My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa le dual sunroof model jdm engine and light conversion , 1995 Toyota Previa le supercharged dual sunroof model jdm light conversion

i have the all time sliding door cure for you

Hello guys and gals. is your sliding door having issues? Well this is what i did and the results are amazing. first thing you need to do is remove the center roller guide from the door make sure to secure the sliding door or it can fall and mess your whole day up. I suggest a jack stand to support the weight and a rope tide to the door piller to keep it falling sideways. Remove the retainning washers at the top with a pair of wire cutters. Now remove the plastic bushing guides. Now you need four 6x9x4mm bearing and two 5mm c clips. install two bearings on each guide post and cap it with the c clips. Now its ready to go back in. FOLLOW THE TOYOTA MANUAL FOR PROPER INSTALLATION AND ALIGNMENT OF THE SLIDING DOOR.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Previa dude; 09-30-2012 at 03:45 PM.

My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa le dual sunroof model jdm engine and light conversion , 1995 Toyota Previa le supercharged dual sunroof model jdm light conversion

Re: i have the all time sliding door cure for you

One thing I forgot to mention. Make sure your guide posts are not worn or have any flat spots. Is will not allow the bearings to work correctly. If they are worn try to find one at a junkyard that isn't.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    No vans yet 1984 Tercel 4wd SR5 (230,000 mi) 1985 FJ60 Landcruiser (216,000 mi) 1995FZJ80 Landcrusier (w/ lockers) (209,000 mi) 1987 Toyota Dolphin RV (60,000 mi)

I am going to have to try this as one of the two vans i just picked up is a PIA to close, and it won't stay open if there is any sort of a decline.

My Van(s):

I am unsure if this will work the way you intend it to work. This is ment as a long term repair that will out last a new Toyota replacement part that cost well over 100 bucks, this is low in cost and highly effective. Tell me, is the center roller sound like it is metal to metal? If so this will cure that problem. If the door is just sliding close on its own then that may mean the door is out of alignment or the roller guide stays are worn out due to the factory plastic bushings being worn and it sliding metal to metal. To check this look at the center and top rail tracks. Towards the back of the track look to see if the stays are worn flat. If they are then replace them, and realign the door. If you buy the parts and do what I did make sure the hight of each bearing is 4mm. Don't buy a signal 8mm bearing for each guide post,they can not support the weight of the door, that is why you need two 4mm bearing to distribute the weight better.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    No vans yet 1984 Tercel 4wd SR5 (230,000 mi) 1985 FJ60 Landcruiser (216,000 mi) 1995FZJ80 Landcrusier (w/ lockers) (209,000 mi) 1987 Toyota Dolphin RV (60,000 mi)

My van door might have more than one problem, but this fix should certainly help. I was just out there and checked the center door bushings and they are shot. They are worn to the point that, like you warned, the posts themselves might be worn. So I guess I will try to locate some previas in local yards.

My Van(s):

it just found out the roller stop is on the bottom rail track. its a black peace of metal that is bent towards the bottom bearing. look to see if it ingages with that bearing.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Previa dude, I definitely have issues at that lower roller assembly on the door in addition to the center bearings being extremely worn. With regards to that lower door rollers, and stop, my 94 looks to have that bent inward piece of black metal, and ragther than a bearing it looks more like a nylon bushing. Maybe I need to take another look. The white nylon bushing appears to be worn down a bit, hence my door not staying open. I thought to just bend that tab in a bit more, but i am thinking it will hold the door too well and might hang up when closing the door. Is that lower bushing/bearing available from toyota?

Thanks,

Carson

My Van(s):

only as one peace. and its around $110. 00. I had a little problem like you. i replaced it with a brass bushing. i bent the tap to make it work. ever since i replaced all the plastic bushing with metal bearing and bushings the door rolls like brand new. if the bottom roller is not that bad i would just bend the tap a bit, nothing major just a little at a time to get it to work the way it should.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'm going to try this next time around (assuming I can find a door bracket that still has round pins). The fix I put on my bracket with damaged pins has been holding up fine for several years now. For those of you with no money and damaged pins, here's a link to a cheaper solution: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...t=Sliding+door

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    93 previa

I know I need to repair mine plus the upper and lower slides are probably shot as well, any tips on those upper and lower for bearing size and/or pics would be appreciated!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

For some reason the uppers & lowers last pretty long. I've had a few Previas & I've only had to replace the center ones so far. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 Previa

Have you had any luck replacing the bushing posts on the sliding hinge? My posts are worn flat and I have the "pex" fix in that is helping but would like to get new posts and metal bushings to have it rolling again.

If anyone has size and source for replacement posts for this part it would be appreciated.

Cheers

My Van(s):

BEST THING TO DO IS GO TO PICK AND PULL AND FIND ONE THATS NOT WORN FLAT THEN BUT BEARINGS. IT LAST WAY LONGER AND ROLLS LIKE BUTTER.LOL

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

I replaced my rusty lower bracket with one from the junk yard... both works fine, but the junk yard one wasn't rusty if I were to replace the rollers, do you have part numbers for those bearings? that will help immensely rather than trying to figure out what I need based on size

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Previa LE S/C

Yeah, curious minds want to know where you sourced the bearings and c-clips so we will know that it works! Appreciate the writeup

My Van(s):

Just went to my local hardware store. I bleive it is yankee hardware

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by Previa dude View Post
    Hello guys and gals. is your sliding door having issues? Well this is what i did and the results are amazing. first thing you need to do is remove the center roller guide from the door make sure to secure the sliding door or it can fall and mess your whole day up. I suggest a jack stand to support the weight and a rope tide to the door piller to keep it falling sideways. Remove the retainning washers at the top with a pair of wire cutters. Now remove the plastic bushing guides. Now you need four 6x9x4mm bearing and two 5mm c clips. install two bearings on each guide post and cap it with the c clips. Now its ready to go back in. FOLLOW THE TOYOTA MANUAL FOR PROPER INSTALLATION AND ALIGNMENT OF THE SLIDING DOOR.
    I've been looking for those 6x9x4mm bearings and can't find them at any of the stores I've been to. Are they ball bearings? Do you happen to remember the brand?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

My Van(s):

I got the at a bearing shop. Where they have all types of bearing of different shapes and sizes. You need to measure the inside of the trake, especially if the slide went metal to metal. Tim's way is also a good way to get it to roll again. I used his trick on me friends van and still work to this day.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by Previa dude View Post
    I got the at a bearing shop. Where they have all types of bearing of different shapes and sizes. You need to measure the inside of the trake, especially if the slide went metal to metal. Tim's way is also a good way to get it to roll again. I used his trick on me friends van and still work to this day.
    I don't have the van yet. It's in Colorado at my brother's house, and I'm in Wisconsin. I know that it has the same problem with the door, and I turned a nylon standoff to 3/8" od and 1/4" id, but would eventually like to make it more permanent in the fashion that you did.
    Thanks for the quick response.