PDA

View Full Version : Transsmission leak

surfah
10-30-2012, 02:42 AM
I'm trying to pinpoint an auto tranny leak in my 89. Might just be the pan gasket, but...

On the drivers side, just above the pan is a shallow, circular recess and you can see the end of a shaft in the center. This corresponds to a linkage on the other side of the tranny. There appears to be a minor leak from the recess that may be dripping down to the pan seam and making it look like the pan gasket is leaking.

My question is - Is this recess supposed to be capped or sealed with something that is missing or is it normal to be opened?

Also, lately when I start it up in the morning, when I put it in reverse it idles poorly and has even died. It's fine in forward gears, and in all gears once it warms up. Any thoughts?

Thanks

surfah
11-14-2012, 06:05 PM
So I went to the Toyota dealer and had them check out the seal on their computer. It did appear to be a seal I could dig out and replace so I purchased it, 12 bucks, and I replaced it today. I had to dig out the old one with a sturdy, narrow screwdriver. I had an oil pan ready because I didn't know if the recess was open to the inside, which it wasn't, so not a need for that. I gently tapped in the new one with a 15mm socket and a tack hammer. Pics are of new installed and old removed. The inside of the seal has an inner ring that has a circular spring in it. Apparently this wears out. I have to run it yet, so I'll see soon if my work is good and if that is the only source of leaks.