PDA

View Full Version : turn key - delay before starter engages

Harbilly
11-26-2012, 02:56 PM
I know we have a slightly flakey fuse box which has required one fuse to have it's spades curved to make them 'fatter' (in case 'fuse box' is the answer) but every now and then I turn the key and there is a half second or so delay before the starter motor engages. 5 speed, manual, 1989 4wd.
Any and all advice muchly appreciated.
I fear being way off road and not being able to start the van. Wife (with baby) would not be impressed!
thanks!!!

davidgracevan
11-26-2012, 10:38 PM
happened to me also... follow these thread - http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php?229-Re-Ignition-switch-question

- let me tell you my story, your problem also happened to me, checked everything, cleaned everything, it solves the problem for a while and then goes back again, what i did is i installed a stater relay which really made help for the delay, just click but no crank problem not to come back anymore. This is just a personal solution its up to you, but i recommend to you to do first tim's thread (above) before resolving to do any modification. Heres a diagram i did to my van: 806

hope it helps.
david

Harbilly
12-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Battery was during. Eventually shirted internally. All well now.

Flounder
12-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Good to hear that you figured it out. This happened in my '88. I did a capacity test on the battery; all was well. One day when I was preparing for an interstate drive (OR to WA), she wouldn't start at all. Fortunately, I had a spare starter on board and it hadn't started to rain yet that day. Took about 1/2 hour to change - easy! Battery and solenoid leads off, then two bolts removed and it'll drop right into your hand - and with the new starter installed she started right up. I know a good auto electrical guy in Creswell, OR (thank you Gwen); he rebuilt the starter for <$70.
Safety first! Always remove the leads from the battery before changing a starter or alternator!

joegri
01-21-2014, 06:00 PM
hi all been awhile since i,ve been here and i,m sooo glad you guys are here. this is the prob i,ve come up against a damn intermitant starting problem uggggh. i did click on tims thread and read that through and i,m guessing it,s the contacts on the starter. now i have to deciede weather to go for the ebay type or order from the local toyota parts desk? seems those guys never give ya a break,guess i already answered that question.the starter that is in there is one that came with a lifetime guarantee so i,m gonna go that route first. for harbilly dg van and flounder what was the outcome for you guys i,m curious. thanx tim for all the research and the forum. without it i would,nt be able to keep my van running!

Harbilly
01-21-2014, 06:47 PM
I was suffering from a dying battery which eventually shorted internally.
New battery. No problems since.

joegri
01-22-2014, 06:09 PM
thanx for comming back harbilly. for me it can never be that simple. i was able to get a swap for my lifetime starter. wont be in untill tomorrow in the afternoon. i see the high temp for tomorrow is 17 so i,m not in a big rush to play under the van. also i think i,ll get the contacts of the ebay listing to replace in an older starter and have it in stock! the "how to" that tim did was/is very informative. and i,m greatful for thatl

timsrv
01-23-2014, 01:51 AM
One thing worth noting is the condition of the solenoid plunger (the round thing in the middle that touches the contacts). Sometimes the under side of this (where contact is made) gets messed up. It's more likely to happen if you hold the key in the starter position for extended periods. If the contacts are uneven, the plunger can sit there sizzling on the contacts and this can cause material to transfer from the contacts to the plunger and/or visa versa. I've run into this 2 times now, and was able to fix by chucking the plunger into my drill. While spinning the plunger I used a sanding disc on my die grinder to reface the contact surface. I used high RPM counter rotating forces & it cleaned up nice & quick.

If you do this, the shaft of the plunger may slip on the body (stopping the desired rotation). I wrapped the shaft & body with electrical tape to prevent that, then removed it when done. Starters worked flawlessly afterward (both times). Tim

PS: Be careful if attempting this and be sure to use eye protection. A vise or a 2nd set of hands can make the job easier and safer.

trestlehed
01-23-2014, 09:09 PM
I have had the dreaded "Won't Start" issue since I bought my van 4+ years ago. Shop tested and inspected several times. To make a long story longer, my mechanic buddy at work installed a starter bypass button. 4 years ago. Works every time. Fast forward to present. He just essentially finished rebuilding my engine. While doing that, he found all kinds of "weird" grounds from the starter to various points on the frame and engine. He removed all the odd stuff, made sure the stock connections and grounds were clean/new etc. So I meet him to pick up my van and he says that the van has started every time since he fixed everything, without the use of the starter bypass. So we get in the van and I turn the key, and it starts right up. NICE! We drive around, go back to his house. He shows me all the wonders he performed in the engine bay. We go over the paperwork, I write him a BIG FAT CHECK. So it's time to go. After the thank you's and the "We Aren't Worthy Wayne's World Worship Bows".... I get in the van, turn the key... Nothing. He is shocked! "But I was sure I cured that!" (Flashback to Han Solo in the Empire Strikes Back ala Millenium Falcon "It's not my fault!") I press the starter bypass button and it fires right up (the stars blur and I make the jump to lightspeed).
"Oh well," I said. "At least the bypass still works and the engine has a new lease on life."

This is just how my van is. I hope you all have better luck with the starting issue.
Meanwhile, I get to drive my van around (at mostly the speed limit which is way below lightspeed) with BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus drivers weaving behind me/shaking their fists out the window, as I look in the rear-view mirror and watch their heads explode (Kinda like the Death Star - original trilogy).:LOL2::(::clap:

A great big thanks! to Tim for helping me decide to keep my van and continue to cause/watch those exploding heads!:wrthy:

P.S. Tim, consider this my official request to have a rear-view mirror (view) of an exploding yuppie head (with Death Star pyrotechnics) emoticon.

timsrv
01-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Lol, thanks for the update on your van. Nice to hear it's back! I'll be driving my money pit again soon as well. Tim

PS: I like your new signature :roflmao:

trestlehed
01-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Thank you Tim for being a "Defender of the Faith!"
(Judas Priest reference).

timsrv
01-24-2014, 03:28 AM
I'm just glad to hear you brought your van back from beyond the realms of death. Just don't ever overheat it.........or it will be steaming for vengeance :doh:

Harbilly
08-20-2023, 10:01 AM
And now the key/crank delay has appeared in my 86 cargo.
after I look at the wires around the battery I’m just going straight for a new battery.
hey, it worked 10 years ago for the 89.