PDA

View Full Version : 96 Previa DX suspension issues - sway bar and strut related questions

fuelstuff
12-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I recently bought a used 1996 Previa DX (AWD; supercharged). Admittedly, I bought a lemon and now I'm making lemonade. Luckily I have a great mechanic who feels my pain and doesn't rape me on parts and labor cost. Albeit, he is not a toyota previa expert. So between this site, Toyota Nation, and zenseeker.com, we plan to restore my Previa to its honorable place in the sun. These are the latest issues we are currently addressing:

Overall the van drives smooth. But sways deeply if I aggressively turn the wheel in either direction. Moreover, when I drive over any bumps the Previa makes a loud clanking sound. I searched the forums on Toyota nation and discovered that others have had the same issue. The conclusion is that its typically not the struts. Instead, the common problem is that whomever installed the new struts forgot to install the "spring bumper." I checked underneath my van with a flashlight, and from I can see, I don't think the spring bumpers were installed.
Question: Should I be able to see the spring bumpers from underneath the van or are they hidden by the spring seat (or anything else)? I ask so I don't have to break down the struts unnecessarily or order parts prematurely.

Second issue: I have no front sway bar. Seriously. The previous owner had new struts installed but for whatever reason the front sway bar was not re-installed. That said, I have to install a new (or used) one including sway bar links, bushing, etc. Question: Are all Previa sway bars universal for all years, makes, and models? If not, what are the distinguishing characteristics for sway bar compatibility (the year? Model? Whether they are supercharged or not; or have AWD or not)? I ask because a new OEM sway bar specific to my year, make, and model (OEM part number: 48811-28100) costs $140 +/-. I have not found an online distributor who sells OE sway bars (which I assume would be cheaper). So plan B is to find one at my local scrap yard. But if the sway bars aren't universal for all makes and models, then it just a waste of time and money to try to find a used one at my local salvage yard if their inventory doesn't satisfy the necessary compatibility characteristics. Question 2: Are all sway bar LINKS universal for all years, makes, and models? There are a ton of OE sway bar link kits selling for as cheap as $14 apiece. OEM is $70 +/-. If they are universal then I can save some money by buying OE. Anyone have any recommendations on quality OE link manufacturers? Or online distributors who sell quality OE parts at a fair price?

I also have the dreaded EGR (Code 0401) issue. But I think I found enough info on Toyota nation to solve that problem. My mechanic is going to take apart and clean the entire EGR system. Much cheaper than spending $300 in labor to have a complete diagnostic (as suggested by Toyota service manual), plus the added cost of fixing the actual problem. But if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

timsrv
12-10-2012, 03:43 AM
Hello & welcome to TVT! I suspect most (if not all) of your suspension issue is due to the missing sway bar (not having this is a big deal). The sway bar and all associated components are the same from 91 - 95. In 97 all parts were different, but not sure about interchangeability. 96 Previas (depending on production date) used the same sway bar as 91-95 but the later links were used (this tends to suggest you could interchange). Personally I wouldn't consider buying a sway bar from Toyota (big $$$). I'd go to a pick-n-pull salvage yard and buy used. I know the sway bar link mounts on the struts are the same for all years, so as long as you take the sway bar and all related parts form the same donor vehicle I'm guessing that would be fine. If you need to purchase new bushings or links, just purchase them for the year Previa you rob them from.

The rubber bumpers for the front suspension sit inside the springs on the strut shaft. Reference the picture below.........it's the yellow part near the top:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/previa%20suspension/IMG_8481.jpg

On higher mileage Previas it's not unusual to see these get squashed/fall apart and eventually fall out. Another thing about the Previas is worn or failing struts are much more noticeable. This is due to the forward control design. Previa struts last about 100k miles, so if you're getting front suspension noise, and your struts have over 100k, I'd probably just replace them. For part numbers and more information on how to replace, check this thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?328-1st-post-amp-already-need-help!!. A possible band-aid fix for this is to install the rubber "H" blocks (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029K20M/sr=1-25/qid=1155516203/ref=sr_1_25/002-8231095-7094425?ie=UTF8&s=automotive) between the spring coils. This will slightly increase your front ride height and make it less likely to bottom out. Here's a picture of some installed:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/springblocks.jpg

For more information on Previa suspension and possible mods, check out this thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?3-Lifted-All-Trac-Previa

fuelstuff
12-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Tim,

This is most helpful. Double checked today. No spring bumpers. But to avoid the cost and time to remove the strut to install them, I'm going to take your advice and install the H blocks. My struts are new. Coils are old. This a good temporary fix until I have to install new struts and coils. BTW, where did you buy your coil springs when you replaced your struts?

Per the databases/comments of several salvage yards (in search of a used sway bar), I discovered that for supercharged Previas, the sway/stabilizer bars are constructed with stiffer torsion. Non-supercharged previa sway bars are not. That said, the sway bars of 1994-1997 Supercharged previas are universally compatible with other supercharged models made during those same years.

It sounds feasible to use a non-supercharged Previa sway bar from 1991-1996 on a supercharged van (1991-1996), but factor in that it has less torsion strength.

timsrv
12-11-2012, 01:18 PM
If you need springs, I'd purchase those from an internet Toyota parts site like www.1stToyotaParts.com. They will be around $100 each + whatever they want for shipping. Tim