PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Lighters / USB Ports

foreverly
12-13-2012, 03:30 PM
My DX doesn't have cigarette lighters installed. Now I don't plan on taking up the habit anytime soon but it sure would be nice to have USB ports to charge modern day devices.

I've been looking for drop in USB replacements instead of having cigarette lighters w/ USB adapters but I haven't found anything yet.

But in any regard, will my DX have the wiring in place for the cigarette lighters or I'm I going to have to run & splice into wiring? Both cigarette lighter holes just have a cap on them in the front dash & on the back climate control.

Thanks
:bluevan:

skibum
12-14-2012, 12:17 AM
You could get something like this dual lighter socket/dual USB charging port (http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-cigarette-lighter-Cigarette-splitter/dp/B003YJ8TVQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1355465523&sr=8-6&keywords=dual+cigarette+lighter+socket). It's got a lighter socket plug to power it up, but you could just cut that off and wire it in direct. If that doesn't look like it will work for you, google the same.

foreverly
12-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Thank you, you've really kickstarted my imagination. I have the cup holders with the pocket underneath which I could mount this into.

Also, you certainly put me into the right spot on Amazon where I found this :

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Dual-Charger-Socket/dp/B0082CXEI8/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

which is pretty much what I was looking for. It should mount right into the empty hole in the dash & provide two usb ports.

I'm replacing the factory cassette at the moment & I found an empty socket / plug in the dash wiring. I think it is purple. I wonder if this is what everybody's cigarette lighter plugs into...

I'm curious if with the stock wiring on TV's the cigarette lighter provides continuous power even when ignition is off. It is helpful to charge my phone when surfing & the car is off.

Burntboot
12-14-2012, 11:53 AM
All toyota's have keyed power (Acc position) to the cigarette lighters, you would have to direct wire something if you wanted constant power.

foreverly
12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks. I wondered about that. Probably not going to worry about having continuous power since all the positive wires in that area are going to be run off the ignition.

So, maybe just wiring the adapter into the stereo hot & ground is the way to go.