PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft pulley bolts problems

Previa dude
12-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Hello, I have a 91 Toyota previa. I am trying to do the timing chain and guides, but can't get the harmonic balancer bolt off:wall:

timsrv
12-21-2012, 12:46 AM
A pneumatic impact is the tool of choice but there are other ways. Here's a video slosurfer made while removing one from a van. :rol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeJDDJSAczY

Previa dude
12-21-2012, 04:25 PM
ty tim i have air tools but this bolt is torque to 192ft pounds. but ill try the starter bump method and see what happens.:clap:

Previa dude
12-24-2012, 10:42 PM
that did the trick tim, but for some reason when i turn the key nothing happened. i had to crawl under the van and jump the termal. i checked it out after i got the crank bolt out, had no power at the black wire. any ideas? oh and happy x-mas to you sir:lol:

timsrv
12-24-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm assuming the van was in neutral or park when you tried? Here's some other things to look at in this thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?600-Intermittent-Starting-Problems-amp-Check-Engine-Light-91-Previa-LE-AWD-A-T

Previa dude
12-25-2012, 02:20 PM
All hail Tim. master of the Toyota previa. you have solved every problem i have had this far. from the head gasket to the stater issuse. by the way it was the switch on the tranny. your forum rules all other as far as solid advise. so if you got a toyota van or periva tim is the man. i am going to get a license plate frame the says' In tim i trust. lol and i am for reals. im throw my servied by maita toyota frames in the trash. merry chrismas man

timsrv
12-25-2012, 02:35 PM
:dance1:

manoj1988
12-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Alot of the damper bolts are impacted on and over time actually tighten up more by rotational force. So it will always need to be impacted (1/2" drive) off with an air gun..electric impacts (1/2" drive)may work...I would not heat it up..that makes the boltweaker and also you could melt the front crank seal..Flame in this area is BAD.....