PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearing socket

skibum
12-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Happy New Year, everyone!

I just replaced my front brake set-up; rotors, calipers and pads. I am usually lazy and just replace pads and let them wear in, but I had a caliper stick, so decided to replace the whole works in my '87 4x4 van.

I have reassembled the stuff and got it back on the van. The problem I'm having is the wheel bearing nuts. I went "shade-tree" and just snugged them down with a hammer and big screwdriver.

I measured the nut @ about 2-2/32" (2.1") and did a conversion to 53.34 mm. I would like to get one of those "stamped" steel sockets and give myself the ability to actually put a ratchet on it and snug it up properly. I looked at the auto parts store, but they only had a 2-3/8" as the smallest. I can get a 55 mm socket at amazon, that says it's for Toyota FJ, RN and LN. It's a 6-point socket, so maybe would work for my needs.

Does anyone (Tim/Gwen) know what the actual size that I need is, and a source?

Thanks,
Scott

timsrv
12-29-2012, 09:21 AM
The nut size is 54mm but a standard 2-3/32" socket is interchangeable. These should be be available almost anywhere auto parts are sold. A quick web search should yield many results, but here is a link to one I found: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc1901.html. Tim

skibum
12-29-2012, 09:53 AM
That was a fast answer! Thanks, Tim!

I crossed that over to amazon (I have Prime there, so 2-day shipping is $4). I couldn't get it to show with a 54mm search (I guess I should have tried the inch measurement). Their cost was the same as SJDiscount Tools, but I know I'll get it by Monday from amazon.

I'm pretty sure I got the nut seated and the preload pretty close (5# - 8#, pulling on the lug), but I think I would like to have the tool on hand, just in case.

I've gotten a lot of help from this site and will be dropping a little in the kitty. I'm sending the equivalent of the cost of a Chilton, I suppose. Not much, but I hope it helps a little! :thmbup:

Thanks again,
Scott

timsrv
12-29-2012, 07:26 PM
:) Thank you