PDA

View Full Version : No Horn

batook
01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm trying to fix the horn in my 91 DX 5-speed since it has never worked since I bought the van 4 years ago. The RH side ("H" -- high tone) horn was missing and so was the wiring that connects to it. The horn on that side must have fallen off and taken the wiring with it in the process. This seems to be a fairly common problem since I've seen the RH horn missing from several vans in the junkyard too. The LH side "L" low tone horn is still there, along with it's wiring, but it doesn't sound when I push the horn button.

I got a RH side "H" horn from the junkyard. I chased the existing wiring from the LH side horn to where it meets the big wiring loom near the battery tray, but unfortunately there is only the one wire from the LH horn all the way until that point (I know from taking junkyard horn wiring that there should be two wires, one for each horn). If necessary, I can remove the battery and try to take apart that wiring loom there and see if I can find where the RH wire tore off and re-solder a new wire to it. Instead of doing this, today I just tried tapping into the LH wire and ran another one over to the RH side, attached a horn connector, and installed the RH "H" horn. No luck.

I checked the horn button and it's making a connection when I press on it. I don't hear the relay clicking though when I honk it. IIRC, I used to be able to hear the relay clicking when I pressed the horn, but now I hear nothing. I tried a different relay in the horn spot under the dash fuse cover and it didn't change anything. I also checked the 15A fuse that's labeled for haz/horn and the hazard lights work when the fuse is installed and don't when it's out, but no change for the horn.

I'm not sure where to go from here to diagnose this problem. I would be fine with running new wiring from the horn button in the wheel through the firewall and to the horns if that would work, but I think I need the fuse/relay involved in the circuit and I'm not sure how I would tap into this if I were to run new horn wiring (I can put in a new fuse holder in-line with my wiring, but how does the relay work? Is it simply triggered from the horn button and then sends 12V to the horns?). Anyone have any ideas of what to try or has anyone else that had this problem worked out a fix? I know I'm not the only one since like I said I've seen several vans with their RH horn missing, although the wiring and clip isn't always missing too like it is on mine.

batook
01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
I guess nobody has any advice for me on this one...:?:

EDIT: Got the wiring diagram, so now I'm just chasing whatever wiring I can find to test with my DMM and make sure it behaves according to the diagram.

timsrv
01-23-2013, 09:07 PM
I haven't run into this yet. You'd certainly think there'd still be some evidence of a the old wires..............somewhere :?: