PDA

View Full Version : 1987 4wd tranny fill line?

Cirrus
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi All, This one might help others so I'm posting before I do an all out internet 1 hour data mining operation. See attached photo, I think this line is from the Tranny reservoir and I think its blowing out fluid but only small amounts and mostly upon shut down. Looks like a simple compression fitting? It tightened a quarter turn when I tested it with pliers but I am not sure that will do it, still feels real lose. Is this a common area to leak? Thanks! John

timsrv
01-28-2013, 10:44 PM
That's the speedometer cable. If there's fluid leaking out from it then you may have a damaged o-ring on the shaft for the speedometer "driven gear" inside the transmission. Tim

Cirrus
01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
That's the speedometer cable. If there's fluid leaking out from it then you may have a damaged o-ring on the shaft for the speedometer "driven gear" inside the transmission. Tim

Thanks Tim..... Hope its not unobtainium! previous owner said it burped 4 oz a month of tranny fluid... I am hoping this is all that is wrong.

timsrv
01-28-2013, 11:16 PM
This one is pretty manageable. Using a pair of pliers, remove the metallic 90 deg cable housing from the transmission. Then take the retainer bolt/bracket off. Now you should be able to remove the driven gear w/shaft assy from the transmission. There is an o-ring on the shaft (Toyota Part# 90301-18018). Replace the o-ring then reinstall the assembly in reverse order. The o-ring is about $3.00 & should be available at any Toyota dealer. Tim

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/Drive%20Train/speedodrivengear_zps29c2140a.jpg

Cirrus
01-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks Tim