PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Hose Replacement Strategy

The Critic
03-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Hey guys,

My dad has a 92 Previa with the original hoses at 125k. I've changed out the coolant several times in the last 20 years (probably a bit less frequently than it is called for), and the cooling system is still all original.

As some of you may agree, the quality of components from that era of Toyotas is darn good compared to the stuff now, which is why I am hesitant to replace stuff that still works.

However, if I were to replace some of the radiator hoses as preventive maintenance, which ones should I replace? Normally this is an easy answer (upper hose, maybe lower hose), but there's a gizillion hoses on this van.

Thanks!

Previa dude
03-14-2013, 01:45 AM
DO TO YHE AGE OF THE VAN( NOT SO MUCH THE MILEAGE) I WOULD CHANGE THEM. RUBBER HOSE CAN DRY OUT AND CRACK WITCH CAN CAUSE THE COOLANT SYSTEM TO LOSE PRESURE AND CAUSE THE VAN TO OVER HEAT. THEREUPUO ARE TWO HOSES FOR THE UPPER AND TWO HOSES FOR THE LOWER. I HAVE A 91 LE. I REPLACED ALL MY HOSES. BOTH UPPER AND BOTH LOWER PLUS ALL THE BYPASS HOSES. THERE WAS A TOTAL OF I THINK 8. THE ONLY HOSES I DIDNT CHANGR WERE THE ONES TWO THE HEATER CORE. THOSE HOSES HAVE THE HEATER VALVE BUILT INTO IT. SO SINCE THE HOSES LOOKED GOOD AND THE VALVE IS WORKING FINE I LEFT IT ALONE. I WENT WITH TOYOTA OEM HOSES FROM THE DEALERSHIP I WORK AT, BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAPER FOR ME THAT WAY. BUT ANY OEM STYLE HOSE WILL WORK JUST FINE.

timsrv
03-14-2013, 02:41 AM
You'll probably get a lot of differing opinions here. My 91 Previa with 180k still has all it's original hoses on it. My 86 van with 190k miles on it had all it's original hoses until last weekend when one of my heater hoses started leaking. I usually inspect hoses every year or so. If they start getting soft, bulging, leaking, or otherwise bad condition I will replace them. If they pass a visual inspection and the rubber is firm I will usually leave them be. If for some reason I need to remove them for other maintenance I'll usually replace. Whenever I do major work (like rebuilding an engine) I will typically replace every hose on the rig regardless of condition. Tim

The Critic
03-15-2013, 03:17 AM
You'll probably get a lot of differing opinions here. My 91 Previa with 180k still has all it's original hoses on it. My 86 van with 190k miles on it had all it's original hoses until last weekend when one of my heater hoses started leaking. I usually inspect hoses every year or so. If they start getting soft, bulging, leaking, or otherwise bad condition I will replace them. If they pass a visual inspection and the rubber is firm I will usually leave them be. If for some reason I need to remove them for other maintenance I'll usually replace. Whenever I do major work (like rebuilding an engine) I will typically replace every hose on the rig regardless of condition. Tim

Thanks. I will be doing the thermostat soon (after I finish the front struts) and will check all of the hoses at that point.

npreviaw
06-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Sorry to bump this old thread, but how many hoses does the Previa radiator have? I have a 92, and the radiator needs replacing. The shop claims there are 20 hoses for that radiator and they all need to be replaced at a cost of $490. Just the hoses in parts alone? That seems crazy.

timsrv
06-19-2014, 04:02 AM
There are 2 big coolant hoses & 1 little one that directly hook up to the radiator. If it's automatic, then there's 2 small transmission fluid hoses that hook up to it as well. There are lots of other coolant hoses on the engine & heater system of your Previa, but not likely they'll all be bad. They may be trying to up-sell you due to age of hoses. After 22 years, replacing them all for the hell of it isn't a bad idea, but probably not necessary. If you're on a budget, you can inspect and change just the ones that are leaking and/or show signs of pending failure. You can usually tell when old hoses are getting ready to blow, but not always. Tim