PDA

View Full Version : T-Case Lift

coronan
04-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Any time i have the opertunity to see my van from a far; I fixate on how low the Transfer case hangs.

I as able to lift it about 3/4 of an inch by modifying the bushing and bracket.

Here's how it went:

Burntboot
04-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Interesting mod but a few points come to mind.

First, grab a the longest baking dish you have, set it on the counter and fill it to the brim with water.
Now lift one end and stick a pencil underneath.
Now go grab some towels and clean up the mess. See where I am going with this??

The TF is bolted the transmission which is bolted to the engine.
By raising the aft end by 3/4in you have changed the plane of the driveline.
Further complicating things, the forward mounts are about a foot aft of the front of the engine, so as the rear goes up, the front of the motor comes down, likely on the order of about 1/4in.

The engine has a pump to circulate vital fluids but the trans and TF rely on splash lubrication.
Having changed the relative plane of those fluid may well affect the bath effect within those 2 assemblies.
Also, the "full" mark is likely to be wrong as the fluids will move towards the front of the van to some degree, away from where they are supposed to be.
So filling to the original full mark on the dipstick and to the fill plugs could result in an overfull condition.
Conversely, if you were to fill them with the prescribed amount (ignoring the indicators) you could run into a starvation situation.
Neither would be desirable.

As the front of the motor has moved downward, you will want to verify that you still have sufficient clearance between the fan and the shroud and that you haven't introduced any strain on things like hoses and wiring.

Lastly, with the TF higher, you have also changed the angle on the U-joints and the loads being imparted to the TF as a result.
Watch for new vibrations as they will be a good indicator of potential problems.
The altered mount may not be able to deflect as much as originally designed so that could be an issue as well.

Hopefully I am full of poodle-doo and am way off base on all of my assumptions.
BB

timsrv
04-10-2013, 10:53 PM
I had some similar thoughts but didn't think he was moving it enough to worry about fluids. However, with the short distance between the TF & the rear differential I would worry more about that angle. Still, probably not enough to make much difference. Rotating the rear end though could compensate for that. I rotated the rear end on my Previa after I raised it 2" Here's a link to how I did it: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?3-Lifted-All-Trac-Previa&p=11#post11