PDA

View Full Version : 91 toyota previa motor question

Biggee4x4
04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
I just bought a 1991 toyota previa for 700.00 with 243,000 miles on it with a froze up motor. I bought it because I have 2 kids and one on the way due may 22nd. I have a friend that has a good block out of a 93 or 94 previa but he said it was a turbo motor and mine is a non turbo. I am wondering if any one knows if the blocks are the same on the turbos and non turbos? I know the pistons are different but I can change all that. Or if any one knows where I can buy a low miledge motor for 500.00 or so that would be great! This is my first toyota van and it is an all-track and I love it! I am not sure if this is even the right place to post this or not? Any ones help would be a great help!!!! Thanks, Josh

timsrv
04-27-2013, 03:42 PM
I don't know how different they are, but I checked the EPC for you and see the bare blocks have different part numbers. BTW, not to nitpick, but the Previas never had turbo chargers. Some had super chargers though (that's what the S/C stands for on the rear emblem). Even if the blocks were interchangeable I wouldn't recommend swapping used/worn reciprocating parts from one used engine to another. It would be okay if you were going to bore & get new pistons etc, but not advisable to just swap used parts.

I think your best bet is to contact one of those Japanese engine places. There's one up near Seattle that likely has or can get the correct engine with ~50k miles on it. Of course I'm not sure how the earthquake & tsunami affected that business. Here's a link to their site: http://www.foreignengines.com/

Here's one I found on eBay for $525 but it's in CA and they want $200 to ship http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-90-91-92-93-94-TOYOTA-PREVIA-2-4L-2TZ-FE-NON-SUPERCHARGE-ENGINE-USED-/251266189895?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a80a1ca47&vxp=mtr

For more possibilities do an internet search using the terms "used japanese engines 2TZ-FE". Good luck. Tim

Biggee4x4
04-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Thank you for the info.