PDA

View Full Version : Previa Catalytic Converter Theft!

Makelo
06-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Guys,
I'm now a victim of Catalytic theft. The converter was removed via a portable saw!
It was cut from behind the oxygen sensor all the way down to the rear wheel. Basically from below the pasanger door past the sliding rear door :pissed: I'm missing about 2 feet of tubing.

I initially though they removed the catalytic converter and the resonator!. But I'm now told that SC models in fact came with two catalytic converters. Toyota wants $800.00 for the first cat, and $500 for the secondary.

Can anyone confirm this and upload a picture of the stock exhaust for the 97 Previa model?

thank you in advance.

FYI: I knew the preferred vehicles for catalytic converter theft were Toyota Pickups / Tacomas & 4Runners but never a Previa.

timsrv
06-26-2013, 11:37 PM
That sucks. I hate thieves. They were a big reason why we finally moved last year. If I were in your position I would take the van into an exhaust shop and have them repair the exhaust system with aftermarket parts. They can make it legal again for a fraction of the cost of Toyota parts. The only other suggestion I would have is to watch craigslist for "parting out" ads. Salvage yards won't sell cat converters so those are your only options. Tim

previa of the north
06-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Makelo - Sorry to hear about that.
Were they after the platinum or do you think the thieves will resell the part? Does a Previa cat fit other vehicles?

Makelo
06-29-2013, 02:37 AM
That sucks. I hate thieves. They were a big reason why we finally moved last year. If I were in your position I would take the van into an exhaust shop and have them repair the exhaust system with aftermarket parts. They can make it legal again for a fraction of the cost of Toyota parts. The only other suggestion I would have is to watch craigslist for "parting out" ads. Salvage yards won't sell cat converters so those are your only options. Tim

Thanks Tim, I will go the aftermarket route as oem is too expensive