PDA

View Full Version : rear track bar (panhard bar) removal??

footheter
08-22-2013, 12:46 AM
i just got a free toyota pervia 1995 awd s/c from my buddy that stopped driving it cause the rear driver shock broke free from the axle mount. this resulted in the rear track bar is what i think its called to bend. the bar on the rear of the axle that runs from the driver side of the axle to the passenger side frame. well i got the side off with connected to the axle just fine but the bolt on the frame side is seized to the metal bushing sleeve on the inside. i sprayed it with all kinds of crap and it wont break im thinkin im gonna have to heat it up to remove it which will toast the bushings. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i wanna get this beast on the road!! i have dont the valve cover gaskets plugs wires cap rotor, replaced both rear shocks, and just cleaned her up a bit. i think i might still b leakin a little oil out of the distributer so an o ring might b in my near future.

timsrv
08-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Hi & welcome to TVT! I'm not sure what Toyota calls it, but I've always called it a panhard bar. The bolt that holds it to the body/frame has an "anti-spinning" washer on the head. You should be able to remove the nut from the front without backing up the head. Once the nut is off use a steel bar (similar diameter to the bolt) to drive it out. If it's stuck in the bushing (happens), you will likely need to sacrifice the bolt. If it comes to that, use a cutting torch on both sides of the bolt to make it flush with the mounting flange. Be careful with the torch as to not damage the mount. If you're not skilled with a torch (or just cautious) close is good enough, then use a grinder to make both ends of the bolt flush with the mount. After the bolt is flush, spread the flange slightly with couple chisels between the bar & the mounting flange (front & rear). Once there's enough room for the bolt to clear, whack the bushing end of the bar hard with a BFG (big hammer) and a large steel bar (use the bar as a punch). After it's out you'll probably need to give the mount a little TLC (smoothing out, straightening, painting). If the old bar isn't repairable, go to a salvage yard for replacement parts. Since problems with the bar is rare, I'm guessing almost any Previa you find will have a decent one. Hopefully the bolt will not be stuck in the bushing, but if it is, remove the bar like before & purchase a new bolt. Any shop with a hydraulic press should be able to remove the chunk of bolt from the bushing. Tim

footheter
08-22-2013, 10:12 PM
thanks, i wish i hadnt been so impatient and read this earlier:) i got it off, heated it with a torch and tried beating it out with a punch and the bracket bent quite a bit. ended up cutting the head of the bolt off and it came out real easy. im gonna put the old end of the bar back in and get the bracket back in line, paint and install the new one:) salvage yard has it for $60, might get new bushings and hardware but im gonna see if they can give me the old stuff of the salvage vehicle. im puttin anti seize on that bolt fer sure.

footheter
08-22-2013, 10:15 PM
im not new to working on cars and such but this is a pretty bizarre vehicle i must admit. im pretty stoked though, it was free and ill have maybe $500 into it and i think its gonna b a runner:D i think im a van person now, this thing is gonna take me to colorado for the winter and i might end up livin in it, haha prolly gonna lose the rear and one of the middle seats.