PDA

View Full Version : Previa Tow Hitch / OEM or Aftermarket?

Makelo
08-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Guys, I'm looking to install a towing hitch on my Previa. I was told to look for the OEM instead of the aftermarket as the OEM has the 2 inch receiver vs the 1.75 inch of the aftermarket hitch. Is this true? How can I tell the difference between the OEM and a aftermarket tow hitch for the Previa
Thanks!

timsrv
08-24-2013, 08:15 PM
I wasn't aware OEM makes a hitch. I have seen 2" receivers on Previas before, but assumed they were aftermarket hitches. I searched for a 2" receiver about 10 years ago when I put a hitch on my Previa, but could not find one. I ended up putting a class II receiver on mine (1 1/4" BTW). Class II is adequate as the Previa shouldn't be towing anything bigger than what a class II can support, but there are more accessories for class III (like bike racks), so I could see it for that reason. Tim

Makelo
09-06-2013, 11:55 AM
I wasn't aware OEM makes a hitch. I have seen 2" receivers on Previas before, but assumed they were aftermarket hitches. I searched -for a 2" receiver about 10 years ago when I put a hitch on my Previa, but could not find one. I ended up putting a class II receiver on mine (1 1/4" BTW). Class II is adequate as the Previa shouldn't be towing anything bigger than what a class II can support, but there are more accessories for class III (like bike racks), so I could see it for that reason. Tim

You are right Tim, there are no oem hitches from Toyota. I meant to say the Toyota Dealer accessory & install of the 2' hitch receivers back when the Previas were new vehicles(91-97). My Land Crusier has a Toyota Dealer installed hitch that is made by Reese. Since my LC and Previa are of the same year, I can assume the dealer install hitches on the Previas were made my Reese. Like you stated above, that's the reason I'm looking for the 2' hitch, more accessories availability. I'm looking to install a luggage rack on to the hitch more than towing.
I guess I will be hitting the junkyard soon :)

Previa dude
09-10-2013, 12:16 AM
As a matter of fact there is an oem toyota hitch. i got one at the pick and pull in sacramento ca. it is stamp with the toyota logo an parts numbers. it is a 2" inlet that dose not bolt under the van, but instead replace the factory mounts and the bumper bolts to the hitch.

timsrv
09-10-2013, 06:15 AM
As a matter of fact there is an oem toyota hitch. i got one at the pick and pull in sacramento ca. it is stamp with the toyota logo an parts numbers. it is a 2" inlet that dose not bolt under the van, but instead replace the factory mounts and the bumper bolts to the hitch.

That's cool :thmbup:. Could you post the factory part number?

Previa dude
09-10-2013, 11:20 PM
SURE THING TIM. I HAVE TO PULL THE BUMPER THIS WEEKEND ANYWAY TO REPLACE THE WIRES GOING TO THE HARNESS BECAUSE I HADTHE WIRES TO TIGHT AND ONE OF THE WIRES BROKE UNDER THE BUMPER COVER. I WILL POST A.S.A.P.:)

timsrv
09-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Oh, I thought the number was exposed and easy to read. If you're going in there anyhow, then great. Don't go to all that trouble just for me though, as I don't need the info.........just curious :wnk:. Tim

celeron55
05-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Okay so, this is an old topic, but I'll reply here so we don't have multiple topics about the same subject.

I happen to own a Previa with the non-tow-hitch bumper, and one with the OEM tow hitch bumper. I decided to swap them today, so here are photos of each of them, for future reference:

It's a Toyota part, made in Germany. Maybe they made it only for the European market?

The tow hitch one weighs like 4x more.

The wires don't attach to any connectors in the wiring harness; the connections seem very aftermarket. I don't know if that's how they made them, or if this has been swapped previously.

timsrv
05-20-2016, 05:52 PM
That is very interesting. Thank you very much for posting. I believe you are correct about this being a European market thing. I tried cross referencing the numbers on that tag with the EPC, but came up with nothing. I'm amazed with all the options you guys have over there. Tim

PS: And thanks for your efforts in keeping the site organized. :thmbup:

pdgizwiz
05-21-2016, 09:13 PM
My '97 has a hitch receiver, and it looks very OEM. It isn't like the German one pictured, though. I'll try to get some reasonable pictures and post them here.