PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 high low transfer: shift on the fly?

mountainhick
10-03-2013, 07:51 AM
I transplanted an 87 TV transfer into my 94 Previa, and am just about ready to put it back on the ground and test drive.

In operation, is it necessary to stop the vehicle to shift the transfer between 2wd and 4wd high, or can it be done while moving?

Thanks

timsrv
10-04-2013, 01:39 AM
I've heard these can be shifted on the fly but I've always stopped 1st. Never had the need as I had to stop to engage the hubs anyhow. I guess that's not an issue on a Previa as there's no hubs to engage/disengage :wnk:. Tim

Burntboot
10-04-2013, 09:18 AM
I lock my front hubs once the weather is near freezing or first snow is forecast and usually don't unlock them until sometime in March.
Up here in snow country we have all sorts of nasty things like black ice and snowdrifts that can appear without warning.
I shift on the fly all the time, regardless of speed.
It is however a good idea to make sure the front wheels are pointed straight ahead, if at all possible.

BB

mountainhick
10-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Cool, thanks guys. "Snow country" here as well and often similar conditions with mostly good road except for the nasty bits

skibum
10-11-2013, 10:30 PM
I'll second Burntboot's call. I shift on the fly, whenever needed, keeping hubs locked for the winter.

llamavan
10-11-2013, 11:55 PM
I also keep hubs locked through the questionable weather and shift on the fly when required. Owner's manual cautions not to shift when the vehicle is actually sliding or the wheels are slipping.

Gwen

mountainhick
10-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks All!

mountainhick
10-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Took it for its first spin Friday, had shift linkage trouble, but fixed it yesterday and today ran it in 2wd, 4wd hi and low. Tried shifting at slow speeds from 2wd to 4wd while moving, worked smoothly. I hooked up the 4wd switch to a different indicator light in the instrument cluster that is otherwise defunct with the auto trans gone, and noticed it takes hitting the clutch for it to shut off. I guess it needs to be let go to release the front axle shaft in the transfer case.

skibum
10-15-2013, 03:11 AM
I didn't read the subject, carefully, so didn't notice high/low portion. I don't think it's recommended, or even possible to shift from high range to low range, on the fly. My response was related to shifting from 2WD to 4WD, only. I'm assuming that that was the intent of your question, but just in case, added this for clarification.

mountainhick
10-15-2013, 07:21 AM
I didn't read the subject, carefully, so didn't notice high/low portion. I don't think it's recommended, or even possible to shift from high range to low range, on the fly. My response was related to shifting from 2WD to 4WD, only. I'm assuming that that was the intent of your question, but just in case, added this for clarification.

No worries, I know better than to shift between high and low while moving!

JDM VANMAN
12-06-2016, 01:14 AM
Nice I found this thread, so just to clearify and make sure I'm understanding this correctly-

Scenario 1 is while driving-

1) turn them to lock position
2) and while the van is moving I can shift from 2H to 4H as long as I'm driving straight, and back to 2H without having to unlock them?

Scenario 2 is while parked-

So I have the van parked and it's in 2H so I should-

1) lock hubs
2) shift into 4H
3) and then proceed

Once it's ingaged in 4WD the van can be driven like normal like making turns or even a U-turn, or avoid making U-turns?

thank you for your help:thmbup:

JDM

Burntboot
12-06-2016, 09:15 AM
If the front hubs are locked, you can shift in and out of 4WD as you wish.
The important thing to remember is 4WD should ONLY be engaged on low traction surfaces.

JDM VANMAN
12-06-2016, 03:37 PM
If the front hubs are locked, you can shift in and out of 4WD as you wish.
The important thing to remember is 4WD should ONLY be engaged on low traction surfaces.

Nice thank you very much, I tried it this morning and it works perfect!!

And yes yes no sharp turns on dry pavement at slow speeds.

Thank you :thmbup:

JDM

Ace MM
12-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Scenario 1 is while driving-

1) turn them to lock position
Isn't that hard to do?
I have to lock them when stopped.:wnk: