PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Platform for camping

VanSurfer
11-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Here’s a platform I made for the inside of my 1987 Toyota 4wd Van. Obviously dimensions can be altered to suit your needs. I have made multiple platforms for various vehicles I’ve owned over the years, but wanted this one to be better than most of the wood ones I’ve made. I decided on MIG welding a frame of 1”x1”x0.125” aluminum tubing (due to the strength and lightweight of this versus a wood platform) and covering it with 1/2" plywood. I had some D grade plywood lying around, so used that at first, but will be replacing it with Birch or similar hardwood plywood soon. I designed the platform in two pieces, with one coming out the slider and one coming out the back. The rear piece can stay in while the middle bench is being used, but does not allow the middle bench to be reclined flat into sleep/bed mode. I made a mockup of the platform allowing the middle bench to be used in this way, but the overall platform was not as stable and I preferred for this platform to be as stable as possible. I will be building an additional rear platform that will allow me to use the middle bench in sleep mode. OD dimensions of the Rear Platform are 52” wide X 46” long X 14” tall and OD dimensions for the Front Platform are 48” wide X 35” long X 14” high. The front 12” of the rear platform is one long hatch to aid in access, the front platform can be slid out to access the batteries, and I have the pieces to cover the openings when using only one cooler. I will be using the Deluxe Barrel Catch (http://rvdiscountsuppliers.com/rv-parts-hardware-cabinet-door-catches.htm) (P/N 01103 for 6 pack) to hold down the hatches, with small holes drilled to get a finger in and lift them up. For now I’m using 2 Thermarest DreamTime XL pads (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/dreamtime/product) (77”x30”x3.5”), but will be replacing them with a custom Western Road Sleeper mattress (http://northamericamattress.com/WesternSleeperTruckMattress.aspx) (80”x50”x5”). I designed the platform at this height to try and maximize headroom with the 5” mattress, while still allowing good storage underneath with Medium sized Rubbermaid tubs, Action Packers, and milk crates. I also spaced out two spots so I could drop in 1 or 2 of my 65qt coolers,,, since the coolers are 14.5” tall, they needed to be dropped in, but the mattress makes the 1/2” difference unnoticeable, and they are basically locked in and do not move at all (which is key while tailgating or day trips, when cooler is loaded but not much else is packed around it). I could’ve made the platform about 2” taller and the coolers could’ve slid in, but decided to go the route I did after weighing pros (sliding in a full cooler is easier, flush top height, draining cooler w/o removing it) and cons (seated height, cooler stability as noted above, ease of opening). Next step will be to replace my carpet with vinyl, to save my good carpet and ease cleanup. I’m sure I’m forgetting some key points,,, but let’s get on with the pictures.

Here’re both pieces before plywood top is added.

Here’s the plywood top, showing cooler drop slot.
Here’s middle bench seat and rear platform.
Yup, its doggie approved.

timsrv
11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Nice job! As you already know, for weight and strength, the aluminum frame is far superior to wood. Did you cut, assemble and weld this yourself? Looks like you got the ultimate camping vehicle! Thanks for the pics and the write-up. Tim

VanSurfer
11-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks Tim. Yup, I did it all myself, with the exception of most of the welding on the rear portion. I made the rear portion first, and I haven't done much welding since auto shop in HS (about 20 years ago),,, so wasn't confident at first. After helping on the rear portion and some practice on scraps,,, I was ready to tackle the front portion by myself. Many a fouled welding tip along the way, some grinding and sanding, and blammo,,, a nice platform was the result. I used about 100' of tubing and chatting with a local supplier netted a cost of about $1.10/foot. Only other costs at this point were a couple of cases of Tecate consumed during the process,,, you know, to help with the measurements. :drunk: Next on the fab front will be front and rear bumpers. I've seen some pics of nice ones on TVs, but don't know anyone who has tackled this themselves. 2" receivers will be incorporated into front and rear, for winch, tire, or bike rack use,,, as well as lighting tabs front and rear. The rear will have a swingaway tire and rack mount, similar to Brenton's on HF, or I might just go with something similar to GoWesty's Swing Away accessory for full size spare and gas/H2O cans (http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4251&category_id=383&category_parent_id=). I'm so happy to be back in a 4wd van, and am loving the economy of the TV so far. I do lots of surf/kayak/bike/climb trips and looking forward to the adventures that my TV will get me into and out of. Cheers, Adrien.

NEC
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Adrien: I don't know what size my futon mat is but I got it from a co-worker who was trying to put it in the dumpster for fee. It fits perfectly in the back of my TV and I can actually roll it up and rope it so it fits below my in floor storage. These can be got at most junk/goodwill stores or CL for most of us budget challenged.

About having a good 4wd camper: I don't know how I ever made it without one. I recently went out exploring in the FWD wagon in the local hills with the kayak on the roof and spent about 3 hrs trying to find a road the 2wd car could drive on to get to the water. I eventually went home after plotting all the road blocks into the GPS. If I had my TV and my chainsaw I would have had a lot better day.:lol:

Btw, I sold my other spare car tonight and will be contacting you soon with my wish list of paddling gear...

VanSurfer
11-05-2010, 08:57 AM
About having a good 4wd camper: I don't know how I ever made it without one. I recently went out exploring in the FWD wagon in the local hills with the kayak on the roof and spent about 3 hrs trying to find a road the 2wd car could drive on to get to the water. I eventually went home after plotting all the road blocks into the GPS. If I had my TV and my chainsaw I would have had a lot better day.:lol:

Btw, I sold my other spare car tonight and will be contacting you soon with my wish list of paddling gear...

Howdy Walt, I hear ya about the need for 4wd in exploration. When I lived up in WA ('90-94), the engine in my '82 E350 4x4 blew up and I didn't have the $ to fix it,,, so fell back on using my '92 Ranger 2x. Sucked getting turned back when the goal was within site, especially when I was already used to going almost anywhere. Gave me lots of opportunities to park the Ranger on a dirt road and start hiking/biking in. That was slower sure, but I was in a lot better shape than I am now. :wnk:

Congrats on selling the spare. I've got a list and am ready. :thmbup::clap::drool: