PDA

View Full Version : parts and parting out

hikersteve
12-04-2013, 12:33 PM
hey steve here i am new to this sight but have had toyota vans for 4 years. i am trying to get three on the road for my hiking company.

i have one running, 87 at auto 4wd and two project cars 87 and 88 manual both hi lo 4wd, and an 87 at parts van, i am picking up my fifth van

from a hauler this week who is giving to me for 200 and letting me strip it down then picking the body back up in two months.:)

i wanted to get a comprehensive list of things to pull off the new one. i have taken the engine, heater core, exhaust system out of parts van

and am working on tran and two axels and transfer case all for spare and rebuild. the new van is turning over but not getting any fuel and transmission

shifts smooth and 4wd drive seems to be engaging so i plan on taking these all out. really i plan on stripping it down completely but need a

list of important parts so that i can plan it out and get it done.

Also putting it out there that i will have alot of interior parts and will take request on some mechanical parts, i do want to keep just about

1 full set of parts but should have extra. unfortunately my two parters have bad hatches and front fenders so dont have those.

any input is appreciated

thanks steve

robgagnon
12-05-2013, 12:24 AM
As you are parting out: looking for tan/brown dash in non cracked condition, if you please!

Rob
415-572-7939

ratatouille
12-05-2013, 01:25 AM
Hey Steve. Really need both power window switches if you have them and they are workin' . And back side glass on both sides, if it's clear (not interested in blue tint). My email is ryan.qcow@gmail.com. Hopefully we can arrange somthing if you got em'. Thanks a lot.

I'm fairly new to these vans within the past 2 or 3 years, but my first thought is, take as much as you can! Good luck with the tear down.

Burntboot
12-05-2013, 08:45 AM
If you find yourself with an extra set of steering column covers and a left side speaker grill I would be most appreciative and maybe the inside trim piece at the top of the windscreen. (colour does not matter)

As to what to keep, I would buy a storage unit and keep at least one of everything, so many parts have gone NLA it just isn't funny.
BB

trestlehed
12-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Steve,

Don't know if your '87 parts van is Auto or 5 speed, or even a 4wd... But if it's a 4wd 5 speed
I need the shifter console. I'm converting my '87 Auto 4wd and adding the Hi - Lo
transfer case with cables and shifter. Could use the engine lid cover that has the proper holes
and what-not for the mod as well.

Thanks!

hikersteve
12-05-2013, 03:05 PM
so on the parts you guys requested so far:

RYAN window switches: my parts van had power windows, i remember because before i bought it from wrecker i pulled the window motors, the panelswere pulled off it though so i will have to look through my parts boxes to see if i have, otherwise i only have one van with power windows.
there was another van that i was looking at but dont remember if it had powerwindows. i will probably going back because it had a pretty groovy faux wood trim set on dash and i believe it did have powerwindows. what do you think they are worth, i had kinda given up on it cause its in the sticks and the guys kinda a tweeker and hard to deal with. not trying to get money out of you just dont really wanna deal with the guy. so much so that he was gonna give me van for two hundred dollars and his tweekyness and the difficulty of getting it off his property made me decline. i will look for the ones in my parts and let you know i will try and give guy a call and check for sure on other. am willing to help though. will email you to make contact. oh ya only have one set of not blue rear windows, and they are on my runner, but i am scrapping one that has blue next week should i just pull them in case you dont find clear

ROB dash: sorry all blue one gray, wrecker near me has a white 2wd that i believe had tan dash, will that work, if so i will double check on color

BB steering column:i think i will have column cover in blue and grill. did replace mine because a screw tab was broke off i see if i have a decent one, what do you mean by trim on windscreen?

VANFAN 2spd conversion: have to hold for now, however i am looking for same as the whole side where ebrake is, is busted off, if i find one i can definitely send you parts you need as you can use auto shift column, just need rubber piece and metal bracket, these pieces are more aesthitic though, i can send you pictures and precise measurment on two holes that need to be cut in passenger side engine cover they are exact same circle as auto shfter cable so you can at least do mod and find shift column later. i am sure i will be able to give up column pieces eventually.

i will still look for all these pieces on my van searches always willing to help and know how hard it is to find parts
steve

Burntboot
12-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Steve - By windscreen trim, I mean the soft piece on the inside at the top in between the A-pillars.
Not a big deal either way but the column covers and grill would be sweet, I wish I only had one broken tab, they are all broken.
Don't know what the PO did with it, maybe he just never heard of lefty loosey??
Thanks
BB

robgagnon
12-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Rob here: yes please if tan "padded" dash top in good shape from van a wreckers, then I am interested in mutually beneficial arrangement.

VANFAN: I have some stuff such as a hi/lo shifter with knob and I might have a console for manual/4WD in tan that might have small crack in easy to fix/not easy to see place. I might have transfer case selector cable. I am in SF and will be in San Diego end of December... I might have 4WD drive shafts front differential etc. I am leaving soon, so call me at 415-572-7939 Saturday.

hikersteve
12-05-2013, 07:36 PM
burntboot,

the cover over the rear a/c ducting? on the ceiling ?

Burntboot
12-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Steve - Nope - if your sitting in the drivers seat, look up at the top of the windscreen. On the inside of the glass right at the very top where it meets the headliner there is a piece of trim that runs full width (at least I think it is supposed to, mine is 2in short on the passenger side) side to side, between the 2 front pillar trims.
Now I am far away from you and in a different country and while shipping fee's are bad enough it's all the crap they add at the border that truly bites.
They even charge a fee to calculate the tax owing on the purchase!
But the good news is my sister "winters" down around San Bernadino.
Not sure when she is heading down but probably sometime after Christmas.
Might be a lot easier for both of us, to ship it to her place (once she gets there), saves all the stupid paperwork too.

Let me know what works
Thanks
BB

hikersteve
12-06-2013, 09:35 AM
ya sounds good, stay in contact, i do believe i have one of those to spare
i will check on everything and pm you next week to figure things out.

robgagnon
12-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Rob here: I have a perfect condition rear AC "distributor duct" that is on the ceiling behind both passenger and driver seats. Light tan/beige. I am in San Francisco, will be in San Bernadino Sunday, and would $50 be acceptable? I am raising money selling parts to build out by van into a camper. Call me at 415-572-7939 if I am to bring any parts to San Bernadino as I am packing tomorrow.

Also have an extra brand new set of rear brake shoes for $20.00.

hikersteve
12-08-2013, 10:58 PM
windshield trim. ya there are two corner pieces that go there i have and long piece across entire window. sounds like you may just need the 3 inch corner pieces. dark blue, i will send picks tomorrow.

ratatouille
12-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Steve, been a few days. Just following up. Hope the work is moving along. If any of the vans has got an alternator in it (working or not) I'll take that off your hands as well. I'm not sure what the power window switches are worth exactlly. I haven't looked around for too long, but I haven't been able to find any used working. I'll need both passenger and driver, the entire switch boxes. Last time I checked toyota didn't have any master switches available, and the small passenger switch was 65$ or so.(with an employee discount)

Burntboot
12-13-2013, 08:19 AM
HS - Interesting, 3in corner pieces, ya say??

This is what I got, though, in real life they are right side up, (why do all my pics show upside down??)
I'll take whatever you have to fill the void, Maybe we go A-pillar to A-pillar then none of it matters.

Hey, noticed you over on the T4 site, good to know there is another crazy who owns the 2 best vehicles in the world :)
BB

hikersteve
12-16-2013, 06:24 PM
ya when i looked closer and was taking off the "3inch corner piece" it was actually connected all the way down past handle. i got the cross piece though, and i am wondering if it just shrunk in your van as it is just rubber?

hikersteve
12-16-2013, 06:27 PM
ya burntboot just got second t4wd, has 87,000 miles on it.

complete polar opposite pf vans as far as ease/difficulty to work on.

hikersteve
12-16-2013, 06:30 PM
ryan
we got nailed with some snow so i wasnt able to get up and check out van yet. hopefully this week

Burntboot
12-16-2013, 07:46 PM
No worries, we are getting lots of the same here and bitter cold to boot (currently -24C)

I have no clue what they did to mine, but the A-pillar trims are all busted up too so if you have all 3 pieces that would be sweet.
In fact lets go with the grab handles and screw covers too and then it'll all match, no one will be the wiser.

87K,wow.
Probably no rust either? I'm envious.
Polar opposites indeed, but they do make great bookends.

hikersteve
12-20-2013, 06:02 PM
hey guys havent forgot about y'all just busy until after the holiday will get moving on things after the 5th of January
steve

mr_josh
01-08-2014, 10:51 PM
If you find yourself with the top of a motor off, I really need an idle air motor (the big one on the under side of the intake plenum).

Let me know, and good choice of company rig!

Josh

TIM
01-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Hi, on my van, I need the parts where the rear bumper bolts to(the frame?, I don't know if you would cut it off behind the body part? if you need a picture I can take one, but then I'd need your email address.
thanks,
TIM

Burntboot
01-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Hey Steve

Been buried under snow and cold for some time but did hear from sis, she is already down there languishing in the sun.
Will dig up the details and PM them to you a little later.

Thanks
BB

shellsandsurf
02-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Do you have the rear bumper rebar? Also looking for a glove box. Thanks!